Mark Barton's Terrifying Encounter

Explorer

Mark Barton, one of the two principal field investigators in central Florida that form the "Trail to Bigfoot" team apparently had a terrifying and traumatic encounter earlier this year while alone in a NF cabin (location not disclosed).

In this interview, he shows the mental trauma that this encounter caused him.

Whatever he encountered, it scared the hell out of him and he is done with BF research.

I listened to the full interview and tend to believe that he did experience a very strange encounter.  But I am not sure with what or whom.

The interview is almost 2 hours long, but worth to listen to.  

I had seen videos from Mark and Chris previously, and they tended to focus on tracks, physical traces, sound and video evidence. 

Thus, this encounter story surprised me.

A link to their Youtube channel is below.

In those older videos, you can see Mark doing field research in central Florida before this incident occurred.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmjZMCMPWuUXTvQyg5fKaLQ/videos

• Upvote 1

Admin

He's so emotional about it...  I don't know, a lot of drama.

Mind speak...   mentally raped....  and they talked to him...  multiple Bigfoot at the same time...  I can't watch much more.

• Haha 1

So he had no clue that people go missing in national forests . Okay he's trying to say in all his time researching he never once heard of 411

Not buying it or his story 

Normally I try not to scream 'hoaxer' at people in this field.  Our attempts at self regulation get taken to an extreme by a few self appointed hall monitors and it becomes toxic.

That being said...

@7.62 is right.  You have been in this field for 8 years and you have never heard of Missing 411?  I constantly hear about Bigfoot celebrities that I am unfamiliar with...but Missing 411 pretty much permeates the Bigfoot community.  

The comment that Mark makes about Finding Bigfoot is almost verbatim from hid one prior pre-breakdown interview that I watched.  Where he couldn't remember the name of the show for a second and then it comes to him.  It seemed rehearsed.

He definitely seems much different than he previously appeared in his channel.  He appears sickly and less vital than on older videos.  Something has happened to him.  Either 'mindrape', a mental breakdown, or something else.

That being said, I find parts of what he is claiming to be intriguing.  I believe that something of a paranormal nature occurs in proximity to these flesh and blood creatures.  That paranormal element is then conflated with the creatures themselves.  However, the high level of detail makes me think of someone who came up with a story and just didn't know when to stop adding detail. 

Maybe he was hit with infrasound and the resulting damage led him to concoct this story?

@MIB.  I almost messaged you about this video.  I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I watched it.  I'm torn .. not sure, with only personal preference about what I'd like the truth to be to draw on.

I do not think he is lying .. I don't think a person can keep up the facade that long.   I believe that he believes what he is saying whether it is true or not.    I would say it is either true as delivered, or some of it is true and has been in some way reinforced / expanded on in such a way he is not aware of untruth in it.

A few years back a friend .. my hiking / bigfooting / hunting buddy .. spent a weekend with a volunteer group restoring trails into the area we research.   They spike camped Saturday night, the organization that they were volunteering for brought in food, water, etc by pack train.    He said that in the middle of the night, when he was in his tent, something was pressing down on his chest squeezing the air out of him.   (Sound like Barton's account at all? :)) He said he told "it" that it was killing him and asked it to stop.    It did.   He could find no evidence of his experience the next morning.     Though a bigfoot knower, he rationalizes that experience as sleep paralysis ... and maybe it was.   

I see a few possibilities regarding his account.

1) It is a hoax.  (As above, I do not think this is true.)

2) It is true, word for word.  (I sure hope not ... but I do not have complete confidence, only wishful thinking.)

3) Something terrifying happened and was reinforced in a way that he believes the account he shared.     That is where sleep paralysis might be the seed and his mind trying to cope with it, subconsciously constructing the rest of the story, could be the reinforcement.    Without intending to assassinate his character, we have to consider substance abuse.   Does not seem like he is a drinker but by his own words, he stayed absolutely plowed for the rest of his time there.   Alcohol poisoning is a thing and at that level, alcohol can trigger hallucinations which can be connected to pre-existing intense fear.  

There is no way for any of us to investigate to ferret out truth from this.    We bring our preconceived notions of what is and what isn't, how people behave and how they don't, to the table and they color our interpretation of information presented to us.   Sometimes right, sometimes wrong.  

I think the wise thing is to keep it under consideration, like the Missing 411 accounts, in case the set up / precursor things seem to be happening to you so you can use what he did as a tool for getting yourself out of it, but do not overly dwell on it so that it ruins your time out there.  

So, y' know, take it under advisement, but know there is no way to either validate or refute it based on anything other than pre-existing personal bias.    ... and continue to be careful out there.

MIB

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

One of the better judges of Mark's character and the objectivity of his claims would be Chris Conner (his partner for ~ 6 years in the Trail to Bigfoot research effort).

Chris, however, has been very quiet and has not fully supported Mark on his claim (see his first and only Facebook post on the subject on the link below).

From his post, he appears to be baffled and confused.

He does say that this topic is a pit and that he does not want to go into the pit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Education-Website/The-Trail-to-Bigfoot-1848814755332069/

1 hour ago, Explorer said:

One of the better judges of Mark's character and the objectivity of his claims would be Chris Conner (his partner for ~ 6 years in the Trail to Bigfoot research effort).

Chris, however, has been very quiet and has not fully supported Mark on his claim (see his first and only Facebook post on the subject on the link below).

From his post, he appears to be baffled and confused.

He does say that this topic is a pit and that he does not want to go into the pit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Education-Website/The-Trail-to-Bigfoot-1848814755332069/

That's really interesting that his long time partner in research would comment like that.  Kind of sounds like there's a lot going on with Mark but it's not bigfoot related .

9 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Normally I try not to scream 'hoaxer' at people in this field.  Our attempts at self regulation get taken to an extreme by a few self appointed hall monitors and it becomes toxic.

That being said...

@7.62 is right.  You have been in this field for 8 years and you have never heard of Missing 411?  I constantly hear about Bigfoot celebrities that I am unfamiliar with...but Missing 411 pretty much permeates the Bigfoot community.  

The comment that Mark makes about Finding Bigfoot is almost verbatim from hid one prior pre-breakdown interview that I watched.  Where he couldn't remember the name of the show for a second and then it comes to him.  It seemed rehearsed.

He definitely seems much different than he previously appeared in his channel.  He appears sickly and less vital than on older videos.  Something has happened to him.  Either 'mindrape', a mental breakdown, or something else.

That being said, I find parts of what he is claiming to be intriguing.  I believe that something of a paranormal nature occurs in proximity to these flesh and blood creatures.  That paranormal element is then conflated with the creatures themselves.  However, the high level of detail makes me think of someone who came up with a story and just didn't know when to stop adding detail. 

Maybe he was hit with infrasound and the resulting damage led him to concoct this story?

@MIB.  I almost messaged you about this video.  I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

When a story starts off with a lie and in  my opinion his does I then mostly discount everything else a person says.

I also believe  something weird happens around them .

• Like 1

I just watched the whole thing between 10:30 and 12:00 last night. This is the weekend before my national forest hike in hunt next weekend. A little spooky. If what he says is true, then it would re-enforce my theory that most knocks are vocalizations.

I watched most of it but came with a different set of conclusions.  First, Mark needs help.  I do believe he believes everything that he thinks happened, as it happened.  He is not hoaxer.   With that said I could not ascribe anything said to real BF behavior, even the most outlandish 411 type reports.  If anything it was spiritual in nature but then I am not sure if I would even go there.

Go hike.  Prepare first as their are predators out there and some of them are probably big and harry.  Seriously doubt if they are as Mark explains.

When we do this hunt almost every year, we see plenty of big hairy predators in the form of black bears. I have had a couple of weird night time visits in this area over the years that I suspect were sasquatch related, however, I wouldn't miss these trips for anything. 

On 9/3/2020 at 9:32 PM, 7.62 said:

I also believe  something weird happens around them .

Yup.

Whether it is caused by, is related to, or is completely independent of Sasquatch...weird stuff happens. 

With the level of detail that he has supplied in his account....I believe that @MIBmight have struck the nail on the head with his 2nd possibility, "Something terrifying happened and was reinforced in a way that he believes the account he shared."

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I find it very interesting that the guy can be part of the most boring video series for years, no activity, nothing, and then suddenly experiences something so terrifying, it brings a grown man to tears.

1783292116_holysmokesbatman.jpg.a271de52087e98c096700ee3c6acb3aa.jpg

Edited by Arvedis

Guest Tiocfaidh ar La

I watched the video.....not going to lie, I thought it was a tough watch, sorta slo-mo car wreck.

My impression is that of a man on verge of a nervous breakdown, if not already in the throes of one.......not a man who was "mind-raped by The Masters".....sent back to our Earthly reality to warn everyone of our pending demise...

There are Prey & Pawns......and those humans The Masters deem totally insignificant....I can't subscribe to this.

I hope Mark finds peace and gets and help he might need.......

You know some thing. There is one that we cannot do. That is that we cannot mock him for coming out . Speaking about some thing that he might have experienced that we might have not. We were not there so we cannot say what really happen to him. Maybe he has met that breaking point. We just do not know. What I know is what I experience was real so I can understand where he stands on a mental level. He calls it mind rape, others call it mind speak. Either way it happened to him and others and I have tested it and it is real. I just did not let it get to me.

I see what you are saying and I understand. That is just fine with me. It is hard to understand this type of trauma. Unless you or myself has actually experienced it our selves then we will never know what he went through. The closes that I can get to what he is going through is PTSD. That just takes time and even then one is still not over that trauma. These creatures can effects each and every one of us different.  We just do not know how it will effect us until we go through it. But I am glad that you were able to watch it . That you "hope Mark finds the peace and get the help he might need". That takes allot to wish some one well. Especially some thing that happen due to bigfoot.  I think that allot of us felt the same way that you did when they watched this.

Heck, I did not even know him. Until someone mentioned him to me. Then I started to really read up about him and his research on Bigfoot and the swamp ape. When I finally seen that there might be some thing real about this. If this is true then we are all in trouble. Instead of us hunting them we be the hunted. Yet, does that not how it feels like it now when we start to search for them ?