Checking out Marble Mountain next week.

PNWexplorer

Nearest town is about 45 miles of logging roads away.  This is about as squatchy as it gets...

Marblemtn.PNG

Edited by PNWexplorer

Absolutely. Can't wait for the pics - about got goose bumps reading it.

Good luck and stay safe. I wonder if taking the UTV isn't that bad of an idea. It might be better than the old man remembers or at least might be able to get you a bit further than the truck.

Wow, an adventure of a lifetime.  I agree with NatFoot. Can you go part of the way on UTV then backpack the rest of the way?  Any amount of distance you can cover by motorized vehicle reduces the trek in especially with an 85-year old, no matter his excellent condition.

Any idea the cost to locate a open field reasonably near by and have a helicopter fly the two of you in and out? That would allow more time for the two of you to enjoy the area of your destination.

Edited by wiiawiwb

The old man said he drove up there last week to make sure he remembered the spot and said the terrain from the road to the boulder was just too thick.  He got out of his vehicle and walked a few yards from the road and determined it was impassable by motorized vehicle.  He has an ATV as well.  Too many logs on the ground to get in without hours of chainsaw work.

I also found an unusual sign.  A rather large, flat rock was sitting on top of a fairly freshly broken off branch.  The rock was obviously thrown and landed on the branch.  This was in the middle of an old skid trail where no humans have been since the last time my friend visited the site, over a decade ago.  I don't know of any animal that can pick up a rock and throw it so it lands on a branch.  Odd.

IMG_20200901_154339269.jpg

It was a great day, and I am always amazed by the sheer vastness of the wilderness out here.  On the way back, we stopped at an overlook to take in the view.

IMG_20200901_181101358.jpg

IMG_20200901_181209727.jpg

• Upvote 3

Wow, what an amazing adventure! I am so happy that you both got to go and then actually found the memorial! Great photos. Congratulations! ❤

• Like 1

Your 85 year-old friend is an inspiration along with yourself. And thanks for sharing such a poignant personal moment at the location of the plaque, PNWexplorer.

8 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

I also found an unusual sign.  A rather large, flat rock was sitting on top of a fairly freshly broken off branch.  The rock was obviously thrown and landed on the branch.  This was in the middle of an old skid trail where no humans have been since the last time my friend visited the site, over a decade ago.  I don't know of any animal that can pick up a rock and throw it so it lands on a branch.  Odd.

IMG_20200901_154339269.jpg

It was a great day, and I am always amazed by the sheer vastness of the wilderness out here.  On the way back, we stopped at an overlook to take in the view.

IMG_20200901_181101358.jpg

IMG_20200901_181209727.jpg

My dads ashes are buried under a large bull pine snag.

Thanks for sharing that!