Winter Is Coming

VAfooter

Admin

Depending on the source, it is going to be either really bad or milder than normal. Just a heads up for your winter planning:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/farmers-almanac-winter-weather-forecast-cold-snow-north-midwest-great-lakes-south-dry-rain-west-coast

How much do you get out into the woods during the winter months?

Appreciate the heads up about Old Man Winter. I enjoy getting out but most is to snowshoe or backpack for an overnight.

I haven't done a lot of sasquatching in the winter. I try to either stay out of the woods during hunting season but will go in if I can get in and out at very early or late hour.  My sasquatching efforts in winter are generally just looking for footprints around ponds. 

I actually prefer going out in early and late winter. There are much fewer people out and about. My outdoor activity in winter now is ice fishing. I don't do much exploring by snowmobile or winter hunting anymore. I'm getting a bit old for that. But ice fishing from heated tents is wonderful!.........as long as it isn't -30 degrees. 

December through January I hunt late season big game, if i have a lottery tag, upland game birds and turkeys. February through march is hiking for exercise and scouting for spring turkey.

I prefer late fall through winter.  

Fewer people, which cuts down on potential noise pollution or man-made disturbances to the environment.

Not to mention that the temperature is so much more bearable.  I have been out of the field for basically the past month.  The humidity has been higher than usual... and the usual is already pretty damn high.  

16 hours ago, Doug said:

December through January I hunt late season big game, if i have a lottery tag, upland game birds and turkeys. February through march is hiking for exercise and scouting for spring turkey.

And dead Sasquatches?

23 hours ago, VAfooter said:

How much do you get out into the woods during the winter months?

As often as I can, but honestly, hiking through the rain sucks. It rains for 9 months straight here, almost. And the rain tends to cover up footprints fairly quickly. The brambles rip at rain gear. The rain makes it difficult to hear noises, and isn't conducive to "squatchtronics" gear. After an hour or three of this, the idea of a hot coffee and a hot meal instead of traipsing around in a soaking wet muddy forest sounds pretty appealing. 

One endearing quality from all that rain is the deadening of sound. That allows you to sneak up more easily on a sasquatch. Of course, that works both ways too!

Growing up hunting around a town that received about 140 plus inches of rain, I came to enjoy hiking in the rain. I prefer cold sunny weather for hunting, but for hiking, give me rain. 

Dead sasquatches seem to be gobbled up quite quickly by the temperate rain forest here in Oregon's Central Coast Range.  I have never seen one. Then again, I have never come across a dead cougar. I have come across dead black bears twice. Other than deer, elk, birds and what is left over from rodents that were preyed upon, was a weasel.

Supposed to be a nasty winter in my area, which is good.  I love snow and winter weather.  Plus a nasty winter will cause a lot of California immigrants to move back down south where they belong.  Last winter was a weird one.  No snow for most of the winter.  I had bought tickets earlier in the year to fly down to Arizona with my girlfriend and visit my folks, who winter in Yuma.  It was January and there hadn't been a single snow storm, which is exceedingly rare.  As soon as we leave for Arizona, a major storm hits and dumps a foot and a half of snow.

Another storm hit right before we flew back, so I got to drive in snow for the first time that year late at night on the way back from the airport.  Discovered that the AT tires I bought were terrible in the snow, lol.

I have a new set of different tires in the garage I'll put on next month.

In my area, the only winter recreation in the woods is snowmobiling.  Just about every road into the mountains is closed in the winter, and you aren't going anywhere in several feet of snow unless you have a snowmobile.  I don't have one, so...

I love winter, and I despise summer - it's only good for my garden! I like that there are fewer people out and about. We find our best evidence in the months of mud, here in Oregon. I'm looking forward to seeing what we discover this upcoming mud season! Not terribly excited about TONS of snow, though. That is best enjoyed through the living room window, while reading a good book and drinking hot coffee!

The three areas I go to have challenges in the winter accessing them once there is a fair amount of snow on the ground.  One, you have to drive a 1,000' ascent by car which presents a challenge on a country road that isn't well maintained--especially going downhill. Another, is a 10-mile flat drive most of it on a dirt road that is also not well maintained. The third, is a two-mile jeep trail that is not maintained at all making it impassable in winter's snow.

All three of these have no cell service so if you get yourself in trouble, good luck. That's the reason I hit it hard before the snow flies because once it does, sasquatching comes to a schreeching stop.

Edited by wiiawiwb