Trailcam artifact question

wiiawiwb

Ah....so much for my attempts at humor ;) I was thinking actually of a bull Elk in the PacNW. Although a hunter here in Maine did suffer some injuries after being tossed 20 ft. by a bull Moose.

Edited by hiflier

I don't use scents much.    I have some apple cover scent.   One time a bottle ruptured inside my jeep.   At the time, I was hauling my daughter back from weekend visitation, and I thought it was the apple scented shampoo she used.   Dang, that's strong!   When I found what it really was, I was real happy I had not been using skunk cover scent.  :)   I have some bear-in-heat lure somewhere.   I'm going to pour that over some hippie rafter's ice chest ... when that poor SOB gets back to town after watching a bear "hump" his ice chest out across the sand bar, he's goin' to whup his drug supplier's rear end for selling him spiked weed.   Or so I imagine it.  

Seriously, when I hunt, I hunt the wind.   Worked for a few hundred thousand years, seems to work for me, too.  

MIB

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 7.62 said:

Never really used scent other than walking through some cow manure 

When I get back from the woods and have inevitably driven through cow manure during the day (they are free range out here and hand out on the roads) it's like getting dried cement off of your vehicle.:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

I tried some doe-in-heat and horse blanket with horse hair years ago. Just got bears and coyote. Bears will climb and destroy the drippers and felt units. A coyote stretched up a tree and destroyed a low hanging dripper. The horse blanket-horse hair combo drove the bears crazy because they climbed and could not get to it. If you are going to experiment with scents, have gloves, double sealing food storage bags. Make sure that you do not handle the scents until you have set up your camera(s) / audio gear. Keeping your human scent away from your electronics can be difficult. I wear nitrile gloves and my hands sweat and the gloves drip my essence so I leave a sweat trail.  Do your scent deployment and double bag the soiled gloves. Leave the area quickly because there is a chance that some drips of animal essence found your clothes and boots.

I have not done scents for a long time. I just try to be me. They smell the skin cells and sweat drips that I trail behind. I drink a lot of coffee and leave Catmandoo Pale Ale for them to check out my DNA. Nothing grows where Catmandoo goes........they know it is me. No surprises with store bought foo-foo.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

If one starts taking doe-in-heat internally about two weeks prior to opening day, that works best.Raccoon urine you can delay until a week before opening day.

I hope you find my hunting tips useful. You're welcome, in advance.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

When I go out scouting for deer I try to go on rainy days. This will usually wash my scent away even though I still spray scent away on my self and my boots. I wash my clothes and try to be as scent free as I can. I do the same with my game cameras as well. They get sprayed with scent away as well.  I also use these earth wafers as well so that I can smell as natural as i can during hunting, I some times take my clothes and rub them in the dirt in the area that i am hunting as well.  I put all my stuff in a scent bag and change in the field.