How close would you get?

Moonface

Right, I posted something about that awhile ago. Parks and public lands are overrun with mostly idiots. The trashing is taxing the employees and they've said they need volunteers. It will probably continue until frost/snow starts.

7 hours ago, JKH said:

Right, I posted something about that awhile ago. Parks and public lands are overrun with mostly idiots. The trashing is taxing the employees and they've said they need volunteers. It will probably continue until frost/snow starts.

I typically stay away from our local national park in the Summer for that reason but was over last weekend, my gods man--inconsiderate idiots abound-- swarms of them. Some batting rocks down onto the hikers below the edge to a soundtrack played by another group that could be heard the whole way down the mountain. I've not seen this there but sure it's not the first time. No respect for where they are, no consideration, no relationship--it's only a backdrop for the petty human drama. It's experiences such as those that get me thinking: Homo-notso-sapiens--what a failed species, we just don't know it yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

BFF Patron
On 9/9/2020 at 12:26 PM, Madison5716 said:

All of our bigfooty forests are on fire.  I hope they got somewhere safe.  I don't know if we'll have a bigfooting season this year at our regular muddy lakes.  Might have to venture further.  I'm wondering how they would react to being pushed out of their home ranges and into someone else's. They either had to move way in on Eugene or way out towards the top of the Cascades and Bend, with the locations of all these fires in the last week.  Hmmm....

For those out of the region,     as of yesterday 10% of the population of Oregon have been forced to evacuate their homes because of approaching wildfires.    Most of the Western half of the State has poor or hazardous air quality from smoke.   You can bet that bigfoot are being forced to flee for their lives and are suffering from smoke inhalation.   This amount of fire at the same time has never been seen in historical times.   Washington has many fires too.      

15 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

For those out of the region,     as of yesterday 10% of the population of Oregon have been forced to evacuate their homes because of approaching wildfires.    Most of the Western half of the State has poor or hazardous air quality from smoke.   You can bet that bigfoot are being forced to flee for their lives and are suffering from smoke inhalation.   This amount of fire at the same time has never been seen in historical times.   Washington has many fires too.      

Yep, it's pretty bad here. Ashes are everywhere, and still falling.

This is a view from right outside my front door just now:

20200911_095006.jpg

BFF Patron

I was in Seaside for a few days and the visibility got down to a couple of hundred yards at one point.   Abandoned there to return to my place in SW WA and after I got here the smoke moved in here.    I was outside a while ago and some fire nearby is making weather.   A light drizzle was falling and improving the visibility.   Visibility is up to about a half mile now.     Reminds me of the discussion about the campfire smoke following you around.  

The number and size of fires in the West this year is alarming.

I have been using the website linked below to monitor the fires in places that I frequent in CA and OR.

https://ucanr.edu/sites/fire/Safety/Current/

I extracted map images for fires in northern and southern Oregon just to illustrate the magnitude of the problem this year.

Best safety wishes to all who live close to these areas.

The area in northern CA in the Siskiyou Wilderness that I visited in July  (shown in the map below) is burning and Hwy. 199 is closed.

Northern Oregon Fires.PNG

Southern Oregon Fires.PNG

Truly alarming and sad. In August, I thought maybe it wasn't a bad fire year, but I thought too soon.

Edit to add that NWS says possible rain for Monday and Tuesday.

Edited by JKH

There's 500.000 displaced people in Oregon right now.  I know two who have lost their houses already definitely and a dozen more who have been evacuated.  This is horrible. Climate chaos SUCKS!

BFF Patron

From 1955 to the late 1960s there were very few major fires in Oregon.    The forests were logged and managed.    Then the environmental (?) activists started stopping logging which has resulted in no thinning and very little logging.    Clear cuts may be ugly but they make excellent fire breaks, to slow and control fires.      One of the fires that is over 120,000 acres right now was spotted on the 8th of August and allowed to burn for weeks staying under 15 acres for much of that time.    When it got to 150 acres they started trying to contain it.    But the winds hit and it blew up in the last few days.   You want to guess why it was allowed to burn so long?   So the state could continue to get federal fire fighting money.   Think of the money in 120,000 acres of timber that have been lost.     Idiocy in government on display.   .  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I'm a stickler for following rules, so at the risk of getting close to the political bounds, your last statement, swwasas, is true. Two dead and dozens missing. 

I was supposed to go on my High Cascade draw tag for deer this weekend and the rest of the week. Half of my hunt area is on fire and the woods are closed. The majority of the cascades are a very dangerous place to be right now from CA to WA.

Yesterday, the Willamette Valley had the worst air quality of any place. The days this last week were so dark from smoke and ash, you couldn't see the sun and it was so dark during the day, the street lights stayed on most of the day. At 4:30 pm on Wednesday, it was like 7:30pm, which is getting pretty dark. 

My wife, who barely survived covid and myself who, after having covid and multiple lung infections and still have trouble breathing, are having a hard time with this. These fires are effecting people in a lot of ways beyond the flames. 500 evacuated, many who lost everything they own, and the illnesses that vulnerable people are experiencing from the smoke will probably exceed 1000. I work with several people who evacuated and didn't lose their homes while others I work with lost everything. Very devastating and one can only do so much to help them overcome what they have gone through, but, we do what we can.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron
22 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

There's 500.000 displaced people in Oregon right now.  I know two who have lost their houses already definitely and a dozen more who have been evacuated.  This is horrible. Climate chaos SUCKS!

IMG951812.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron
On 9/2/2020 at 7:05 AM, Moonface said:

If a BF was standing there passively (not showing any aggression but not moving away) what do you think would be the minimum distance between you and the BF that you'd be comfortable with?

Interesting question.....I guess it would depend on what one believes about Bigfoot.

If you believe all they are cracked up to be, then the Bigfoot has allowed you to get close enough to observe passive behavior and is not moving away, then just walk up and say hello!

I personally would take the shot and end the mystery once and for all. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 2:29 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

When I have gone out alone, I have had exactly zero activity.  I may have seen possible signs of previous activity, like possible prints, but nothing else. I go out with Jessi and it's a completely different story.

I have tried various olfactory signaling approaches in the past in the way of horse hair, horse blankets, store bought animal scents and smelly gifting items.

I was in a drugstore, waiting in a long line and in my boredom, scanned the numerous offerings. 'Estrogen supplement treatments'.  Anyone want to take one for the team and bulk up on estrogen? Possible side effects are talking and driving with one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. Might help with preventing Alzheimer's too.  Be sure to wear iron underwear.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

I have tried various olfactory signaling approaches in the past in the way of horse hair, horse blankets, store bought animal scents and smelly gifting items.

I was in a drugstore, waiting in a long line and in my boredom, scanned the numerous offerings. 'Estrogen supplement treatments'.  Anyone want to take one for the team and bulk up on estrogen? Possible side effects are talking and driving with one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas. Might help with preventing Alzheimer's too.  Be sure to wear iron underwear.

It's all fun and games until you get dragged off into the forest to be a 'woods wife'.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2020 at 8:32 PM, VAfooter said:

I have always thought that the incident with the couple viewing BF from their sleeping compartment on a train was the best way to have a sighting. Given that is not an option, 100 yards minimum, preferrably 500 or more looking through high powered optics and it does not even know you are there. Also terrain would be an important factor as well.

I'd love to hear or read that account of seeing one while on a train, never heard of that before. 

I know I saw a bear cover 50 feet like it was nothing going after a hunter that stumble into him. The hunter first shot didn't stop him and his second the bear was within 10 feet when it fell.

• Upvote 1