Parabolic dish suggestions

Skinwalker13

Hey everyone, im a former touring musician and I have a ton of audio equipment just laying around. Im going to build a custom parabolic microphone in a couple weeks and I was currious if anyone on hear had any dish recomendations. I have a background in fabrication so I could make one myself but I was currious if anyone has had any luck finding a pre made dish. 

Thanks!

Enjoy the pun btw lol

@BlackRockBigfoot yes, I did. I used an old stainless steel mixing bowl...not parabolic, but it does work. 

If I recall correctly, you can pick up just the dish, an actual parabolic shape on eBay, but they were a little out of my price range at the time, and a cook at work was tossing out the mixing bowl, so I used it instead.

I posted photos of the build somewhere in the In The Field section, I think.

Here's the link:

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

@Skinwalker13

Did you end up building that parabolic microphone setup?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the Wildtronics mini, but haven't bought it yet.

@BlackRockBigfoot I haven't had a chance to get my vac-u-form table finished yet. We've printed the dish form but ive got to get time to finish that table. Im hoping that i can get it started while my wife is on spring break. We have to get this Massive UFO out of the shop first though and installed in the museum.

• Upvote 1

I built one once from the dish from a parabolic heater that had broken down. Disassembled, attached a microphone. Worked great until I stepped on it and bent the crap out of it.

I made one from a plastic dish I found on amazon once too, like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085HDB8PC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_XSJVCPBNM9CPDEWNY7KQ but it wasn't the same had different holes in it. Seemed to work ok. Shattered in the cold being careless tossing it in my Jeep.

1 hour ago, Doodler said:

I built one once from the dish from a parabolic heater that had broken down. Disassembled, attached a microphone. Worked great until I stepped on it and bent the crap out of it.

I made one from a plastic dish I found on amazon once too, like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085HDB8PC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_XSJVCPBNM9CPDEWNY7KQ but it wasn't the same had different holes in it. Seemed to work ok. Shattered in the cold being careless tossing it in my Jeep.

Remind me NOT to loan you my parabolic dish! :-)

• Haha 2

I'll echo what BRB said. You can buy a parabolic dish or an entire setup at Wildtronics.  They have three types of dishes you can choose from and the YouTube video below explains the differences. I haven't as yet purchased from them but when I get a parabolic dish, I'm getting their entire package. They have a 22" dish or the 11" mini which is the one that interests me as I have to carry it in a backpack.  I found them to be very helpful on the phone.

https://www.wildtronics.com/store.html#!/All-Purpose-Parabolic-Parts/c/11897290

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phWui2eE8QM

Edited by wiiawiwb

On 3/23/2021 at 9:42 PM, Incorrigible1 said:

Remind me NOT to loan you my parabolic dish! :-)

They lasted a good long while, I swear. The plastic one only cost me like $15. Worked great. Used to bring it regular hunting too, could pick up a squirrel fart at a hundred paces.

• Haha 1

I modified my dad's old bionic ear parabolic with a PowerDeWise lav mic off Amazon.

To install the mic I used a small section of pipe insulation and a piece of fishing float. That way I can adjust the mic in and out for best reception.

Coupled with a tascam dr-05x digital audio recorder you can hear the air flowing over birds wings at 50 yards.

it's cheap and works. Eventually I'll get a bigger dish. I'm thinking about a big stainless steel wash bowl from the dollar store.

Edited by mooseman
  • Upvote 1