Leather Boot suggestions

wiiawiwb

20 minutes ago, Explorer said:

My favorite boot for about 20 years was the Zamberlan 620 Cibetta (size 12).

I owned 4 pairs and they provided good ankle support during backpacks and I never got blisters.

Then in 2017, Zamberlan discontinued it and replaced it with the  960 Guide GTX.

While Zamberlan claimed it had the same sole construction and fit as the Cibetta, it did not fit and led to blisters right away on the toe box.

REI tried stretching the toe box, but it did not solve the problem.  I returned the pair to REI and instead bought the Asolo TPS 520 GV.

The Asolo pair worked as good as the Zamberlan with no blisters and good ankle support.

Nonetheless, I read in the reviews that many people complained of the sole's coming off while backpacking!  I did not experience that issue.

Apparently the quality control on their glue is not good.

Thus, I am looking to replace them with something new this year (my boots only last about 5 years).

I like the idea of using doubled stitched soles and trying something like the Zamberlan Tofane.

However, I rather order it from a place that I can return it if it does not fit.  Unfortunately, REI does not carry it.

@Kiwakwe Are you still happy with your Zamberlan Tofane?

@wiiawiwb BTW, I did not see the Schnees Absaroka available in their website anymore?   It appears that it has been discontinued.

Maybe I should try the Schnees Divide Mid, which is the closest design to what I had before but better quality.

I have a pair of Kennetreks I like. I see Kuiu is now offering boots too. Sorry I run more in hunting circles.

9 minutes ago, norseman said:

I have a pair of Kennetreks I like. I see Kuiu is now offering boots too. Sorry I run more in hunting circles.

What model? There is a guy that deals Kennetreks out of his house here, so thinking of trying some. I have a pair of Meindl work boots I don't love - not a fan of insulated summer work boots.

24 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

What model? There is a guy that deals Kennetreks out of his house here, so thinking of trying some. I have a pair of Meindl work boots I don't love - not a fan of insulated summer work boots.

These are Italian style too.

My pair.

https://kenetrek.com/products/hardscrabble-hiker

Has anyone tried a hand built Spokane boot? Like Whites or Nicks?

https://shop.whitesboots.com/fire-boots/smokejumper-lace-to-toe/

I have Whites boots from 30 years ago. A set of Loggers and a set of packers. Once broke in they fit like a glove and they are rebuildable. I think both mine are on their second life and are needing a 3rd.

The smoke jumper is probably the most hike oriented style.

I wear my Carrharts at work, and hiking too. I have a pair of SmartFeet insoles for them because I have kind of flat feet. But they are more comfortable at the end of the day than my tennies.

Feet are a funny thing and unqiue to each of us. One person can find a brand of boots that are like a little bit of heaven on each foot. The next person could swear he's wearing cement blocks.  As long as they bring comfort, it's all good.

37 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Feet are a funny thing and unqiue to each of us. One person can find a brand of boots that are like a little bit of heaven on each foot. The next person could swear he's wearing cement blocks.  As long as they bring comfort, it's all good.

True. But a hand built boot measured on your feet should cut down on some of those inconsistencies from brand to brand.

No doubt a hand-built boot is the best way to go if price were no consideration. Sadly, a custom boot is expensive which removes that experience for most people, myself included.

Leahy Custom Boots price out at $2,475, Esatto $999, and John Calden $1,350, are a few of the custom bootmakers out there.  Peter Limmer has been making custom hiking boots for a long time.

I'm thankful my feet happily accept stock footwear.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 2:31 PM, Explorer said:

@Kiwakwe Are you still happy with your Zamberlan Tofane?

I am, rock solid. Long break in period though. No blisters but have yet to haul a heavy pack with them, plenty of miles with a lightweight.  We'll see about the former come June.