Three toed track

norseman

Signal is bad. Hopefully this submits. Son and I are archery elk hunting in the Selkirks.

Found this track in duff. Two tracks about 5 feet apart. First track had three toes i could make out. No heel. Second track was just a scuff mark.

We were in between Mineral crick and White man crick on the west side of molybdenite mtn. Above dry canyon. Closest town would be Ione, Wa.

We were about 4 miles in from the USFS road. Right now we are headed over the pass to bunch grass meadows. Gonna find a camp spot woth camper.

We are getting close to the old femur bone find. Road is worse than ever....

Wish us luck on wapiti! Take care BFF!

4B5BF56D-49D6-4372-B16F-02D98713DB95.jpeg

458A93A3-A70E-4F77-8506-B2B95BC2D0B6.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Nice find with the track. Looks like there is a clump of debris (pine needles, leaves) where the fourth would be and maybe even the fifth.

Have fun, good luck with the hunt, and with your sasquatching.

• Thanks 1

We have a signal up on monumental mtn. Wolves howled last night. And it rained. Hopefully will knock down some smoke.

Thanks guys!

The track looked pretty fresh. It was in a western red cedar grove. 

• gigantor featured this topic
1 hour ago, norseman said:

We have a signal up on monumental mtn. Wolves howled last night. And it rained. Hopefully will knock down some smoke.

Thanks guys!

The track looked pretty fresh. It was in a western red cedar grove. 

We have one area where we consistently find 4 toed tracks... Usually around man sized but sometimes smaller.

They look like a wider than usual adult sized bare print, but with four distinct large toes and extremely flat feet.  

Good luck with the rest of your trip!  Our weekend was heavy rain and humidity in the 90's when it wasn't raining.  Hopefully yours is more comfortable!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Thanks for sharing.

In your opinion, what do you think made the track?

Something bigger with toes. Which you can never rule out bear or human I guess. But I didn’t see any claw marks. And 5 ft stride? And I doubt a human is barefoot where we were at. I’ll upload my best guess as to the location.

It was one of those moments where you go hmmmmm......

5A6FC67C-F0A5-4949-A8B6-239EFEE4CE5F.jpeg

Thank you very much for the response. My first impression was a bear. 

Knowing your expertise as a hunter and outdoorsman is why I did not dismiss it.

• Upvote 1

Admin

That is odd for your area of the country. I know that three and four toed tracks are not that unusual in South Arkansas and on down through Louisiana to the Honey Island Swamp.

Three toed tracks are found through here in South Carolina, of course they are usually attributed to the Lizard Man legend that is big around here.  I have never seen one... neither three toed tracks nor lizard man.  

We have found 4 toed tracks in the Chattahoochee and Oconee forests, usually near a river there.  About as long as a fully grown man's track but broader with fat toes.  I also thought that they looked like Fred Flintstone feet.

I have read about the Lizard man. I thought the damage and sightings were attributed to misidentifications.

Alligators to be exact. No matter. It is a good story.

Thanks for the reminder.

1 hour ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I have read about the Lizard man. I thought the damage and sightings were attributed to misidentifications.

Alligators to be exact. No matter. It is a good story.

Thanks for the reminder.

They tried to blame the damage to the vehicle as the result of a dog at one point, but bite force tests ruled that out.  

The local sheriff backed up the original story, but skeptics claimed that he was in on it.  The original witness passed a polygraph test concerning his encounter, but there were claims that the test was faked for publicity.  As with most of these encounters, the waters are so muddied that no one can tell what really happened.

Nowadays it an interesting regional 'cryptid', like the Hodag in Wisconsin.  There is a festival and everything.

Interesting picture.     I can't really tell.    Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but my impression is this.   It looks like rather than having the forest floor duff pressed into the mud underneath by the weight of whatever made the track, instead, that duff stuck to the foot and was lifted away.    I suspect there are 2 more toes that are on that duff at the left side of the track, that that part broke off from the part that was lifted away with the foot.    Why it was lifted away .. it stuck to pitch or mud on the foot bottom.    I don't know how big the track is, but it could be a bear hind foot .. a partial.   That's be my first guess.   Those toe-like marks don't seem to show any joints or bends and they are oddly shaped, almost triangular.    With tracks that far apart I would look in between for additional prints that would point to something with shorter rather than longer legs.   Evergreen forest floor duff is a booger to track in on the best of days.  

MIB

• Upvote 1

Some more pics with toes. All Bear but the one wolf track. The first one the toes line up pretty good. Griz? Second one is sluffed in but Can see claws. Third one looks like a small bear stepped on wolf track. And then the wolf pic....

The other track I saw looked like a big toe far right and then smaller toes going left. Like a human. 

And yes I think last two toes either didn’t make it to clay underneath or it lifted some of the duff with it. I didn’t see any large disturbances between the 5 ft stride.

Back to the ranch to regroup. Never saw an elk nor did one answer my call. Smoke is bad. 

45CD3B84-B12E-4A7D-B31C-117D0F27333D.jpeg

E6EFB42D-FD14-4680-BAF0-4A0DE3A714BD.jpeg

26416068-2728-48D9-A39B-8CC7C9393457.jpeg

183F5216-B93C-4203-B0B9-120B86829BA5.jpeg

After looking at it? 3 might be a big Tom!

SSR Team

Good luck getting your meat Norse, enjoy some quality time with your boy too ! ;)

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic