Three toed track

norseman

How long does your hunt go on?   How's the smoke now?     Ours finally broke a couple days ago.   It was ... miserable.   We lost much of 2 towns and had a little damage at the ends of 2 others.   Last estimate was 2800 buildings destroyed .. no breakout between homes, businesses, and out-buildings yet.  

Anyway, hunting season begins for me 10/3.   This morning I did a little range work with 2 rifles I might call on as backups in case I have mechanical problems with my primary.    Feels good to be ready.   Much of my normal hunting area is closed by USFS and BLM so that 1) people don't get in the way of firefighting equipment and 2) to keep from starting new fires.    I kind of like hunting in the dry crunchy stuff because everyone else seems to stay home and I have it to myself, but this is too dry.    And, depending on which way the wind shifts, sometimes pretty smoky.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MIB said:

How long does your hunt go on?   How's the smoke now?     Ours finally broke a couple days ago.   It was ... miserable.   We lost much of 2 towns and had a little damage at the ends of 2 others.   Last estimate was 2800 buildings destroyed .. no breakout between homes, businesses, and out-buildings yet.  

Anyway, hunting season begins for me 10/3.   This morning I did a little range work with 2 rifles I might call on as backups in case I have mechanical problems with my primary.    Feels good to be ready.   Much of my normal hunting area is closed by USFS and BLM so that 1) people don't get in the way of firefighting equipment and 2) to keep from starting new fires.    I kind of like hunting in the dry crunchy stuff because everyone else seems to stay home and I have it to myself, but this is too dry.    And, depending on which way the wind shifts, sometimes pretty smoky.

My son got a week off work. But archery is from the 12-24.

The rain on Friday made the smoke go away. Blue skies. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect spot, I wish I was sitting next to you.

I hope to get out at least one full day this long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) for mule deer, even though its supposed to rain all weekend.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Out on the ranch today. Took some photos of a track way. Think its bear. Photos are fuzzy sorry. Trying out a new arm band for my phone. Allows me to see my Onx maps and track on the fly. Guess camera caught my sleeve.

The tracks are big. But the snow is wetter and the tracks are somewhat old. A week or so. The real knock is that the tracks are close together.

5D6FA56B-B659-40A1-99F4-7F45A8C0E498.jpeg

CF47C656-48B9-4392-A27D-E3245BF8BD48.jpeg

292BB175-1749-4317-8583-125A5F923911.jpeg

1 minute ago, norseman said:

grouse and snakes. .44 mag.

Snow snakes?!?!

Jumped two grouse earlier this week. One in the dark, the other in the middle of the day. A jumped grouse in pitch black will make your heart skip.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Snow snakes?!?!

Jumped two grouse earlier this week. One in the dark, the other in the middle of the day. A jumped grouse in pitch black will make your heart skip.

LOL! Yup!

We are definitely past snake season now. 

Even in daylight, flushing a grouse right at your feet in tall grass will set you back on your heels! Of course, so will a rattler, and I've done both.:blush:

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured this topic