Is there a consensus on Finding Bigfoot TV show?

PNWexplorer

I used to love watching that show years ago, but it eventually got annoying.  I watched a few episodes last night and they reinforced my earlier impressions of the show.  

Since it is the most famous of the shows that deal with Bigfoot research, just wondering what the consensus was among Bigfoot enthusiasts and if any of the cast members are on this site.

I really don't hate any of the cast members, but have some observations of them and their characters:

Matt Moneymaker:  Easily the most annoying.  His knowledge and observations seem solid, but for some reason, his voice and face just grate on me.  Seems a bit prima Donna compared to the other folks.  Very quick to label the most obscure evidence as verified proof of BF when it often clearly is not.  Seems the least knowledgeable about general outdoor things.  I get the impression that he was a city kid that learned everything about the woods on the internet.

Cliff Barackman:  Most likeable, intelligent, and reasonable.  Very balanced in his views of evidence and Bigfoot behavior.  Seems adept in the outdoors and competent.

James "Bobo" Fay:  How can you not like Bobo??  Seems like a great guy and has a lot of knowledge, but is also quick to accept sightings and evidence that are questionable.  Obviously another city kid, but doesn't seem to pretend that he's an expert outdoorsman.

Ranae Holland:  Seems like a sweet person, but she was cast as a skeptic and it was obvious by the third season that she really did believe, but had to play the role, and annoyingly so at times.

As to the methods, it seems like almost all of their eye-witness reports and videos are from the daytime, yet all of their investigations were done at night.  When they are in the field, they make no attempt to be stealthy or use an abundance of equipment effectively.

They go out, make some howls or tree knocks, talk out loud for a few minutes, then scan the trees with FLIR, freak out when they see a deer, bumble through the woods for a few hours, and call it a night.  The last episode I saw, they had a woman present pretty amazing audio recordings and she said they happen nearly every night.  You would think they would go to her place, set out some audio equipment, find out how she gets them to start vocalizing, and do that for at least 3-4 nights.

But they didn't.  They stuck to their predictable and ineffective methods.

The show had great people, great media and video quality, and seemed well produced.  But the actual field work and techniques seemed questionable and ineffective at best.  Several times they go and camp out alone and say they had something come into their camp or brush their tent, or whatever.  But they never set up cameras around the camp to actually capture any images or sounds?  

You would think that a show that supposedly is trying to find Bigfoot would actually use more gear and technology that is commonly available.  I've seen folks here that have more and better equipment than that show.

I'm thankful that the show ran for seven years and presented the Bigfoot community in a mostly rational and reasonable light, but it's frustrating to see all those reports and witnesses not really seriously followed up on in a more effective manner.  But I suppose that's the reality of Reality TV; mostly just for entertainment.

Wondering if others here share the same view, or have a vastly different take on it.

As long as you know it's only entertainment, not a serious attempt at finding Bigfoot, it's ok. It's helped spread the word and get more interested, so it's not all bad.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I'm eternally thankful it opened the eyes of people to the world of Bigfoot and sasquatching.  It also helped to remove the "taint" that some people had with the very subject matter.  I couldn't have dreamed such a project, pitched it to TV executives, and ultimately have it a successful series for as many years as it was. My hat is off to Matt for all his efforts in doing so.

Admin
4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm eternally thankful it opened the eyes of people to the world of Bigfoot and sasquatching.  

In that respect it was good; however, now you have everyone and their cousin out in the woods doing knocks, howls, and whatnot. I think it has raised the signal to noise ratio considerably. Rock is correct, view it as entertainment, not as serious research. I do not think that you can research effectively with a camera and production crew trudging around the woods with you.

Enjoyed the townhall meetings.

HATED the raves, disco lights , fireworks and such to "attract" bigfoot.

Hated they portrayed Bobo as a doofus, he's not.

Should have spent more than a few hours in the woods.

Should have not covered up possible sounds with dramatic music.

I could go on, I guess my expectations were too high.

I agree with wii's and VAfooter's comments. The show itself was really sort of like the Harlem Globetrotters; it was for entertainment, not showing real serious research. To be fair, it had to be entertaining or ratings would have been too low to justify keeping it on the air.

As wii and VA said, the big positive was the awareness of Bigfoot it either created in people or maybe helped increase with those already mildly interested. And especially with younger people. In the town halls there would be kids in the audience, along with some teens. Some of them might be tomorrow's researchers and maybe at least some take cameras and/or recorders with them into the outdoors.

I think I watched two episodes, one of which was the Prince of Wales Island episode because of my fascination with that particular area, and both were disappointments. The BFRO contribution to sasquatchery was its online report collection, subsequent and prompt investigations, and its database. The Finding Bigfoot show probably did more harm than good. Spreading awareness of sasquatches multiplies false reporting, hoaxing, and the Bigfoot-behind-every-tree effect.

• Upvote 1

I liked the episode they did in the San Gabriel mountains North of LA, as that has been my backyard for much of my life, so it was cool hearing about sightings so close by(maybe I'm not crazy!)

I recall seeing Cliff posting here a few times, or at least replying to the posts of others, maybe four or five years ago, I think it was.

I appreciate it for what it was.

A somewhat entertaining show about bigfoot.

Cliff did post here and answer questions and emails.

Ranea does not believe in bigfoot. She had some speaking engagements after it ended. Of course I agree with her,but Cliff is my favorite member.

Here is my take on all of them.

MM believes way too much.

Most likely fuelled by livelihood.

CB nice fella. Too polite to doubt liars on the show

JF believes everything.

RH believes no one. 

8 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Ranea does not believe in bigfoot. She had some speaking engagements after it ended.

I don't understand how she could not.  After meeting with so many credible eye-witnesses, and experiencing things in the woods that she admitted had no explanation, and finding tracks?  I don't get it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

I don't understand how she could not.  After meeting with so many credible eye-witnesses, and experiencing things in the woods that she admitted had no explanation, and finding tracks?  I don't get it.

That is where we differ. I get it.

I have family members who go out regularly and I have listened to many witnesses.

The case for bigfoot is an interesting one to say the least. There is in fact very good anecdotal evidence,but there is simply no verifiable evidence to examine .

It was a show designed to appeal to the broadest base possible in order to attract advertisers who bought commercial spots to sell cat litter and toilet paper.  

For people who were not overly interested in the subject, it was fascinating...as shown by its popularity and longevity.  Not a lot there for those of us who are consumed with the subject or those who hate the standard reality tv formula.  But, we are not their target audience.  A lot of custom motorcycle mechanics probably didn't watch that Orange County Choppers show either.

It did present the Bigfoot phenomenon to a much larger audience, which was a mixed blessing.  It's died down some now, but having every other person in the woods banging sticks together and howling definitely muddied up the waters.

However, I think that these shoes serve an important purpose that is not really mentioned a lot...  The expose the next generation to the subject and encourage them to get out and LOOK.  How many people out there owe their interest in the field to In Search Of or later Monster Quest?  

Maybe the kid who will someday grow up to finally prove that these things exist is sitting there watching reruns of Expedition Bigfoot right now... eagerly awaiting the day that he is old enough to go out there and look for himself.

On a personal note, I originally found pretty much all of the cast members unlikeable.  However, I chalk that up to the 2 dimensional nature of reality television characters. A member of the forum recently turned me on to Cliff's podcast, which I am enjoying a great deal.  I find myself agreeing with him more often than I expected and find him to be a very likeable fellow.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SSR Team
On 10/4/2020 at 5:06 AM, Rockape said:

As long as you know it's only entertainment, not a serious attempt at finding Bigfoot, it's ok. It's helped spread the word and get more interested, so it's not all bad.

There we go, spot on Rock !

BFF Patron

@BlackRockBigfoot "It did present the Bigfoot phenomenon to a much larger audience, which was a mixed blessing.  It's died down some now, but having every other person in the woods banging sticks together and howling definitely muddied up the waters."  Ditto, I personally was introduced to the Prez of BFRO on an outing to  remember, actually camped with him one night with another member.  I learned all I needed to know in that long weekend.  Having said that if it were not for the BFRO database and local sighting opportunities therein I never would have devoted five intensive years of my life to research leading to having an actually sighting and longterm hot spot (six years).  It actually was the dedicated researchers and auxilliary members of BFRO such as Stan Courtney, Matt Pruitt, Leigh Culver and a few others.  Cliff Barackman is the real deal and represents the field better than anyone since Thom Powell moved on the Mufon. My consensus is that Town Halls and people's sightings are mostly authentic and the most entertaining part of the show. It is very difficult to conduct research with sound recordings after the popularity of such a show brought out the masses. @VAfooter "In that respect it was good; however, now you have everyone and their cousin out in the woods doing knocks, howls, and whatnot. I think it has raised the signal to noise ratio considerably." < THIS