Ebikes

norseman

Torque monster is the Bafang ultra mid drive. No matter what bike mfg you settle on? This is the drive system I would want. Not hub drive.

BFF Patron

Make sure you check that the brakes disengage the motor every time you ride.     I rented an electric bike in Maine and it took me into a 4 foot ditch because the motor did not disengage when I applied the brakes.    Broke a rib in a couple of places and cut me up pretty bad.     I looked like I had just been in a bar fight.   I  hit the gravel enbankment doing nearly 30 MPH.   I went over the handlebars and then the bike hit me in the back when it came down.     The pain was something for a few days.    Good thing I was on a cruise and had free booze to kill pain.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Make sure you check that the brakes disengage the motor every time you ride.     I rented an electric bike in Maine and it took me into a 4 foot ditch because the motor did not disengage when I applied the brakes.    Broke a rib in a couple of places and cut me up pretty bad.     I looked like I had just been in a bar fight.   I  hit the gravel enbankment doing nearly 30 MPH.   I went over the handlebars and then the bike hit me in the back when it came down.     The pain was something for a few days.    Good thing I was on a cruise and had free booze to kill pain.   

I do not believe my brakes disengage the motor. That’s either up to your thumb or stop pedaling. My bike has a thumb throttle and pedal assist.

BFF Patron

I had one one beer with my lobster roll for lunch so whiskey was not the culprit.      It surprises me that braking does not disengage the motor.    Most Ebikes are set up that way.  I wanted to covert my fat tire bike to a mid drive motor but Bafang specifically said that my bike pedel geometry did not work with their drive.   You do have a tremendous amount of torque that shows up in your climb in the video.    I went with a hub drive motor.    I mostly ride abandoned logging roads as they go where I want to go,  so the grades are not terribly steep.    But they are all up and the electric motor helps with a climb.    I do want to mention that unless some BF blunders in front of me when I am riding a bike,  I doubt that I would even know one is present because you have to pay so much attention to riding the bike on a trail.        You have to stop often and look and listen.  

Edited by SWWASAS