Sasquatching in the northern Idaho region

wiiawiwb

I've been giving some consideration to moving to the northern Idaho area where western Montana and eastern Washington State are a day trip.  Coeur d' ALene looks good as it is a city with a population mass to support commerce and is close (enough) to Spokane and the Flathead Lake Region.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this area as far as how the economy? How about the sasquatching opportunities in this general area--are they good?

• Upvote 1

Admin

Right now I think that would be my dream move, maybe a little further north, closer to the border. I hope it works out for you!

North Idaho is getting ritzy. I would rather live in central Idaho. St. Marie’s and parts south, Orofino, Whitebird, Riggins. Or on the other side. Salmon, Challis, etc.

North Idaho has great beauty. Priest lake is a gem. Lake pend Oreille is as well. Lake couer d alene is busy. Most of it is in summer. Much like Flathead is.... Even the Columbia here is getting busy in summer.

• Upvote 1

If I were forced to leave my native Montana, northern Idaho would be my first choice. The country is beautiful and the people are typically very friendly. Coeur d' Alene's climate is moderated somewhat by Lake Coeur d' Alene in much the same way as Kalispell and the surrounding country by Flathead Lake. Like the Flathead area, Coeur d' Alene derives a lot of income from the tourist industry. My wife and I over nighted there two weeks ago on our return trip to Helena from visiting family in the Seattle area. We stayed in a business class hotel near I-90 and there weren't many empty spaces in the parking lot. We dined at a popular local sports themed pub and it was packed with people waiting in line for a table. Just read Norse's post and don't disagree; I'd likely pick one of the smaller towns off the I-90 corridor, but we're retired. The nice thing is, even if you settle in the city, you're minutes away from wild country.

If you have kids, the Silverwood Theme Park is just 15 miles north of the city on Highway 95. We took our kids there several times in the late nineties and early oughts, the last time staying in the large RV park they operate. Post Falls, between Coeur d' Alene and the Washington state line is home to the Buck Knives factory. Even though I've been through the area many times since the mid-fifties visiting my dad's brothers and my older siblings around Seattle, often staying overnight, Norse certainly has much more knowledge of the central area. I have spent time at Priest Lake and in Sandpoint on Lake Pend Oreille. We spent ten days in August of 2019 in Wallace and explored some of the back roads and local attractions. Nathan Footer lives somewhere up in north Idaho, you might PM him. If I can answer any questions shoot me a PM. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I've been giving some consideration to moving to the northern Idaho area where western Montana and eastern Washington State are a day trip.  Coeur d' ALene looks good as it is a city with a population mass to support commerce and is close (enough) to Spokane and the Flathead Lake Region.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this area as far as how the economy? How about the sasquatching opportunities in this general area--are they good?

I currently live in the northern panhandle near Sandpoint,ID.  I am always looking for folks who are serious about field work. Feel free to send me a PM or email.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

A good friend moved to Priest Lake several years ago. He and his large family are very happy there. He is one of the finest men I've ever known......quite literally a rocket scientist (missile defense engineer). He now manages a significant federal facility in the region. While here in Alaska he was an adventurous outdoorsman, and he tells me that the outdoors opportunities around his new home are quite satisfying. 

One of the nice aspects of such an area that I miss as an Alaskan was illustrated by Airdale above: you can drive to so many places so quickly and easily, both urban and remote. It's four long, hard driving days for me to reach northern Idaho (over 2000 miles), and through a foreign nation who won't allow me to carry weapons without significant intrusion, documentation, fees, etc. While Alaska's remoteness has its advantages, its island-type political and geographical attributes definitely have its disadvantages, too............

• Upvote 1

Drove some backcountry farm roads today testing out my new tires.  Lots of mud and fresh tracks, but all belonged to deer and coyotes.  Tires performed amazingly well, though.

IMG_20201014_124559820_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 3

• gigantor featured this topic
BFF Patron
7 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

I grew up 80 miles South of Coeur D'Alene and moved back here a few years ago.  Most beautiful country you will find.

However, it's been sad to see that area get invaded by Californians and change from a sleepy resort town to San Diego.  Spokane is referred to as Spokompton or Spokanistan.  I would never live in either town.  I would look a little further North in Sandpoint or Bonner's Ferry.  The increased snow has kept the California invasion to a minimum.

My company has a field office in Spokane.  We have dozens of such offices all over the country and world.  The most problems we have with theft and homeless is by far at the Spokane office.

My favorite place in the world to fish is on the Coeur D'Alene river for Cutthroat trout near Kingston, ID.  It's 125 miles from my house, and the worst part of the drive is getting through CDA with all of the California refugees.

sF_ODSmeS8yBKq7ULddRfw.jpeg

En-CfOpaQvmNN5T5cwJPzQ.jpeg

qF4dTdBpThCMnlDvLHY0Pg.jpeg

Pardon me for my ignorance but is CDA a boat checkpoint or entry port or something?  Nice rivers, have done a little trout fishing out in that direction more in Montana and Wyoming but hopefully more in Idaho on future trips.  Nice pictures, Chief Joseph country

1 hour ago, BC witness said:

What did you get for tires? I'm looking for new 33s for my H3, and the choices and prices are mind boggling.

Probably can't go too wrong with a set of BFGoodrich AT KO2.  Just switched out my second set (about 80,000 miles of use) with Blizzak W965 snows but will be buying a third in the Spring. I've been happy with them over a variety of terrain types. I like a dedicated Winter tire for ice though.

Thanks for everyone's very helpful thoughts. I really appreciate it and it provides important insights about the area that are difficult to get otherwise. I know someone who has lived in Spokane for a while and has spoken highly of northern Idaho. 

I'm going to do my best to get out there to visit in early Spring.  See the area, get a feel for its natural beauty, and the people and community itself.  Do a few hikes and see how it feels.  I bet it's gorgeous.

1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

.......I like a dedicated Winter tire for ice though.

I learned something a few winters ago at Mesa Verde National Park. They wouldn't allow us to enter because the tires on our rental van didn't have the "M&S" (mud and snow) designation on them. I thought that was funny, because in Alaska, you're on your own in winter with whatever tires you choose. You'd better not have studded tires in summer, though, or you're fined heavily.

14 minutes ago, Huntster said:

I learned something a few winters ago at Mesa Verde National Park. They wouldn't allow us to enter because the tires on our rental van didn't have the "M&S" (mud and snow) designation on them. I thought that was funny, because in Alaska, you're on your own in winter with whatever tires you choose. You'd better not have studded tires in summer, though, or you're fined heavily.

I ran into that on I-80 in WY last Feb. Road closed to those without M&S or chains. The BFG AT KO2 have that designation but ice is a different matter, softer rubber and sipes do a better job than the AT IMO.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BC witness said:

What did you get for tires? I'm looking for new 33s for my H3, and the choices and prices are mind boggling.

I went with the new Cooper Evolution MT.  I didn't want an MT, but these were on sale online for $160 each and got good reviews for snow and highway manners.  I had mine siped for extra insurance for packed snow and ice, so I'll find out.  The highway ride is excellent, but they are much louder than an AT tire.

AIykIufASnu0mTXd2EnYqw.jpeg

The tire I was planning on going to were the Falken Wildpeak AT3s.  Just an all-around great tire for under $200.  They get rave reviews for excellent road manners and great performance off road and in the snow...

falken_wildpeakat3w_rbl_341933_vary_jpg_

• gigantor unfeatured this topic