Sasquatching in the northern Idaho region

wiiawiwb

Thanks, Kiwakwe and PNWexplorer, for your input on the tire question. I've got quotes on the BFG KO2, General Grabber ATX, and the Hercules Terra Trac AT from a highly recommended local shop that installs and balances for the same price as you'd pay for just the tires, online. Since our dollar is currently worth about 75 cents US, the prices reflect that, so I'm looking at $250 to $300 each for any of them, in the 33" size that I need. All of these have the tri-peak snowflake symbol, which makes them legal for winter use here in BC. Almost all my off pavement driving is mountain logging roads, which are mostly gravel and rock depending on state of repair, but seldom mud, so an AT is what I need.

I've eliminated the cheapest of those, the Hercules, after seeing some negative feedback regarding sidewall failures, but I haven't looked into the Falkens yet, so I guess that's my homework for tonight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

......ice is a different matter, softer rubber and sipes do a better job......

I commuted in an Audi Quattro for years. The first set of winter tires I put on it were studded BF Goodrich Winter Slaloms. It was incredible! By far, those were the best snow and ice tires I've ever seen! Of course, no longer made. The things gripped glue on wet ice. The siping was difficult to describe, but "intense" and "deep" are two words to start with.

I don’t like a tight tread for dirt. They don’t clean out and the tire becomes a racing slick.

Most men around here have a tall narrow studded snow tire they run in winter. The aggressive wide tires do great on dirt or deep snow. Pavement with compact snow and ice not so much.

• Upvote 1

Admin
19 hours ago, BC witness said:

What did you get for tires? I'm looking for new 33s for my H3, and the choices and prices are mind boggling.

I use the Goodyear Wrangler, 33's on 15" Wheels. Great tires!

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

jeep-fl-4.png

My last 4-5 sets of tires have been Toyo Open Country MTs.    The tread is a bit tighter than I like for mud but it seems to work.   In loose / fresh snow, I've never seen their equal.   (My last 2 trucks both go places in 2WD high range with these tires they wouldn't go in 4LO with the locker engaged with the stock tires .. dead serious.)  They work well on wet pavement to speeds considerably above the speed limit, cornering 15-20 mph above the recommended speed.    On packed snow and ice they will slide but I don't know that anything without studs is measurably better.   Tire life has been considerably better than any other tires I've ever owned.   The one thing these tires are not is inexpensive, but the extra miles offsets that some and for me the increased performance is worth it.  

For a general purpose tire, for me, I can't see running anything else now.   There are better tires for some uses but those are much worse for other uses, so I'd have to have 2 full sets of tires and be swapping back and forth all the time ... and guessing wrong, having the wrong ones on the ground ... far too often.    Yeah, I don't see using anything else on a vehicle that sees pavement miles.

MIB

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

New tires got put through their paces the other day when an early snow storm hit.  Heavy wet snow that is slick as snot.  Tires did great!  Drove up and down some steep hills in town that had vehicles in the ditch at the bottom.  I was able to go everywhere in 2wd.

IMG_20201023_153758385_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 1

I grew up in Spokane, and Coeur d'Alene is beautiful. I spent a lot of great summer days at various lake cabins around the area. Winters are tough. 

Edited by Madison5716
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/14/2020 at 11:20 AM, PNWexplorer said:

...it's been sad to see that area get invaded by Californians and change from a sleepy resort town to San Diego.  Spokane is referred to as Spokompton or Spokanistan.

The most problems we have with theft and homeless is by far at the Spokane office.

well....I can understand people not liking the invasion but cash on the barrel is cash on the barrel. I live in an area in Cali where by far, the majority of new homeowners are people from other countries with cash in hand. It is a guarantee that unless your pockets are really, really deep or you get some back door deal, you will be outbid by someone laying down loads more cash.  This is not new, been that way for decades.

So I can't blame anyone for investing what they have in better locations and what is better than the PNW.

I am looking at eastern and northern WA.  Someone correct me if I am mistaken but Spokane may as well be a walking dead set.  Looks abandoned. Nothing there.  I love Montana. What is not to love about it but it seems really remote, which I guess you really have to want to be there

Edited by Arvedis