Got Coyotes!

Wolfjewel

10 hours ago, Huntster said:

This appears to be almost exclusively when a male wolf meets a female coyote or domestic dog that is in heat. If it's a male dog or coyote, a male wolf will almost certainly kill it and eat it. If it's a female wolf in heat, I'm not positive, but I think she'd rebuff the advances of the male dog or coyote. 

The best trapping bait for wolves, by far, is urine from a bitch sled dog that is in heat. Wolves simply can't resist it. They just have to get a close up sniff.

Yeah that makes sense .

• 2 weeks later...
BFF Patron
On 10/15/2020 at 12:42 AM, Wolfjewel said:

It’s 3:20 am here in Natick, MA, just a couple of towns west of Boston. Heard coyote yips and howls outside. My two dogs just went ballistic barking. Opened the window but didn’t hear the ‘yotes anymore. Dogs quiet now. I’m still amazed that we have them — even though I’ve read about the hybrid wolf/dog/coyotes in local papers, and the town has had warning signs up by the Town Forest.

Anyone else have coyotes? To those who live in wilderness or squatchy areas, do they bark/howl more, or less, when Big Guys are presumed to be around?

I'm getting quite a few on trail camera, well two mated pairs it seems, anyway.  I think I have figured out the general location of one denning site or trail in that direction. One female with a healed fracture of the front right leg has hopped around for a year and seems to be doing some better; I posted up a vid over in the wildlife thread last year I think.  At first I was thinking of calling wildlife to hunt or trap it out and put it out of it's misery.  It is cool to watch the concern of the mate waiting for her to catch up on the trails and making sure she is still keeping up.  They seem to have put a hurting on the turkey population, or perhaps that is the tall bobcat showing up too.  Not to change the topic but a small female mother bear with a barely perceptible cub is still making out ok and surviving despite major undersize in both, not sure they will make it through the winter but the cub seemed frisky when last pictured. I have to warn a cat owner or two that their pet(s) may come up missing if they don't show some discretion. Before I had heard yotes were around I would only pick up a print every now and then, never have heard a howl in this area, strangely enough, fox yips yes, yote howls no.  Once I started an aggressive trail cam project they started showing up instantly on the sd cards. 

Edited by bipedalist
grammar
  • Like 1

Thanks, @bipedalist, for keeping the thread on yotes going. Watching Canis latrans (the laughing dog, aka coyote) on trail cams, tracking them, and reading about them in your local media is a gateway to understanding the total ecosystem of your home turf. “Coyote 101” class sets the stage for ultimately “Finding Bigfoot” if some Big Guys live in your area. And if Big isn’t there, the mysteries and intrigue of yotes keeps you in tune with nature in the least likely urban settings. 

• Like 1

It's interesting to read people's reactions to coyotes, especially those on the edge of their habitat where they are uncommon. In my region they are like varying hares, common to the point of apathy in many cases.

I posted a couple ice fishing/coyote stories above. Here's my first memory of an interaction, and probably my closest encounter.

When I was 10 or eleven, we were visiting family friends out on their rural property. There was a little bit of pasture, but most of the land was thick bush and tamarack swamp. I've always loved being in that terrain and I went for a wander by myself. I'd been walking foothills streams, fishing the beaver dams with my dad, for years by that point so there was no fear. This was my playground.

After a while, I started registering all those almost imperceptible sounds and movements that eventually made me realize I was being watched and followed, and there was more than one. At this point I was about as far into the brush as I could be. Our friends' house was behind me and somewhere ahead was a gravel road, both around the same distance of about a 1/4 mile, as far as I could tell.

As the terrain lowered and the vegetation changed from pine and spruce trees to dense willows, visibility was 10 yards or less. I heard a rustle ahead and a coyote stuck his head out of the bush and stared at me. It was probably less than 10 feet away. We both froze for a second and then he faded back into the bush.

I think they left then. I don't recall feeling followed after that but I was pretty nervous as I forged ahead to the road. I was more than happy to walk at least twice the distance to get back to the house, rather than cutting back through the bush.

Coincidentally, our friends ended up subdividing a couple acreages out of that land and I ended up spending the rest of my youth roaming that same area.

Edited by Eastern Slopes

1 hour ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Anyone know who’s German Shepard this is? Found this poor guy eating a dead deer on the side of the road no collar on him he is very snippy kinda mean just trying to find his home he isnt very friendly and was terrible to get into the car and whos home he belongs to let me know he is very antsy to go home

124444744_2877453515818432_2203832906615500501_n.jpg

download.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just saw one tonight on a residential street not far from my home. It was hurrying along and I only saw the back end and tail. I don’t think it would get into @Incorrigible1‘s car, though. How’d you get that one into you car;  aww, come on, tell us!

BTW, @Eastern Slopes, neat story from your youth. Glad it ended well for you and the coyote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wolfjewel said:

I just saw one tonight on a residential street not far from my home. It was hurrying along and I only saw the back end and tail. I don’t think it would get into @Incorrigible1‘s car, though. How’d you get that one into you car;  aww, come on, tell us!

BTW, @Eastern Slopes, neat story from your youth. Glad it ended well for you and the coyote.

A trail of meatballs does wonders.

5 hours ago, Wolfjewel said:

........How’d you get that one into you car;  aww, come on, tell us!.......

Back in the 70's I saw a guy get a grizzly bear in his truck cab at the Healy dump in Alaska. He thought it would be fun to get a pic of the bear in his truck. After the bear destroyed the interior of his truck, it didn't seem like it had been such a good idea.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Back in the 70's I saw a guy get a grizzly bear in his truck cab at the Healy dump in Alaska. He thought it would be fun to get a pic of the bear in his truck. After the bear destroyed the interior of his truck, it didn't seem like it had been such a good idea.

Now that's a 'hold my beer' moment.

Wild animals + human food and vehicles = trouble all the way around. I hope humans have learned that since the 1970s, like Yellowstone learned not to have a food dump where tourists could watch bears forage. BTW, when I was in Yellowstone I saw a coyote eating something in the middle of the road with flaky bits coming off of it. OMG! Looked like extra crispy KFC chicken. Funny story to retell, not funny for the health of wildlife tho. 

14 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

download.jpeg

Funniest poster ever! 😁

Well I was plowing snow downtown Detroit by the Ambassador Bridge to Canada one morning. When this I had an encounter with a coyote . This female coyote came up to me plow and started to be friendly with me. It was the weirdest encounter besides seeing a Bigfoot. It acted just like a dog yet it was a coyote. It came up to me next my drivers door and started going in circles like it wanted a attention. I just kind of laugh about and went on plowing. But this was downtown in the city. This was not the only time. I have seen more and have seen pictures of missing little dogs all over where I live.  These guys can pretty much live any where.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:22 AM, Wolfjewel said:

Funniest poster ever!

There is a funny poster about a missing dog named "Lucky". I will try to find it.

Seattle has a buttload of coyotes. Around me, utility poles have posters of 'missing' cats and dogs. If the cats come home, they are torn up very badly.

Edit: did a quick search for "lucky', the lost dog.  Images I found were not free.  It is a very old cartoon.  Without a cartoon image, the text is:

Lost Dog

3 legs

blind in left eye

missing right ear

tail broken

recently castrated

answers to name of "Lucky"

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

Was working in a convenience store back in the early 70s. This guy came in and says, "come on out here and let me show you something". He was a semi-regular customer and I wasn't busy so I stepped outside with him. He was driving this big ol' Impala, the size of a boat, the kind with a big trunk. He pops the trunk and says "look at this!". There was a bobcat in there, sort of panting, but unconscious. Blood around it's ear. It was huge, I thought. Encyclopedia 25 pounds or so, but this one looked bigger. I kept thinking it was about to wake up and start clawing. He said he'd hit it with his car, accidentally, and felt bad about leaving it. Never saw him after that, so I don't know what ever happened to it.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic