Got Coyotes!

Wolfjewel

It’s 3:20 am here in Natick, MA, just a couple of towns west of Boston. Heard coyote yips and howls outside. My two dogs just went ballistic barking. Opened the window but didn’t hear the ‘yotes anymore. Dogs quiet now. I’m still amazed that we have them — even though I’ve read about the hybrid wolf/dog/coyotes in local papers, and the town has had warning signs up by the Town Forest.

Anyone else have coyotes? To those who live in wilderness or squatchy areas, do they bark/howl more, or less, when Big Guys are presumed to be around?

• Upvote 2

Oodles of Coyotes here, these from the other night, just out front.  Two groups were howling at each other. I can't say if they howl more if a BF is around. but there is sure room for one here.

DSCF0049.thumb.JPG.25fd203334fe770dd5ace9bf7de7df32.JPG

DSCF0050.thumb.JPG.b239b65d947b51b2ff6727b27f03a51d.JPG

Another visitor, looks like it's still walking ok from the video but appears something with claws swiped it:

DSCF0029.thumb.JPG.1a3234006107c90d3912b51889db9846.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Coyotes are a new species in Alaska. They moved in from Canada as the Russians and Americans trapped wolf populations down. Wolves kill them like they do domestic dogs.

There are still coyotes here in Orange County, California. They can live right in the middle of dense cities and live on rats, cats, small domestic dogs, and human scraps. 

Hell, there is still a significant population of pumas in the few remaining open areas here, and they like killing and eating people. Orange County remains one of the areas with regular fatal attacks of pumas on humans on the continent.

The coyotes around me wax and wane with the rabbit population and this is a very urban area.  After living here for 10 years or so, I have observed the cycle multiple times.  Your coyotes must be on east coast time - here and up north by our cabin, they usually sound off around 11pm.  That's not to say they don't sound off at other times, but that's the time-frame I've most frequently heard them.  They make a lot of racket when they're trying to spook a deer or other prey.

We got em in central NC.  We have 2 distinct packs around my house and one time I believe it was up to 3.  Been quite lately but they do seem to go off between 11 and midnight.  Can't speak to the BF question.

Thumbs up for the 3 am post.  That is some BFF dedication.

Coyotes are ubiquitous here on the plains of Nebraska, even into our Metro areas. They're near the top of the food chain, here, although Mr. Mountain Lion has become far more populous, the past 30 years. No wolves nor bears, here. 

I grew up in a village of less than 500 people, 100 miles west of Omaha. In the deep night, we would frequently hear packs howling and replying. Predator calling is a big sport. Guess which rifle is the most popular for that. More discussion on that type of rifle in the Premium Section.

• gigantor featured this topic

Thanks for your input, everyone. @JustCuriousthanks for mentioning the waxing and waning population connection with rabbits. Since We have tons of rabbits here, and my dogs are rabbit hunters — they do pay extra attention to yips from the original rabbit hunters. @Kiwakwegreat trail cam pics, especially what looks like a deer with scratch marks. Do you think small canids can do that? Also I noted the eye shine making an elongated line. I’ve seen it in other photos and some people think it’s “creepy” but it’s just the normal blur due to movement. 
Anyway, if someone does come across info on Sasquatch/coyote interactions or imitations, I’d sure like to hear about it.

14 hours ago, Wolfjewel said:

Do you think small canids can do that?

Coyotes typically don't swipe with claws, the usual m.o. is to bite and that wound on the hindquarters looks wide for a coyote mouth, especially the "outlier" upper slash. but possible I suppose. There are mountain lion here unofficially, maybe that or bear is the culprit.

I live about 8 minutes west of downtown Minneapolis and I hear them howling almost every night. I’ve seen them (two) right at my fence staring down my German Shepard mix. They are pretty small around here, I’d guess 25-30 lbs. They looked tiny compared to her. 

I have a couple of colleagues that live in downtown Chicago - literally less than a mile off of the Magnificent Mile. They have walked out of their condo in the morning only to see a coyote curled up in the flower pot outside. Kinda creepy. They say the creature was also pretty small, they estimated less than 50 lbs (but to be far they are not folks that grew up with coyotes howling in the night like I did in eastern Nebraska)

https://www.npr.org/local/309/2020/01/24/798993032/there-are-up-to-4-000-coyotes-in-the-chicago-area-but-experts-say-don-t-approach-them#:~:text=t Approach Them-,There Are Up To 4%2C000 Coyotes In The Chicago Area,Say Don't Approach Them&text=A coyote that attacked two,living in the Chicago area.

• Upvote 2

I've lived in Connecticut and Florida and have seen and heard them in the neighborhoods in both places. I've also seen them while out in the woods in both places as well. I've never considered them to be anything to worry about, though. Some people will see and/or hear them in their neighborhood and get all worried thinking that coyotes have suddenly moved into the area. What they don't realize is that those animals are there all of the time. They just happened to be in the right place at the right time to finally see/hear them. 

I think it would be pretty hard for anyone to accurately say if coyotes are more vocal in the presence of a supposed sasquatch. That would require knowing with certainty that the sasquatch are actually around at the times the coyotes are vocalizing. I did one time hear a single lower pitch drawn out howl while in the woods in Florida. It didn't sound like any of the coyotes I've heard in person or on recording but I still assume it was one. 

13 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Welcome, DrPSH, from a lifelong eastern Nebraskan.

and from a forever more eastern Nebraskan...

I hunted coyotes with my dad in Creston when I was growing up.

• Like 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic