Mount St. Helens (Threads Merged)

Guest River

Mount St. Helens is most famous for its catastrophic eruption on May 18, 1980, at 8:32 am PDT[2] which was the deadliest and most economically destructive volcanic event in the history of the United States. Fifty-seven people were killed; 250 homes, 47 bridges, 15 miles (24 km) of railways, and 185 miles (298 km) of highway were destroyed. A massive debris avalanche triggered by a earthquake measuring 5.0 on the Richter scale, caused an eruption, reducing the elevation of the mountain's summit from 9,677 ft (2,950 m) to 8,365 ft (2,550 m) and replacing it with a 1 mile (1.6 km) wide horseshoe-shaped crater.The earthquake was caused by a sudden surge of magma from the Earth's mantle. [3] The debris avalanche was up to 0.7 cubic miles (2.9 km3) in volume. The Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument was created to preserve the volcano and allow for its aftermath to be scientifically studied.

As with most other volcanoes in the Cascade Range, Mount St. Helens is a large eruptive cone consisting of lava rock interlayered with ash, pumice, and other deposits. The mountain includes layers of basalt and andesite through which several domes of dacite lava have erupted. The largest of the dacite domes formed the previous summit, and off its northern flank sat the smaller Goat Rocks dome. Both were destroyed in the 1980 eruption.

According to some here when Mount St. Helens blew there was a coverup about bigfoot bodies being recovered and gathered up to be flown out by the military/government. I just want to get to the bottom of those rumors.

From this thread

Thanks bro this is one of the reports of the bodies... The guy I am talking about flew the National Guard Chopper, he is a relative of mine, and saw the bodies in the covered net....

I personally do not subscribe to these rumors, yet they continue to be spread without challenge. The government has absolutely no reason to "cover up" such a great discovery. So whats the deal? Post up any information you have that concerns this topic.

I don't know anything about BF bodies being flown out in a cargo net, but I can think of several reasons the government would cover up the existance of BF type creatures if they thought they could. Lumber and mining interests being fairly high on the list.

I personally don't subscribe to government conspiricy/cover-up theories, because there is usually someone who will spill the beans. Having said that I know of local governments that suppress stories on a pretty regular basis by telling their people not to talk to the media.

You know, I kind of doubted this story because Mt. St. Helen's had lots of symptoms before blowing. I think they would have left the area before then. I always wondered if there was an increase in sightings north or south of the volcano before or after the big blow but I don't think anyone ever mentioned it, if any research was done on it at all.

This urban legend started with only one sasquatch body...now there were several? That site has been promising proof for awhile now and has yet to produce the proof. The reason they cannot produce the proof is that it doesn't exist. In various forms of this legend and others, someone is always talking to a member of (insert your favorite government/military agency here) who has told them in secrecy because the burden has been too heavy to bear and the truth needs to come out...blah blah blah. Of course, there is no way to prove the statements without endangering the whistle blower in some way. Add to that the evidence always disappears right before the "reveal" (in other words, they are cornered to put up or shut up). It is very predictable.

Of course trying to convince a conspiracy theorist that something didn't happen is a lesson in futility.

Yeah, Bigfoot Ballyhoo likes the government conspiracy stories a lot, and the editor there often creates the fictitious witnesses and their cousins as "evidence" to keep the stories going.

I don't know if their motive is to test and develop plots for fictional works, or to just get people to "keep talking bigfoot". If it is the former, all the more power to them. If it is the latter, then their site does BF more harm than good, and they should really stop.

SSR Team

The government has absolutely no reason to "cover up" such a great discovery. So whats the deal?

The Giverment have lots of reasons to " cover up " the subject if they wished, make no mistake about that..

SSR Team

You know, I kind of doubted this story because Mt. St. Helen's had lots of symptoms before blowing. I think they would have left the area before then. I always wondered if there was an increase in sightings north or south of the volcano before or after the big blow but I don't think anyone ever mentioned it, if any research was done on it at all.

Yeah there was, there was a Guy on the old BFF version called Bigfootmorf if i remember rightly, he started researching exactly this & i have some correspondence from him with regards to it..

I'll have a dig & see what i can find.. ;)

Check out Bigfoot Ballyhoo Blog linky they are fond of this story.

They say they have someone trying to get the secret files open. ;)

They seem to be blowing a lot of smoke when they ramble on about lawyers and the RAND Group. If they're truly looking for info they should just request whatever is available by using a FOIA request directly from the DOI. No outside agency, and certainly no lawyer required.

In Canada you'd use this form.

RayG

Admin

Not to lend any credence to that blog, but if it's classified you'll never get the info-through official channels.

Sure, it might look like any of these,

classified001.jpg

or it might look like this,

classified002.jpg

The only way to find out is to submit a FOIA request.

RayG

Edited by RayG

Like what?

They have invested a lot of money in our national parkas and forests, it just wouldn't do to tell folks they have monsters in them that like to sneak up and watch kids play.

SSR Team

Since they have lots please list 3.

Thanks

I don't need to tell you 3 ( but i could if i had to i'm sure ), i'll tell you one & that one is MORE than enough & has multiple reasons muchh beyond 3, within it..

Lumber, or the other words that it is better known as, US Dollars $$$...

Below quote is from this ( Spotted Owl ).. http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/iie/v4n1/homepage.html

===

The timber industry, on the other hand, maintains that the benefits of saving the spotted owl are negligible compared to the harm that will be done. Reduced logging in the old-growth forests will harm all Americans and be particularly devastating to communities in the Pacific Northwest. These forests are a primary source of timber for most independent lumber mills in the Northwest, which account for about 65% of Western wood. Many of the saw mills are entirely dependent on old-growth cuts because their equipment can only handle trees with large dimensions.

According to one report, if the volume of old growth declines, up to 28,000 jobs could be lost, leading to "increased rates of domestic disputes, divorce, acts of violence, delinquency, vandalism, suicide, alcoholism, and other problems." Nationwide, consumer prices for wood products will rise substantially. And, lumber-poor nations, such as Japan, which depend on massive amounts of timber from the U.S., will suffer.

===

Look, i don't necessarily " do " the " Goverment Cover Up " thing but nobody on the Planet can tell me that the above Industry devastation that would be caused & the Domino effect it would have on all kinds of levels would NOT be looked upon by the Goverment in a negative way, especially when the Goverment release Figures like this ??

http://www.ibisworld.com/industry/default.aspx?indid=78

You may agree or disagree, whatever is cool, but you can't ignore it & we can't prove or disprove it any time either i'd have thought.. ;)