Is Hiding Tracks Instinct or Learned?

Believer57

21 hours ago, Foxhill said:

All good points but, you wouldn't have to be clever at all, nor go to the trouble of emulating a mid-tarsal break, lets just say the bar is pretty low for what's accepted as a "genuine"  bigfoot track.....laughable so. Maybe go back and review the Elbe trackway thread, that was some hilarious stuff.

So, basically you're just here for the comic relief?

@Foxhill

As far as hoaxing goes with the Elbe trackway. Yes, you can say that it was laughable in that it was later found out to be a hoax. Off course some of us were able to pick up on the hoax when it was posted on the forum.  Again there is a tell in these creatures prints that just lets you know how real these prints may be. But that does not explain why or how they hide their prints from being tracked. The ground may be soft and still one can loose there track of their prints when tracking. The only explanation that I can come up with is that they climb trees and swing from tree to tree and then climb down. That is my opinion and my only assumption.

Episode One Elbe Trackway Thoughts by squatchtrek | Free Listening on SoundCloud

11 hours ago, Foxhill said:

I hear ya......but just like my response to Hiflier until you've got a foot to compare it to, its really all conjecture, which is fun and what the purpose of this site is, that discussion of what could be.

Sorry but I can't buy into your, only the experts on the study of mythological creature's anatomy have keen enough eye to id "real" footie tracks.      

So if Meldrum is doing real science. It’s science.

But if he is saying Bigfoot tracks are real? He is a quack?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251678467_Ichnotaxonomy_of_the_Laetoli_trackways_The_earliest_hominin_footprints

We don’t have foot bones from Afarensis. And yet scientists make theories that explain bipedal locomotion that coincides with The tracks and our earliest ancestors.

What are your credentials to discredit scientists findings?

Yes. We need the foot. But the tracks lead to the foot if they are geniune. And a scientist saying some tracks are genuine? Certainly lends to the validity. Yes?

E5DE98FB-7ECF-4069-9739-87EBCD54676C.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Researcher Paul Graves claimed that after following sasquatch footprints to a tree line the footprints disappeared, but then he noticed the snow had been shaken off the trees where the sasquatch entered the tree line, but not the surrounding trees.  He realized the sasquatch had stepped at the base of trees and shook the trees so snow would fall and cover its tracks.  

Edited by jayjeti

jayjeti,

Another good example of the Sasquatch going "the extra step" to hide its footprints. I like Paul Graves' "say it like you saw it" style.

Cheers!

Edited by Believer57

1 hour ago, jayjeti said:

Researcher Paul Graves claimed that after following sasquatch footprints to a tree line the footprints disappeared, but then he noticed the snow had been shaken off the trees where the sasquatch entered the tree line, but not the surrounding trees.  He realized the sasquatch had stepped at the base of trees and shook the trees so snow would fall and cover its tracks.

Then how does he not know that the creature actually climbed the trees and this is what caused the snow to fall. It only makes sense that if you are following tracks in snow and they seem to disappear. That the creature might have not shaken the tree but might have climbed it. Then must have swung from tree to tree. If this was so then the tracker would just have to look in the trees to look for snow cleared limbs and track the creature that way. The tracks that are very hard to track are the ones that lead you unto ice covered lakes and then stop and disappear. Talk about woo, yea, that's a stomper.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to say that hiding tracks is at least partially instinctive.    I catch myself doing it subconsciously .. stepping across trails rather than in them when I intersect them.    I also notice that I will instinctively step behind a tree when a helicopter or airplane goes over somewhat low.    I do not know why I do those things, I just do them.    Once you notice a previously instinctive behavior, then you respond to it by either deliberately not doing it anymore or by deliberately taking it up a notch or two, but you don't truly ignore it: that which as been seen cannot return to being unseen. 

MIB

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MIB said:

I'm going to say that hiding tracks is at least partially instinctive.    I catch myself doing it subconsciously .. stepping across trails rather than in them when I intersect them.    I also notice that I will instinctively step behind a tree when a helicopter or airplane goes over somewhat low.    I do not know why I do those things, I just do them.    Once you notice a previously instinctive behavior, then you respond to it by either deliberately not doing it anymore or by deliberately taking it up a notch or two, but you don't truly ignore it: that which as been seen cannot return to being unseen. 

MIB

Lol....your chosen username is MIB.

Of course you dodge overhead planes and helicopters!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MIB said:

I do not see my self doing that as much as finding my self trying not to make that much noise as I am tracking through the forest. As far as low flying planes I just figure they cannot see me under the canopy of the forest since I am walking so slow.  Winter time well, That is just a different story. But who knows if these low flying aircrafts can actually see me with my camo on as i am tracking. I have a hard time seeing deer until they move at times in the woods. They blend pretty well in the woods until they get spooked when you walk up on them. The same can go with these creatures and I am sure that they will hold their ground until they get spotted. That could be why that some times we will run into their tracks or even see them. It is by accident that we some times catch glimpses of them. But this is just my opinion.

14 hours ago, MIB said:

MIB

A half dozen years ago, a brought along two friends from childhood on a hike. As we made our final assault toward the summit, with trees thinning out, a black helicopter arrived and began circling the mountaintop for several minutes. It looked more military than recreational. Knowing there is a state prison 15 miles away, I immediately assumed there was an escaped convict that had been tracked to this location.

I immediately unsheathed my neck knife thinking the convict might be close by. Never saw anyone and there were no media reports of anyone escaping.  I've always wondered why such a helicopter would be operating as it did in this area. Head scratcher for sure.

^^^^ It may have been a training flight.    Pilots need air time.  

Oregon Air National Guard has two fighter wings flying F-15s which practice some in the glacial canyons near the bases of some Cascade volcanoes.    I was hiking Clover Creek coming out of Mountain Lakes Wilderness one day when one came through below the top of the canyon rim.   It was loud.    I've seen them also do helicopter training along the rivers.   I know they do train for high elevation rescue as well because some of the military helicopters have a higher operational ceiling than most commercial helicopters.    That may have been what you saw.

MIB

I have also witnessed first hand, helicopters breaking up large herds of elk days before elk season here in Oregon on the Central Coast Range.

Edited by Doug

On 1/14/2021 at 4:34 AM, wiiawiwb said:

a black helicopter arrived and began circling the mountaintop for several minutes

What MIB said.  Also, circling the mountain top is sampling for updrafts and downdrafts.

Thanks Catmandoo and MIB. I couldn't imagine why it was there of all places. Now it makes sense.

I'd say 30 years ago, or so, I was hiking with several friends. After a long, grueling ascent, we made it to the mountain's summit.  Nearby, you could see the peaks of several dozen other mountains in the area.  We heard a loud noise, spun around, and watched two black fighter jets scream by us doing maneuvers in and around the mountains.

The best part about it is we were looking down because the fighter jets were below us.  It was a spectacle to behold and knew I'd never see that again.