Ok....seriously....the Bumble.....

guyzonthropus

RTRNR first aired in 1964. My parents gave me Ivan T. Sanderson's "Abominable Snowmen_ Legend Comes To Life almost three years before that. So even though I was 15 when RTRND hit TV the Bumble held a particular fascination with me. Being all white was a surprise, though and it was obviously in predator mode- either for entertainment or because it was winter? ;)

Edited by hiflier

I keep forgetting that at 57 I'm still a relative youngster walking these halls! Lol 

If I remember correctly, the first cryptid book I encounter was Mysterious Monsters(?)with the front cover a mosaic of smaller pictures of the various creatures. Haven't seen a copy for many decades! My folks bought me a copy of On the Track of Sasquatch at the Seattle science center, which kept me entranced for the remainder of the trip. I did see the Patterson film in the theater, and then the legend of boggy creek. But the Bumble held a spot in my brain from an earlier age. It made quite an impression on the then wee tiny me, scaring the poop outta me at a tender age! Of course I later came to realize he's more of a manifestion of external threat endangering a conformist society until he too is rendered tame and pressed into a role completely unrelated to his ferocious nature! For some reason I always likened him to yeti more than sasquatch, probably due to his formal name, given by outsiders(though, realistically, he was pretty abominable for a snowman)

It must occurred to me that maybe the Bumble was a creation of the universal reindeer subconscious, some vestige lingering from the dark reindeer past, representing an ancient fear/terror of life within the great northern boreal forests from before they took that first giant step for reindeerkind out into tundra and it's lack of concealed  threats.....just a thought....lol

I

But if bumbles really do exist, I'm certain the government knows about them.....

Guyzonthropus, you are a hoot!! I never saw or heard of the Bumble, I’m of an older generation. But the last half of your post cracks me up. “Reindeerkind,” Reindeer subconscious, etc. and yes, the government probably knows about them. 

Edited by Wolfjewel

7 hours ago, guyzonthropus said:

........If I remember correctly, the first cryptid book I encounter was Mysterious Monsters(?)with the front cover a mosaic of smaller pictures of the various creatures........

The Maybe Monsters (1963) and The Mystery Monsters (1965) by Gardner Soule.

9 hours ago, guyzonthropus said:

I keep forgetting that at 57 I'm still a relative youngster walking these halls! Lol 

Yep, yer a youngin' :)

I too learned of the yeti from that TV show.

My kids learned of the forest creature from The Rugrats's Sachamoh episode. In their teen age years, from South park's scuzzlebutt, who was a your basic Sasquatch creature, only sporting a stalk of celery for one leg and Patric Duffy for the other leg. I bet he left odd footprints.

Giant furry hominids? Either from Rudolph or Harry and the Hendersons. For the idea of cryptids in general its either the Bumble or the Jersey Devil since I grew up in the Pine Barrens.

My great great grandfather Lou Robbers was the 1st mayor of Index. Where they take Harry at the end.

He also owned the 1st car in town. He is seated in drivers seat. They brought it in on the railroad.

You can see the Index sign in the background 

7CDD7FD2-670E-4557-B12B-F5C05B12DD1B.jpeg

• Upvote 1