Expedition Bigoot - New season starts

wiiawiwb

I just noticed a new season will air on January 3rd on Travel Channel.  A different location this time. "The advanced data algorithm has revealed a 75,000-acre swatch of Appalachian forest in southeast Kentucky."

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/expedition-bigfoot/articles/expedition-bigfoot-season-two-announcement

We had a rather lively discussion about this series when it aired last December:

https://bigfootforums.com/topic/71271-expedition-bigfoot-travel-channel/page/10/

Time to resharpen our topo-map skills.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 2

This is such a dilemma. After the mountain of lies that was season 1, they don't deserve any attention. On the other hand, it was great fun dubunking them.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I will be watching again

Entertainment is what it is.

Like all Bigfoot related subjects.

Exactly.  It's crypto-tainment.  Take it for what it is worth.

At least it doesn't portray the people out looking for Bigfoot as hillbilly caricatures, nor does it consist of buffoons howling and wacking trees with bats.  

Go into it knowing that you are watching a scripted work of television fiction and just try and enjoy it.

SSR Team
2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Exactly.  It's crypto-tainment.  Take it for what it is worth.

At least it doesn't portray the people out looking for Bigfoot as hillbilly caricatures, nor does it consist of buffoons howling and wacking trees with bats.  

Go into it knowing that you are watching a scripted work of television fiction and just try and enjoy it.

I agree, but it is deceitful though. That algorithm line is deceitful and it's used time and time again.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

I agree, but it is deceitful though. That algorithm line is deceitful and it's used time and time again.

I agree with you, but their target audience loves that sort of stuff.  

Shoot, they probably sleep at a nice hotel each night and those tents are just props.  

Not much real about reality tv, no matter what the subject matter might be.  

At the end of the day, it doesn't paint the participants in a negative light the way Mountain Monsters or to a lesser degree Finding Bigfoot does.  In my mind, it's probably the best that we can hope for as far as a Bigfoot themed TV show.  

It was fun watching their Facebook group implode after news came out that they were on a vacation ranch and not in the wilderness.

• Upvote 1

Algorithm is a step-by-step procedure, which defines a set of instructions to be executed in a certain order to get the desired output.  So based on viewing season one of Expedtion Bigfoot, by reverse engineering, what would a reasonable person speculate at to what those steps taken to arrive at the shooting location?  The site was a very large private ranch in eastern Oregon, that presumably the public did not have ready access to.  The climate is somewhat dry by they get a couple of feet of snow in the winter.  The area contained Ponderosa Pine and grassland.  There is a large lake on the property but that was not part of the show.  We can presume that there were some creeks that dry up in the summer.  So we can reverse engineer that input data into our algorithm and get: no hikers, no campers, few if any Bigfoot sightings, not much water in the summer, cold winters, lots of solitude, and no logging.  Mmm?  I just don't think that there ever was an algorithm.

There was more than likely no algorithm.

That area was probably chosen by location scouts working for the production company.

Even if there was...I would go out on a limb and say that the SSR that has been so painstakingly compiled by some of our members like @BobbyO would give equal or better results for historical patterns than whatever they came up with.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

13 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

TV show?  

Yep. Put it on youtube for now. We are as well connected as any other organization.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, norseman said:

Yep. Put it on youtube for now. We are as well connected as any other organization.

I thought about that briefly a few months ago.  

We are pretty scattered to the 4 corners of the continent, but to me that's the interesting part.  You would get to see the similarities and differences from region to region... everything from types of evidence to investigation techniques.  

Video editing software takes a bit getting used to, but you can turn out a decent video with a little bit of practice.  

Consumer grade cameras are inexpensive and constantly improving in quality.  Shoot, I don't even use GoPros anymore.  Akaso action cameras give slightly better images while being much more affordable.  GoPros might be a bit more durable, but when I break a camera I break it BIG.  Like smashing it to pieces.  So, a bit more durability isn't worth the extra cost to me.

• Upvote 1

We have people in the Pacific Northwest, the Appalachians and Smokeys, Texas, West Virginia...

I don't know if we have anyone actively involved in field research who is located in the Oklahoma area or not.  I seem to recall that we do, but I can't remember who off the top of my head.  

We have most of the Bigfoot hotspots covered by current members...

We have field researchers as well as researchers of a more academic inclination.  An already established system to identify reported activity by location as well as other criteria...  

• Upvote 1