Expedition Bigoot - New season starts

wiiawiwb

@BlackRockBigfoot  Any chance the 75,000-acre area they've chosen in SE Kentucky might be neighboring on any of you your go-to locations? I'm thinking Daniel Boone National Forest is where it might be. Have you ever been up that way?

4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Video editing software takes a bit getting used to, but you can turn out a decent video with a little bit of practice.  

Consumer grade cameras are inexpensive and constantly improving in quality.  Shoot, I don't even use GoPros anymore.  Akaso action cameras give slightly better images while being much more affordable.  GoPros might be a bit more durable, but when I break a camera I break it BIG.  Like smashing it to pieces.  So, a bit more durability isn't worth the extra cost to me.

We are pretty scattered to the 4 corners of the continent, but to me that's the interesting part.  You would get to see the similarities and differences from region to region... everything from types of evidence to investigation techniques.  

It is pretty straightforward these days to record and post. Seems easy but then the reality of commitment of time it takes to make it a good show becomes the question. Do you really want to pour the effort in? The trick with all productions is making it interesting. BF research is a lot of meandering and talking so like you said, the editing is going to be critical. It takes effort and overhead.  Some YT channels manage to earn enough for the productions to pay for itself.

51 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

@BlackRockBigfoot  Any chance the 75,000-acre area they've chosen in SE Kentucky might be neighboring on any of you your go-to locations? I'm thinking Daniel Boone National Forest is where it might be. Have you ever been up that way?

I haven't been that far north in quite awhile, although Kentucky seems like it has been fairly active over the past few years.  

SSR Team
21 hours ago, nightlistener said:

Algorithm is a step-by-step procedure, which defines a set of instructions to be executed in a certain order to get the desired output.  So based on viewing season one of Expedtion Bigfoot, by reverse engineering, what would a reasonable person speculate at to what those steps taken to arrive at the shooting location?  The site was a very large private ranch in eastern Oregon, that presumably the public did not have ready access to.  The climate is somewhat dry by they get a couple of feet of snow in the winter.  The area contained Ponderosa Pine and grassland.  There is a large lake on the property but that was not part of the show.  We can presume that there were some creeks that dry up in the summer.  So we can reverse engineer that input data into our algorithm and get: no hikers, no campers, few if any Bigfoot sightings, not much water in the summer, cold winters, lots of solitude, and no logging.  Mmm?  I just don't think that there ever was an algorithm.

There was never algorithm, not in the very true sense of the word anyway.

RE the bolded part above and to answer, i suspect 'money/costs' would be what the most important algorithm spat back at them in to determining that location..;)

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

There was never algorithm, not in the very true sense of the word anyway.

RE the bolded part above and to answer, i suspect 'money/costs' would be what the most important algorithm spat back at them in to determining that location..;)

I agree with you on this.

A location scout for the production company came up with this area...not any advanced Bigfoot algorithm.  The location was determined by cost and convenience.  

Again, I will probably watch at least some of this season, but this show is for entertainment only.

The only show that I think tried to take at least a realistic approach to the subject was the Survivorman Bigfoot episodes.  And, as much as enthusiasts might have enjoyed those shows, there's a reason why the network turned Stroud down when he approached them on another season of Bigfoot hunting.  Not enough fake scares and faked evidence for the masses.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/28/2020 at 8:44 AM, david75090 said:

Are y'all talking about all those fat guys pretending to be big foot hunters?

Well, to be fair, some fat guys (and gals) ARE bigfoot hunters LOL!  Talking about myself. Ouch. But I'm neither a liar nor paid to do what I do, so there's the difference! 

That said I've never seen the show, nor do I plan to.  All those shows are ENTERTAINMENT. Don't look to them for much true research value. 

I do like to whoop and hollar if nothing is happening though at the end of a hike :)  It might work (though it hasn't in two years). 

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

That area was probably chosen by location scouts working for the production company.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner @BlackRockBigfoot! No show goes on location without thoroughly checking it out. You're talking about permits and permissions and contracts. That ALL has to pan out before a location is chosen (I worked in film & television for ten years, trust me). It might have been submitted as one of several locations, but you bet it had to please the lawyers first. Studios are not (generally) stupid; they know it's about CYA stuff, especially in prep. 

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I am kind of liking the way this thread is drifting...

the BFF Channel!

I think that it is a pretty cool idea.

I think it's just cool that Bigfoot is still a viable subject to air on TV no matter how it gets done. It's important that BF, while maybe a fun fad for most, gets seen at least getting some professional treatment and interest even if it IS looked upon as having only entertainment value. The general public will still see EB as something somewhat scientifically serious which helps raise the level of the subject's credibility. Nat Geo has been great in that regard. So it's all good IMHO.

Edited by hiflier
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 10:44 AM, david75090 said:

Are y'all talking about all those fat guys pretending to be big foot hunters?

No . You are thinking of Mountain Monsters. It also returns the same night with a tribute to their fallen leader Trapper.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hiflier said:

I think it's just cool that Bigfoot is still a viable subject to air on TV no matter how it gets done. It's important that BF, while maybe a fun fad for most, gets seen at least getting some professional treatment and interest even if it IS looked upon as having only entertainment value. The general public will still see EB as something somewhat scientifically serious which helps raise the level of the subject's credibility. Nat Geo has been great in that regard. So it's all good IMHO.

I agree . Well said .The added benefit is may help steer youngsters away from social media and into the great outdoors.

It certainly helps me get my granddaughter to go on hikes with me. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

There might be a kid out there somewhere who sees EB

and has his lifelong interest in the subject kindled... just like In Search Of and MonsterQuest did for a lot of us when we were younger.

Maybe that kid will be the one who grows up and finally solves the Bigfoot mystery once and for all.

As long as it doesn't make the search for Sasquatch out to be a laughingstock, then the show has some value.

A great point.  My afore mentioned granddaughter does a great James Fay howl and does tree knocks along the trails we frequent.

Even got a call back once. Of course it was  probably a person.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

A great point.  My afore mentioned granddaughter does a great James Fay howl and does tree knocks along the trails we frequent.

Even got a call back once. Of course it was  probably a person.

It was probably a love sick female making googly eyes at you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2