Expedition Bigoot - New season starts

wiiawiwb

Also, downplaying it could mean little or no widespread public pressure for more investigation gets generated. To the general public it might be interesting but hasn't near the same impact on them as it would a researcher (like ME and others ;) ). There are scientists who ARE interested and DO research the subject, so I would imagine the emails and phone calls have been flying back and forth for quite a while now. This isn't over by any means.

Edited by hiflier

Is there a way to test specifically for pheromone chips since that should be excluded as a culprit that may have skewed the data. 

57 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

Is there a way to test specifically for pheromone chips since that should be excluded as a culprit that may have skewed the data.

@Arvedis

You keep mentioning these pheromone chips. What's up with them ? I did not see them being used on the show so I do not see how this should be an issue with the results. But having the the Doctor's shoes not being throughly washed could be and issue. 

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Also, downplaying it could mean little or no widespread public pressure for more investigation gets generated. To the general public it might be interesting but hasn't near the same impact on them as it would a researcher (like ME and others ;) ). There are scientists who ARE interested and DO research the subject, so I would imagine the emails and phone calls have been flying back and forth for quite a while now. This isn't over by any means.

Well this could be happening behind the scenes. We just do not know until those questions are asked on a podcast. The results are very interesting and there should be no reason why scientist are not on this with the doctor. But one sample is not enough and in one area is not either. They have taken more samples in other areas but have not said nothing about those samples that they have picked up in the PNW. So this could be getting even better to see what those samples come up with. They were hair samples and were long strands. Not just that the foot prints that they found by those tracks where what's his name had to drop down by rope. There might be some EDNA there as well. 

There are like 3 Expedition Bigfoot threads and they all overlap. It was mentioned in one of the threads that the team used pheromone chips in their research area. It was speculated this could be the source of the primate dna hits in test results. 

Seems like a good theory. I'm guessing whatever chemical substance sinks into the foliage and soil. Wondering if eDNA testing is equipped to detect a phenomenal chemical or would it register simply as matching samples with genbank.

Also, the UCLA lab project manager mentioned the reads are from multiple primates with a common Pan genus. The way this is phrased (see news link for exact wording) may suggest such a pheromone chip could be the source of the reads. Those chips contain scents from a combination of animals. 

Edited by Arvedis

2 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Not just that the foot prints that they found by those tracks where what's his name had to drop down by rope. There might be some EDNA there as well

Of course there would be. Also no televised follow up on those tracks the next day and in daylight either. But again, the general public wouldn't really know other than a footprint was discovered. Follow it to find more? Make a left and right cast? Take a soil sample or two? The public-at-large wouldn't know to think that way, and nothing on the program said anything to inform the public that follow ups of any kind should be done. But WE know and that's what's important and I'll bet the EB team know it too. Who knows what ended up on the "cutting room floor." Or was decided regarding not opening certain public Pandora's boxes. 

Just to kind of weave in some earlier discussion from a different thread. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcdyTf-wwl0&t=5s

On 3/18/2021 at 4:26 PM, Kiwakwe said:

Merchant did mention as a disclaimer that he'd not seen any of the new season as he was annoyed about the last. He did mention them having chips too. Might be something to that... I've not seen any of them, just posting the above as a "translating service"

Some of the comments in the YT video also have good detail. This is unusual for YT comments. Apparently, Merchant has some knowledgeable followers.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:09 AM, Arvedis said:

Would pheromones fool dna testing? That seems to be a monkey wrench. 

On 3/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I haven't watched the video yet, but I did just look through the comments... I would assume that primate pheromones would carry the accompanying primate DNA.

Screenshot_20210319-135728.png

https://sasquatchpheromone.com/

They say that they use ape pheromones, but who knows if they substitute chimp if the ape pheromone supply chain gets disrupted.

Any primate pheromone in a storm...

On 3/19/2021 at 3:50 AM, wiiawiwb said:

I remember back in 2007 watching a fellow sasquatcher hang pheromone chips on tree limbs. He said it was gorilla pheromone.  Several years ago, I started a thread asking where to get them and never did get an answer to that.

That could be how eDNA got there.

I really have hard time thinking Dr. Mireya Mayor, a renowned and respected scientist of primatology, would buy into that. Unless she was hoaxed? And I have a hard time think that, too....TV or no TV.

I can be as cynical as the next guy, but there comes a time when plausibility needs to take a back seat. Just because the best match was Chimpanzee doesn't mean the reality is Chimpanzee. It's only the best match for genus Pan troglodyte and since we don't know what genus Sasquatch is? It could be such a close cousin that its DNA says Chimp because there is no Sasquatch DNA to match to. We've been round and round many times about how close Sasquatch DNA is to Human and so samples always look like Human contaminated samples. DNA has gotten better in the last 5-8 years so to see something like Sasquatch actually be closer to Chimpanzee wouldn't surprise me in the least. I have said Chimpanzee>Last Common Ancestor>Sasquatches/Humans many times as a primate lineage.

The Last Common Ancestor.....AND Sasquatches..... SHOULD be genetically closer to Apes than Humans. And Chimpanzee is all that the genomic data has as being the last "known" primate before Human. Why wouldn't Sasquatch DNA be read more as Chimp than Human? I mean, no one came out and said it was definitely Chimpanzee. They said it was the closest match. I need to go back and listen again but I'm petty sure I'm correct. And everyone has said more samples are needed to be sure. That tells they're NOT sure.

Edited by hiflier

33 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I really have hard time thinking Dr. Mireya Mayor, a renowned and respected scientist of primatology, would buy into that. Unless she was hoaxed? And I have a hard time think that, too....TV or no TV.

I agree, and the more I listen to her comment on any subjects, it is apparent that she really does know her field very well.  The part of the show that we don't see as outsiders is an inside joke among all show participants (call it reality or documentary or whatever format). That joke is if there is nothing to look at or study or chase or talk about meaningfully, then there is no show.  It seems possible a BF pod was in the area releasing their stink into the soil or it was manufactured evidence for the sake of having a cliffhanger for the season finale.

Edited by Arvedis

Has anyone here actually watched the final 'evidence presentation' show and heard what they had to say about the eDNA?

• Upvote 1

Haven't seen it. I'll wait for the show to die and catch the clips.

No reaction yet on social media as far as i can determine. Except.... Michael Merchant, who is posting "don't believe what they are saying" type arguments.

Edited by Arvedis

I did and that's why I said I didn't understand why the episode didn't show Dr. Mayor taking more than one sample. Ms. Ramos of the DNA program at UCLA and UCSC said more samples woud be needed for verification not only of genus but of species, although I would be happy at the gnus level which metabarcoding for all animals in an area should give you.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:03 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Has anyone here actually watched the final 'evidence presentation' show and heard what they had to say about the eDNA?

I just finished the entire season 2 and just as they were beginning to really get somewhere the forest fires drove them out of the area. They did a brief follow up note that said the area they were having the most activity in was spared the flames. 

Hopefully there will be a season 3 so they can follow up. Season 2 had some of the clearest prints and best thermal footage I’ve seen. At one point something peeking out from behind a tree stood up on the thermal video. That was wild. Although TV producers are famous for faking that kind of thing. Dr Mayor seemed genuinely surprised by it though.

I'll bet bigfoot enthusiasts like us will continue to descend upon that area in the next several months. A suspect a sasquatch will likely move in response to the human infestation.

It might be an opportunity for neighboring regions.

• 3 months later...

The show was renewed. Season 3 filming has begun. I didn't get much out of the first 2 seasons. This cast seems miscast.

There seems to be clear issues with the show and I don't take any of it seriously whatsoever.

I've listened to fairly recent podcasts with Bryce and Russell and those guys are towing the party line that it's a serious show and everything is legit.

One very unexpected development is that it somehow caught the attention of my sister and she enjoys it very much. Having long, detailed conversation about Sasquatch with one of my family members is a pretty surreal experience. 

• Like 1