Selecting a Video Recorder

wiiawiwb

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread with interest as I NEED a video camera.  I started a YouTube channel to highlight a review of a gun I purchased that was brand new and no one had done a review yet.  I did a simple 13-minute in-depth review using my cell phone in a tri-pod holder.  Worked OK.  Got a lot of views and subscribers.  Added a few more crude videos of the same gun at the range.  Now I'm getting bugged to do more videos. 

But, I need a camera for when going in the woods in my UTV, when in my SUV, and when hiking.

I'm taking a 3-week road trip down to Arizona in March and need a video camera for recording some of our off-roading Jeep trails we'll be on.  Last year, I just held my phone up in one hand while trying to negotiate tricky sections of trail with the other hand on the steering wheel.  Not sure where/how to mount the camera for that.  If they come with a mount for tubes, then that would work for both the rollcage on my UTV and the brushguard on my SUV.  Helmet mounts are useless as I don't wear a helmet.

I like the Akaso options, but not sure which I need.

Another huge hurdle is video editing and downloading.  My only PC is an Acer Chromebook.  Not sure if it is compatible with most editing software.  I know it is slow as molasses and taking a 5 minute video usually takes about 5 hours to download on my computer.  I can load them onto YouTube and Rumble in just a few minutes, however, even though my internet is incredibly slow at 18 MBPS.

Wanted to spend $100 or less, which seems like the V50X would work, but wondering if I really need all the features and if a $70 camera would work just as well for my needs.

20 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Not sure where/how to mount the camera for that.

Visit      https://www.rammount.com/about  to possibly solve your mounting conundrum.   Please wear a helmet. You may not drive off of a cliff but there are many pokey things that are not forgiving.  A helmet mount has the optional extra feature of preserving video for the emergency room staff.:lol:

A helmet mount will record where you are looking. It makes me think that one VR perhaps isn't enough. At minimum a helmet mount would be the best chance at catching something- even in well aimed rearview and side mirrors. Do any of the ones in this thread have voice activation with a variable sound threshold? It so, then making adjustments for picking up one's voice but keeping things like pack and clothing, or even vehicle noise muted until one speaks in a voice louder than the usual ambient background clutter.

Ended up buying the Akaso Brave 4, plus an SD card, and a mount designed for roll bars.  Total cost was $100.

Next I need to find some video editing software that will work with my Chromebook and is easy for a neanderthal like me to use.

Really interested in using something with FLIR this summer when out in the woods, as I think it would be highly useful.  This camera was bought primarily for recording my gun shooting sessions, off-roading adventures, and all-around outdoor shenanigans.

For Bigfoot investigations, I would get something with FLIR and a bit more substantial.

The Akaso V50 Pro is at the sweet spot for non-Gopro action cams.  It's extremely durable and has great picture and sound...in addition to having a great stabilization option.

You can usually get them for a little over $100.  If the Brave doesn't work out, I would look at this model.

I have never used any of the Brave models, but all 3 Akaso cameras that we have used have been great.  

• 7 months later...

GoPro will be releasing their GoPro10 shortly. There are a few leaks as to what it might have that is new.  Meanwhile, I noticed the GoPro9 can be had for a decent price. $300 for camera plus $50 for annual subscription. I have no use for the subscription.  We'll see the effect on the GoPro9 price once the 10 is actually released.

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html?gclid=ee05aec388a8109f59eecff73816da2d&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=ee05aec388a8109f59eecff73816da2d#hero9blackbundle

On 9/5/2021 at 8:01 AM, wiiawiwb said:

GoPro will be releasing their GoPro10 shortly. There are a few leaks as to what it might have that is new.  Meanwhile, I noticed the GoPro9 can be had for a decent price. $300 for camera plus $50 for annual subscription. I have no use for the subscription.  We'll see the effect on the GoPro9 price once the 10 is actually released.

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/hero9-black/CHDHX-901-master.html?gclid=ee05aec388a8109f59eecff73816da2d&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=ee05aec388a8109f59eecff73816da2d#hero9blackbundle

I can’t remember… can the 9 run off an external power source without leaving the battery compartment open?  That was a dealbreaker for the last GoPro that I looked at.

• 2 weeks later...

I did find that you can buy a specially-designed battery compartment door that has an opening built in that allows the use of an external power source while the door is closed.

The GoPro 10 was released a week, or two, ago and the first thing I looked for was whether they continued the 15-second hindsight recording they introduced with the Go Pro 9.  They did and increased it to 30 seconds. That's a lot of time to have in the buffer which really helps if that special moment, that sighting actually occurs.  It will give me some leeway for error when fumbling around to get, then turn the recorder to "On".

That sealed the deal for me and I just pulled the trigger on the GoPro 10. Long learning curve I'm sure but it will be fun.

I've also found (I hope) an ingenious system for mounting the recorder my backpack. It is a magnetic mount called SNAP Mount.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

All action cameras have settings. It's been quite the exercise trying to understand all of the settings and how they interact with each other. I've never had experience with them and was not one who knew how to use a camera in manual mode.

Have any of you adjusted settings or did you go with the action camera's auto mode?  What I've been doing is keeping track of a setting change in a spreadsheet and have almost 60 short videos with different resolution, frame rate, lens, bit rate, ISOs, etc, and a general comment as to how the video looked.  The darker environment, such as when in the woods under the canopy of trees, is a bit of a challenge.

If you changed your settings, which ones did you find worked for you?

On 9/17/2021 at 5:34 PM, wiiawiwb said:

I did find that you can buy a specially-designed battery compartment door that has an opening built in that allows the use of an external power source while the door is closed.

The GoPro 10 was released a week, or two, ago and the first thing I looked for was whether they continued the 15-second hindsight recording they introduced with the Go Pro 9.  They did and increased it to 30 seconds. That's a lot of time to have in the buffer which really helps if that special moment, that sighting actually occurs.  It will give me some leeway for error when fumbling around to get, then turn the recorder to "On".

That sealed the deal for me and I just pulled the trigger on the GoPro 10. Long learning curve I'm sure but it will be fun.

I've also found (I hope) an ingenious system for mounting the recorder my backpack. It is a magnetic mount called SNAP Mount.

That’s good to know about the ability to run external power.  I may actually break down and get a GoPro now.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

All action cameras have settings. It's been quite the exercise trying to understand all of the settings and how they interact with each other. I've never had experience with them and was not one who knew how to use a camera in manual mode.

Have any of you adjusted settings or did you go with the action camera's auto mode?  What I've been doing is keeping track of a setting change in a spreadsheet and have almost 60 short videos with different resolution, frame rate, lens, bit rate, ISOs, etc, and a general comment as to how the video looked.  The darker environment, such as when in the woods under the canopy of trees, is a bit of a challenge.

If you changed your settings, which ones did you find worked for you?

Trail and error for me.  Especially with the Akaso model that I use as a chest cam…it has manual iso settings.  

Your method of keeping notes on the settings and comparing the shots afterwards sounds great.

Today, I received a new 256GB SD micro (the latest and greatest) that was tauted by a few folks on YouTube who are GoPro gurus.  I've been testing my GoPro with a 64GB micro from the same company.  When I recorded a few videos today(6) with the new SD card, every video was shaky. It was as though the Hypersmooth 4.0 didn't exist. Maybe it was a bad SD micro chip. I don't know. What I do know is it is isn't worth a hoot.

This is the classic concern of those like me who are not digitally astute. You happily pay extra for something to keep you out of trouble. It is supposed to be the latest and the greatest yet it doesn't work well and you now have to figure a work around.  Beats me.

Plan B.

Edited by wiiawiwb