New Year, New Gear, New Tactics

Skinwalker13

Sound profiles have their own uniqueness. I like your strategy and maybe you can get a recording which doesn't match up with some other known species!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Sound profiles have their own uniqueness. I like your strategy and maybe you can get a recording which doesn't match up with some other known species!

Ive got my fingers crossed. The area Im setting up the recorder in first is a spot where we got some audio while recording for a TV show in October. The audio we got was distant so I'm going to set up in a bowl near there and hopefully use it as a natural amphitheater to collect anything coming and going. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hiflier said:

Hide a recorder in a cave or, in the case of the PacNW, a lava tube?

It would be cool, but the recorder can only hold so much and run for so long. I think mine maxes out at 12 hours or so. And then there's the "going in and hiding it" part. Kinda scary, going into a cave. Fortunately, I have a FLIR, and we have found several caves that are occupied, with heat coming out. I don't go into those. Whatever's inside is backed into a corner, and WILL fight. I have too much to lose.

I modified my Sony ICD-PX333 field recorders so they can run a full week. I use AA rechargeable batteries instead of AAA, plus a 16GB SD card. (link)

AA Batteries 1.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Redbone said:

I modified my Sony ICD-PX333 field recorders so they can run a full week. I use AA rechargeable batteries instead of AAA, plus a 16GB SD card. (link)

AA Batteries 1.jpg

You need to run audio recording classes for Bigfoot researchers.  I always find your audio posts informative.

On 1/1/2021 at 12:40 AM, Skinwalker13 said:

Its officially 2021 and im starting the year off right tomorrow A.M.  and figured I what everyone else has planned for the new year. Or see if anyone wanted to share some goals for 2021 research year.

Tomorrow im going to scout an area to place a Mic Tree that weve built. 6 Mics, multi directional, in a active area, crossed fingers. Ill be using a Zoom H5, and some nano cameras. Im also working on a few other prosthetic covers for some equipment that will help it blend into the species of tree I place it on. I'll also be scouting an area over the next few days looking for some fresh tracks in the area due to the wet weather weve had recently. I like to cast all the species I can find so I have a record of the food supply in the area and plaster is cheaper than a game cam lol. 

I'm hoping to collect more casts this year and really hoping to catch some good audio. If I only get one sample of audio this year I'll be satisfied with 2021 lol. 

Which multi-directional mics are you using?

@BlackRockBigfoot ive got 6 open channels so I'm using some old Shure mics, and some audiotechnia mics from from when i used to play in a band and do live recordings, then im throwing a parabolic dish up, and lastly a choir array with 4 drop mics on a 100ft run. With a 32gig card i can run for 100hrs. 

I have some shotgun mics I may deploy from time to time too depending on how they do outdoors.

@Redbone have you ever used filters in post? Thats the only time ive used them, have you noticed a difference between filters at the mic and filters in post? 

19 minutes ago, Skinwalker13 said:

@BlackRockBigfoot ive got 6 open channels so I'm using some old Shure mics, and some audiotechnia mics from from when i used to play in a band and do live recordings, then im throwing a parabolic dish up, and lastly a choir array with 4 drop mics on a 100ft run. With a 32gig card i can run for 100hrs. 

I have some shotgun mics I may deploy from time to time too depending on how they do outdoors.

@Redbone have you ever used filters in post? Thats the only time ive used them, have you noticed a difference between filters at the mic and filters in post? 

I have, but I was having problems with clipping. The bugs were so loud, they overwhelmed the recorder, causing distortion. After that, there was no filtering after the fact that would help. Eliminating the bugs before recording helped tremendously.

Here is a test clip, unfiltered mic vs my low pass mics. These recorders were side by side.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

@BlackRockBigfoot then im throwing a parabolic dish up, and lastly a choir array with 4 drop mics on a 100ft run.

Skinwalker....do you mind sharing more information about your parabolic dish? Did you buy it or make it?  Are you happy with it? How would you improve it?

I ask because it has on my "To Do" list for a while. The issue I struggle with is I have to be able to carry it in or on a backpack which definitely limits my choices. There is a company, or two, that have a parabolic dish and mic already made as a package deal that would work. Any information or insights would be appreciated.

https://www.wildtronics.com/store.html#!/Pro-Mini-Parabolic-Clear/p/58684090/category=16104026

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1