Lake Mead outing

iacozizzle

I was at Lake Mead on January 27 right after it rained and i was riding shotgun so i could keep my eyes peeled.   I saw what looked like an out of place rock stack.  I made a mental note and came back to it on the 30th. 

It's on a peninsula jutting out from the mountain behind it and surrounded by flood channels varying from 20 to 30 feet deep.  I was hoping it would be more accessible.  Being alone and without decent footwear I stayed within a few feet of the road.  Here is a non zoom pic followed by a zoom pic from the same spot.  I apologize for the low quality phone pics.  

20210130_120304.jpg

20210130_120249.jpg

• Upvote 1

After taking pics of the rock stack I walked back to the pullover area and past the car.  I was looking at the smooth, sandy flood wash bottoms for anything unusual.   Nothing too interesting,  but on the edge of the pullover area I found this ---

20210130_121824.jpg

20210130_121903.jpg

• Upvote 2

• gigantor featured this topic

Stomp test.  I'm 6 foot 5, about 290 and size 13 shoe.  Flip flop measures 12 inches.  

I really want to get back there soon with more and better gear.  

20210130_121941.jpg

20210130_121912.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The images gives the impression that something, small coyote perhaps? may have been excavating. Looks like a paw print or two ahead and to the right of the main impression. Not being there so it's only a guess. If it is a footprint, you show no question that you couldn't match the same depth. Good find, good eye.

The rock stack looks to be a cairn, people love making them any time they walk 50 yards off the road. When I saw they keys I thought they were all that was left of another 411 case... Interesting print.

• 2 weeks later...
SSR Team

Lake Mead as in Vegas ?

Yes, the Lake Mead east of Las Vegas.   A couple of days after I started this thread I got a message from an old friend I hadn't seen in years.  He can run his business remotely and is on an extended van life road trip.  He was at a campground at Lake Mead.  A short drive from where I took these pics.  Rather cosmic.

I drove out to his campground and as we were catching up I showed him the pics.  He had pics of his hike from the day before.  He found a boneyard at the edge of the lake just over a mile from the camping area.  I was in disbelief at the way things were unfolding and trying to commit to memory the gps log of his hike route.  I should have asked him to text some pictures.   Insert facepalm here.  I have a good idea of the location and I'll find it eventually.  

• gigantor unfeatured this topic