Bigfoot Discovery - Kill or No Kill

Believer57

Bigfoot Discovery - Kill or No Kill  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's always a good idea to start with a search for information on the BFF. However, new threads or polls on old topics help us to be engaged members. By using the latest information at our disposal, perhaps our opinion has changed over the years.

• Upvote 1

Strictly pro-kill, it is the only way science will recognize the species outside of amazing, irrefutable video evidence. Though I am not going to be the one to kill it, as I personally just don't agree with it since they're so close to humans but it needs to be done if we cannot get good video OR, by some miracle, capture a live specimen. 

Edited by Marty

OOOOOR, finds irrefutable DNA evidence that there is a primate other than Human that inhabits the wildernesses of North America. From what I've been able to ascertain, this is doable as long as the right person gets involved. Eventually I'll find such a person, I know they're out there.

5 hours ago, Believer57 said:

It's always a good idea to start with a search for information on the BFF. However, new threads or polls on old topics help us to be engaged members. By using the latest information at our disposal, perhaps our opinion has changed over the years.

I agree. Lively discussion would be preferred to me rather than reading a thread that started 9 years ago.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

I agree. Lively discussion would be preferred to me rather than reading a thread that started 9 years ago.

Agreed.  New points of view and new opinions are more interesting than a decade old thread populated by inactive members.  I am here for the discussion.  If I just want to read I will buy another book.  

• Like 1

That has got to be one of the finest posts I've read in a long time, and there have been some very good ones along the way. But paring down the main issues confronting us in order to delineate the path forward takes being able to back away and look at the entire picture. Norseman has done that and he did while respecting everyone here. It wasn't a post that criticized as much as it spoke to having everyone's knowledge and ability channel into the larger end goal of getting this creature exposed for its own good by whatever physical/scientific means available to us. It has been difficult to persuade this community to work together and not follow the usual pattern of isolated and fragmented research. Maybe we can turn the corner on that hold a more collective effort for discovery. At this point there isn't a darned thing to lose by doing so if our BF research history has anything to teach us.

And we can have science on our side in this effort. Trust me, there are some potentially good things currently happening in that regard as I speak.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, norseman said:

I understand. But it gets tiresome repeating oneself over and over and over again. 

Eh.  Let's just use the forum as a reference material and stop new discussion then.  The older threads are difficult to navigate, especially since most of the former members handles are removed.  

New discussion, even of older topics, kind of helps keep the forums feel fresh...at least it seems that way to me.  But, if it a pain in the neck to the core members...the newer members can migrate elsewhere for active discussion and just read the old threads here.

Even though I personally take the "No Kill" position, I respect the arguments of those who believe it necessary to kill a type specimen for the purpose of proving the animal exists.  As a recreational fisherman and hunter, I have no problem with harvesting wildlife.  My reservations of harvesting a specimen in this instance have to do with the fact that the species is almost certainly rare and endangered.  We don't know if killing one will have a negative effect on the health of the species existing population.  And although I consider the Sasquatch to more than likely be an unclassified species of non-human primate, or an ape, there is still the possibility that the species could be a type of human in which case killing one would constitute homicide.

I would be in favor of harvesting a specimen if I could be assured that killing one would not harm the existing genetic line of the species and that the species was not a type of human.  But as I said, I do respect the opposing viewpoint, and their are convincing arguments on both sides of the issue. 

19 hours ago, norseman said:

Its my observation that the pro kill mindset is more prevalent than it was 10 years ago.

Not to mention that norseman got my upvote for this new tidbit of information. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

Even though I personally take the "No Kill" position, I respect the arguments of those who believe it necessary to kill a type specimen for the purpose of proving the animal exists.  As a recreational fisherman and hunter, I have no problem with harvesting wildlife.  My reservations of harvesting a specimen in this instance have to do with the fact that the species is almost certainly rare and endangered.  We don't know if killing one will have a negative effect on the health of the species existing population.  And although I consider the Sasquatch to more than likely be an unclassified species of non-human primate, or an ape, there is still the possibility that the species could be a type of human in which case killing one would constitute homicide.

I would be in favor of harvesting a specimen if I could be assured that killing one would not harm the existing genetic line of the species and that the species was not a type of human.  But as I said, I do respect the opposing viewpoint, and their are convincing arguments on both sides of the issue. 

But here is the rub.

Without a type specimen? 

1) We will not know it’s relationship with us on the tree of life.

2) We will not have the backing on the scientific community to get funding, and hire biologists to go study this species and it’s habitat.

Boiled down to brass tacks? With OUT scientific recognition? We are leaving this species to its fate. If it’s habitat is being swallowed by shopping malls and hydroelectric dams? Too bad. It doesn’t have a voice. Unlike Grizzly Bears, Wolverines, Lynx, etc.

Based off morphology? I can safely say it’s NOT a Homo Sapien Sapien. Is it in the same genus? It’s Possible. But thus far does not exhibit any traits of the genus Homo. (Tool manufacture and fire) It is bipedal. But there are many species of bipedal ape men in the fossil record who do not belong to the genus Homo.

1 hour ago, Believer57 said:

Not to mention that norseman got my upvote for this new tidbit of information. :thumbsup:

Your poll:

12 yes

6 no

5 maybe

Go back and look at my old thread. I bet that number was easily reversed, or more.

23 minutes ago, norseman said:

But here is the rub.

Without a type specimen? 

1) We will not know it’s relationship with us on the tree of life.

2) We will not have the backing on the scientific community to get funding, and hire biologists to go study this species and it’s habitat.

Boiled down to brass tacks? With OUT scientific recognition? We are leaving this species to its fate. If it’s habitat is being swallowed by shopping malls and hydroelectric dams? Too bad. It doesn’t have a voice. Unlike Grizzly Bears, Wolverines, Lynx, etc.

Based off morphology? I can safely say it’s NOT a Homo Sapien Sapien. Is it in the same genus? It’s Possible. But thus far does not exhibit any traits of the genus Homo. (Tool manufacture and fire) It is bipedal. But there are many species of bipedal ape men in the fossil record who do not belong to the genus Homo.

I find your argument very persuasive.  You are making me think about this issue from a different perspective.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1