Is Anyone Feeling Closer To Sasquatch Discovery?

hiflier

Just thought I'd ask anyone who's on the quest/lookout for Bigfoot if they felt they are closing in on discovering the creature. Is your area still active? Seasonally active? No longer active? Are you looking in different places now for sign than you normally researched? And if you've moved on, have you noticed any activity or sign in your "new" area? I'm trying to get a feel for any patterns or changes anyone has experienced in their research, say, in the last two years or so.

Edited by hiflier

Definitely getting closer.  For me, there's no need to discover something I'm convinced already exists.  My goal is see one unequivocally. A full-on encounter, face-to-face.

To better answer your question, I've found an increase in trees coming down last year.  As a lifelong hiker and backpacker, I've never once heard a tree come down in my life while enjoying those activities. I've also found tracks in hard-to-find places including a 17" footprint left in water-logged mud.

I'm eager to get out in early Spring and press deeper into my areas. Myself and a buddy missed a destination pond last year as the trail got lost going through a cedar swamp. It is my first goal this Spring. I'll bushwhack around the swamp because I think the pond that lies beyond will yield results.

So, same areas, deeper penetration.

• Upvote 3

The fires from last fall really messed things up around here. However, with our July sighting and a possible one a few months later, it's hard to be too discouraged. I just wish we knew where our little family went to.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

To better answer your question, I've found an increase in trees coming down last year.  As a lifelong hiker and backpacker, I've never once heard a tree come down in my life while enjoying those activities. 

@wiiawiwb

This is not a counter-point to your argument about rarity of tree falls during hiking and backpacking.

I also rarely experience tree falls while hiking or backpacking, but I have heard them while camping in highly diseased areas in the Sierra Nevada of California and more recently in WA.

In August of 2019, I was camping in WA Cascades (5 nights) and heard a big tree fall on 3 nights!

I don't know the WA Cascades that well, but that area probably has diseased trees too.

The trees fell either late at night (~10-11 PM) or early in the morning (~4-5 AM) and I did not go looking for the fallen trees in the morning since the area was a high density forest.

I record 8 hours every night (from 9 PM to 5 AM), so I captured these sounds and made sound clips of the recordings because they were so loud and bigger than anything I heard in California.

Attached below are the recordings I made using the Tascam DR-05. 

I have 2 of these recorders and I am happy with them. I take them car camping and backpacking.

The 2 AA energizer batteries will last three 8 hour nights of continuous recording (24 hours total). 

Tree Fall 153 CLIP August 6 1056 PM Normalized - Copy.mp3 Tree Fall 163 CLIP Aug 7 1020 PM Normalized - Copy.mp3 Tree Fall 193 CLIP Aug 10 456 AM Normalized - Copy.mp3

• Upvote 3

Wow, they are distinct and loud tree falls!  Your Tascams provide a long recording time which is perfect for what we do. That's great. Change out batteries the next night and you're set to go.

A few years ago, several guys and I went to this a pond where a sighting had occurred by someone known to us. The first time there, a tree came down at night. We returned and the second, third and fourth times there, a tree came down. This area, in general, has about two dozen ponds scattered about like broken glass.

The trees coming down this year were at another pond about a mile from the one that had four fallen trees in a row. For me, that's too many to be a coincidence and one of the reasons it's one of my two research areas. 

• Upvote 1

Every minute I'm out there is one step closer to the possibility anyway. I know they are there and have had what I think is evidence of nearness but is this the year? I hope so. There is no reason why a Sasquatch shouldn't show up in my front yard, Every other large critter and small too has been through--Bear, Moose prints in the drive, Coyote, Fox, Pine Marten, Ermine, Bobcat, Racoon, Whitetail Deer, Porcupine, Cougar reports nearby, Bald Eagles and Osprey shredding fish in the tops of the pines, Barred, Saw Whet and the occasional Great Horned owls. When I built here I chased out the Goshawks, they've better sense than to abide the hairless bipedal abomination.  It's only a matter of time before I look out and see the big guy!

Edited by Kiwakwe
typo
  • Upvote 1

Well, I'm out in the woods more w/Household 6, doing longer hikes and pushing off a lot of beaten tracks (for us).  But I'm practically a NYC suburb, so I'm not carrying my VHS camcorder at the ready.

Just going to be passive in different areas of Michigan. To see what takes place and see if i can capture it on video. Setting my goal. If it happens it happens if not oh well. But like i said I am taking a more passive approach this year. I just need to by my flir and I will be all set. I have my digital nightvision video camera with attached mic , 5 trail cameras, four GoPro cameras and 1 auto voice recorder. So I am not sure how i am going to be passive with all this stuff. So I guess it will be happy hunting. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

So I am not sure how i am going to be passive with all this stuff.

I call it being actively passive, or passively active, depending on one's point of view. I figure as long as one is respectful enough to let their presence be known then history has shown that the creatures will approach just to see what's there. Training oneself to know how to look at the woods and see something large trying to hide takes practice. Most of us know the creature's techniques regarding stealth and so panning with our eyes needs to be done slowly and carefully with pauses. It's no different than if using a device. Sort of like still hunting but done with our eyes as opposed to being slowly mobile. 

Edited by hiflier

6 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Just going to be passive in different areas of Michigan. To see what takes place and see if i can capture it on video. Setting my goal. If it happens it happens if not oh well. But like i said I am taking a more passive approach this year. I just need to by my flir and I will be all set. I have my digital nightvision video camera with attached mic , 5 trail cameras, four GoPro cameras and 1 auto voice recorder. So I am not sure how i am going to be passive with all this stuff. So I guess it will be happy hunting. 

Wow. You are well equipped. I applaud your approach. Kudos!

Question--what do you do with 4 GoPros?

I’m picturing SB stalking the woods with 4 GoPros strapped to his noggin pointed in all directions.  Gotta cover all angles!! :rofl:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Question--what do you do with 4 GoPros?

Well have not thought that out yet. But Twist did give me an idea for them though. One of them I have thought of placing it on a harness for my German Shepherd. Since he is always taking the lead. The others I was thinking of placing them around camp when we are not around. Since they are small and do not make noise and can be hidden. Well you know they may pick up some visits when we are out hiking.

• Upvote 1