Is Anyone Feeling Closer To Sasquatch Discovery?

hiflier

On 2/26/2021 at 2:27 PM, hiflier said:

Just thought I'd ask anyone who's on the quest/lookout for Bigfoot if they felt they are closing in on discovering the creature. Is your area still active? Seasonally active? No longer active? Are you looking in different places now for sign than you normally researched? And if you've moved on, have you noticed any activity or sign in your "new" area? I'm trying to get a feel for any patterns or changes anyone has experienced in their research, say, in the last two years or so.

Nope ... not exactly stalled out, but pretty nearly.    I simply don't spend the time in the woods I did up 'til about 3 years ago.   New relationship, change of responsibilities.   Last year, for the first time since 2011, I went through my favorite area to research, in what should have been peak season, and had exactly NOTHING happen, not even a suspicious possibility.    Nothing to suggest anything changed, just ... empty.   I wouldn't draw any huge conclusions from it yet, gotta see what the next couple years bring. 

There are some candidate possibilities if it does repeat though.   The biggest one, IMHO, is a series of fires over the past 6-7 years which burned a bare swath across the Cascades leaving no cover up high for anything / anyone moving north/south, rather, to stay under cover, a person (etc :)) would have to travel quite a distance east or west around the edges of the burned area.

MIB

• Upvote 1

Since it takes two or three years for nature to replenish browsing material it could temporarily be a good thing. What has been nice to see is researchers in areas that have helped pick up the slack for people like me who haven't been in the field much. Long camping trips for a couple of seasons before Covid, and more frequent trips locally this past year have not really seen me in the field specifically looking except for in the places where my spouse and I have camped. And since that was mostly coastal camping I didn't honestly expect to find much of anything....and I didn't

I also had shied away from winter until the cold/snow was gone but that is something I'm trying to change starting in a couple of weeks. I've gotten myself set up better this year for cold camping which helps. That and the fact that there has been some very interesting activity in, say, the five years or so has helped me in making this decision. I look at it as having better visual depth in woods as well as having a better environment for the thermal. We'll see....

• 1 month later...

I've just looked over all the threads in the last three pages or so. My conclusion has left me wondering if anyone has any thoughts about moving this Forum to the next level? I also think everyone might know what that move would entail. This goes to the possibility that the most important anthropological discovery of the last two centuries could actually happen within our lifetimes. Think about it......within our own lifetimes.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't put out my experiences online unless I talk straightaway to whoever is interested. I prefer the verbal expression versus written due to the fact that words and punctuation create emotional responses that are not what I care to generate. I can tell you though they exist and they're not apes. They are amazing and my search is to find out why they are here and why we are here on this planet.

22 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I've just looked over all the threads in the last three pages or so. My conclusion has left me wondering if anyone has any thoughts about moving this Forum to the next level? I also think everyone might know what that move would entail. This goes to the possibility that the most important anthropological discovery of the last two centuries could actually happen within our lifetimes. Think about it......within our own lifetimes.

I actually do not know because I am fairly new here, but I would like to hear about it.  How would your propose moving this Forum to the next level?  Trust me, I am all for doing anything to facilitate the process of new species discovery.  I am all ears.

17 minutes ago, hiflier said:

My conclusion has left me wondering if anyone has any thoughts about moving this Forum to the next level?

I guess it depends on what you mean by that.   

I am a researcher at heart and that's my focus, but I'm also (sometimes painfully) aware that the charter / guidelines for BFF state that it is for discussion of bigfoot-related stuff, it is not a research site.   It might be necessary to address updating the charter / guidelines depending on what your intent is.    It might also be appropriate to consider something in the Bigfoot Research Groups sub-section of the forum.  

I do not know what this supposed next level is nor whether I will have anything to do with it.   My time is MY time.   I've discovered that bigfooting comes out of my time.   That is, I still have to do my job, I still have to do my house / yard chores and take care of my responsibilities.   Bigfooting, like fishing and backpacking, comes out of that too-narrow sliver of time that is truly mine.   I'm not going to tolerate anyone (ANYONE) telling me how to divide that up.    I'm interested in others' ideas but I alone will be the one deciding which, if any, I adopt for my own use.

MIB

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, MIB said:

I'm not going to tolerate anyone (ANYONE) telling me how to divide that up.

No one is telling anyone to do anything so relax. And I'm fully aware of the purposes of the BFF WRT it being a discussion platform. But I also think discussion regarding moving BF discovery forward is an important topic to open up. And as long as the end goal is clear then it simply comes down to how to achieve it. This topic wouldn't be necessarily for anyone who isn't interested in public disclosure of the creature's existence, though. And anything that comes out of it would only be in the area of suggestions for moving things toward that end. There are those after all that do not wish to have the truth about Bigfoot existence made public. And although there have been many claims about having or showing proof, we all know that the reality is that there is no proof no matter what anyone has said or posted, whether it be here, on YouTube, or anywhere else.

So, yeah, no one is telling you or anyone else, what to do, MIB. But if anyone wants to get to the the truth as to whether BF exists or not, and have it made public, there are ways to accomplish it.

Edited by hiflier

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

My conclusion has left me wondering if anyone has any thoughts about moving this Forum to the next level? I also think everyone might know what that move would entail.

I have no clue what you are talking about.  As stated in a previous post, this is a discussion board.   I don’t view it as anything more.   

46 minutes ago, hiflier said:

If anyone wants to get to the the truth as to whether BF exists or not, and have it made public, there are ways to accomplish it.

As long as you don't start your own scientific journal or buy one and rename it, the idea is off to a good start.

How would you propose to distribute your scientific results?

Edited by Arvedis

I think if everyone in the BF community had a way to pool in resources via donations, a community wide effort could be made to fund a serious expedition but it would largely be dependent on who would helm that project. I think with all the past failed attempts, we are wary and for good reason, but if it was someone like Meldrum leading the charge with some great researchers or otherwise experienced outdoorsmen willing to think outside the box we might be able to get somewhere. I think individual evidence has its place, but it hasn't really gotten us anywhere near closer to "verifying" the animal, now is a perfect time to finally set up something truly monumental.  

Edited by Marty

2 hours ago, xdivision said:

I don't put out my experiences online unless I talk straightaway to whoever is interested. I prefer the verbal expression versus written due to the fact that words and punctuation create emotional responses that are not what I care to generate. I can tell you though they exist and they're not apes. They are amazing and my search is to find out why they are here and why we are here on this planet.

Humans are a great ape. So are Chimps, Bonobos, Gorillas, Orangutans....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human

So are you saying they are not of this planet? Or are you just trying to say they are closer to humans than Gorillas?

33 minutes ago, Marty said:

...if it was someone like Meldrum leading the charge with some great researchers or otherwise experienced outdoorsmen willing to think outside the box we might be able to get somewhere.

That has been the ongoing theme for some time. Meldrum is the default scientific presence but so far this has led to negligible or minimal scientific validity behind such expeditions. Any number of documentaries or reality shows where he is included leads to....[fill in the blank as long as it is a synonym of nothing].

The only outside the box thinking that is needed for scientific validity is the mythical carcass. I'd like to put to the test the theory that the gov will confiscate it. So long as you don't drop it on federal or state land, it would be interesting to see what the authorities would do about it, if anything. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Twist said:

I have no clue what you are talking about.

And that's entirely possible.

1 hour ago, Arvedis said:

How would you propose to distribute your scientific results?

My scientific results? Please, explain.

2 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

How would your propose moving this Forum to the next level?

I am open to suggestions, I just think the Forum needs to raise the bar on discovery.

1 hour ago, Marty said:

I think if everyone in the BF community had a way to pool in resources via donations, a community wide effort could be made to fund a serious expedition but it would largely be dependent on who would helm that project. I think with all the past failed attempts, we are wary and for good reason, but if it was someone like Meldrum leading the charge with some great researchers or otherwise experienced outdoorsmen willing to think outside the box we might be able to get somewhere.

The longer you're around the more you will know that everything has failed, Dr. Meldrum notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, Marty said:

I think if everyone in the BF community had a way to pool in resources via donations, a community wide effort could be made to fund a serious expedition

Serious expeditions have been funded and done off and on for decades. It doesn't work. But pooling resources in a community-wide effort is certainly something to consider and there has been some talk about that. This thread could probably benefit by including some suggestion along that line? But only if the aim is to move closer to a path to Bigfoot proof. One thing I am sure of though is that science and scientists might like to know that they could have our support, because scientists do like to have public support and recognition for their efforts. Maybe they should start hearing from us?  I would consider supporting Dr. Meldrum financially, but I wouldn't support him or anyone else for some kind of traditional expedition, although I admit, there were times when I thought differently about that..

Edited by hiflier

6 minutes ago, hiflier said:

And that's entirely possible.

My scientific results? Please, explain.

I am open to suggestions, I just think the Forum needs to raise the bar o discovery.

The longer you're around the more you will know that everything has failed, Dr. Meldrum notwithstanding.

Serious expeditions have been funded and done off and on for decades. It doesn't work. But pooling resources in a community-wide effort is certainly something to consider and there has been some talk about that. This thread could probably benefit by including some suggestion along that line? But only if the aim is to move closer to a path to Bigfoot proof. One thing I am sure of though is that science and scientists might like to know that they could have our support, because scientists do like to have public support and recognition for their efforts. Maybe they should start hearing from us? 

As far as I am aware, there has yet to be a concerned, well-organized expedition into the forests of the Pacific Northwest for the purpose of documenting this species.  I know there have been many upon many independent researchers and small groups going out for a few days, but this is not what I am referring to.  I am referring to a well-organized group of many researchers, divided into teams and living in the wilderness for months at a time until this species is found and documented.  At this point, although I have always taken a strictly No-Kill position, I would be opening to documenting this species by any means necessary.  Even if it included taking a type specimen.  If one of these animals is killed to document its existence, than the government's of the United States and Canada could quickly move to place the species on the endangered species list.

That is my suggestion.  It will take a lot of time, money, and effort, and it will be anything but easy, but the end result will be worth it.  I am convinced that such an expedition would achieve the desired results.

27 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

So long as you don't drop it on federal or state land

With all due respect, Arvedis, I'm trying not to do the "you" thing. This is more about a "we" thing. In reality, what are the chances of anyone depositing a Bigfoot body anywhere? Good for a what-if discussion or opinion, but doesn't help advance this thread to where it could perhaps have a better outcome?