VDEG 4.1a- Everything You Need To Know For Your Backcountry BF Expedition

Kiwakwe

11 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

https://www.exploringoverland.com/shop/vdeg4-1a

The undisputed bible of backcountry travel.  I have Tom Sheppard's original edition and the later 4.1, co-authored with Jonathan Hanson, I prefer the larger format of the older version but plenty of updated info in the newer.

That's a lot of book!

The area that we have been mostly going into is crisscrossed with old forestry roads, so I have been surfing the overlanding forums off and on for equipment suggestions.  In the market for an electric chainsaw right now for tree removal from the road if necessary.

11 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

That's a lot of book!

The area that we have been mostly going into is crisscrossed with old forestry roads, so I have been surfing the overlanding forums off and on for equipment suggestions.  In the market for an electric chainsaw right now for tree removal from the road if necessary.

I like my Milwaukee. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

40v?

I think so. I mean it’s a small light trail saw. Your not gettin hired as a faller in the woods with it. But it surprisingly has a lot of low end grunt. With two batteries and charger it will easily keep up with a day of 4x4ing. If I was going to go cut cord wood I would want a gas saw along. I like Stihl over Husky. 

I also have the pole saw. And swap batteries. I actually like the stealth of both of them. No mistake if someone is running a 2 stroke in the woods. Battery just makes chain noise.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, norseman said:

I think so. I mean it’s a small light trail saw. Your not gettin hired as a faller in the woods with it. But it surprisingly has a lot of low end grunt. With two batteries and charger it will easily keep up with a day of 4x4ing. If I was going to go cut cord wood I would want a gas saw along. I like Stihl over Husky. 

I also have the pole saw. And swap batteries. I actually like the stealth of both of them. No mistake if someone is running a 2 stroke in the woods. Battery just makes chain noise.

That's where I am at...no noise and not having to mess around with carrying fuel for it.  

I am probably going to start looking into getting one over the next week or so.  

5 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

That's where I am at...no noise and not having to mess around with carrying fuel for it.  

I am probably going to start looking into getting one over the next week or so.  

Still have to carry bar oil though. I had so many Milwaukee tools it just made sense. I’m sure Dewalt and others build good ones too.

There are some bigger saws by no name companies? Dunno. Didn’t trust that.

I'm in the market for a battery saw also. I have an Ego Power weed whacker that does a good job, solid build too, it makes sense to stick with that line and its 56V batteries.

Good reviews here:

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/lawn-garden/cordless-chainsaw/best-cordless-chainsaw-head-to-head/

On 3/1/2021 at 9:36 AM, Kiwakwe said:

I'm in the market for a battery saw also. I have an Ego Power weed whacker that does a good job, solid build too, it makes sense to stick with that line and its 56V batteries.

Good reviews here:

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/lawn-garden/cordless-chainsaw/best-cordless-chainsaw-head-to-head/

Awesome.  Not familiar with that brand.  I will check them out 

On 2/28/2021 at 7:03 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

40v?

I'm pretty sure the Milwaukees are all 18V, they just have a large 12.0 Ah battery. We started putting using them at work, and admittedly, I was pleasantly surprised. We really only use them for few and small cuts (topping power poles). I still prefer gas, but I doubt you'd be unhappy with them for your purpose.

The battery costs almost what the saw does.

Edited by langfordbc
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

I'm pretty sure the Milwaukees are all 18V, they just have a large 12.0 Ah battery. We started putting using them at work, and admittedly, I was pleasantly surprised. We really only use them for few and small cuts (topping power poles). I still prefer gas, but I doubt you'd be unhappy with them for your purpose.

The battery costs almost what the saw does.

That sounds like what I am looking for...

I just need it to clear downed trees on the old forestry and logging roads that we usually use.  I was going to pick up a smaller gas powered chainsaw, but someone suggested battery powered to keep in the vehicle.

Pay attention to the cost of the batteries. Merchants will hook you with a 'package deal'.  After the sale, buying extra batteries is a shocker.

If you own cordless tools, staying with the battery platform may help out.

I have a Makita cordless chain saw. XCU03 with a 14" bar. Buying points were 'Oregon' bar and 'Oregon' chain.  It is about 11lbs.  The charger is huge, 2 bays for 18v  5.0 Ah batteries and a USB port ( 5V  1.5A ).

Light weight and easy to handle.  Cutting wet downed trees never offers an optimum cutting position. Run time cutting wet 'green' trees is variable. Your mileage will vary so have extra batteries.  For in vehicle storage / disguise, I found a large grass catcher bag for a lawn mower at a thrift shop. Looks like a bag of non-descript stuff. I use canola oil for bar oil. 

Shop hard.

I see that river has the Makita XCU04PT1 16" with 4 18V 5ah batteries, 36V so it requires 2 at a time.

I can't decide which is the better deal, slamazon often challenges the buyer with difficult decisions such as this one:

710011221_ScreenShot2021-03-08at10_31_44PM.png.1530e40c33597b7b28e439b1e6f868f0.png

• Haha 1

^^^^^

Shop hard.

You have a 50-50 chance of getting spanked with the above deal.

The merchant price for the 'kits' is lower than 'tool only' and then you buy batteries unless you have the battery platform already.

I just checked on line and the lowest price for the 14" Makita is $389, with charger and 4 batteries.  Locally, I have seen a package deal for 2 individual batteries  @ $159.

The large Milwaukee battery is $200.  The EGO battery is $220.   Ouch.

An on line source with a selection is CPO Outlets.  I did not know that Makita has a cordless coffee maker.  A fire is cordless too.

Buying 'certified refurbished' is an option. I talked to a tool rep years ago about refurbished tools. Many are returned to the vendor as buyers remorse and they have to be examined / repaired at a service center, branded refurbished and sold.

I have purchased refurbished cordless tools and trail cams.  I consider them 'pre-disastered', with a factory warranty for less money.

The batteries get you every time.  Makes external storage on your vehicle for a gas chainsaw look good if you can deal with gas and oil storage.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 9:36 AM, Kiwakwe said:

Good reviews here:

Lowe's has the 14 inch Ego chainsaw on sale right now.  I picked one up when we got home yesterday afternoon.  

My initial impressions are extremely positive.  I am probably going to pick up a 5ah battery for it this week.  This is exactly what I need in case I get blocked in by a downed tree on some old mountain road.

They are $219 right now with the battery and charger.