Bigfoot Whistling

Henry Stevens

If you watch TV, you would think that bigfoot is attracted by wood knocking and imitation of calling.  People practice calls.  People even invent special knockers to call bigfoot. How many years have they been doing it?  Flash, it is not working.

Yet in every folk culture people are taught not to ever whistle in potential bigfoot areas lest you call him.  This seems to be a belief held world wide.  So the question is why are bigfoot field investigators not using some form of imitation whistle to call bigfoot.

It's a great question! From what I have read, a whistle, like shaking a tree is considered an aggressive maneuver. Not something you want to do lightly.

Look what happened when Jay Bachochin started shaking a tree, he was hit by a rock in the head that could have killed him.

Whistling, like rock throwing, may be learned behavior in that is used by some groups and not others. Could be time to call in our resident Squatchermetrics expert one more time for some data? It comes to mind that even tree knocking may be passed down only in certain groups, which may mean that in some areas the practice could be just a big waste of time and energy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Henry Stevens said:

Yet in every folk culture people are taught not to ever whistle in potential bigfoot areas lest you call him.  This seems to be a belief held world wide.  So the question is why are bigfoot field investigators not using some form of imitation whistle to call bigfoot.

What is the point of going Bigfooting if you are not trying to get it's attention. That is what Bigfooting is all about to get a encounter and to see one up close. So if it takes to move some brush or whistle then that's what you do.

I know that I have knocked, whistle and have been real aggressive to get a encounter. And yes, all these tactics work. You are not going out into the woods not to see one but to have a encounter. So you do what ever it takes.

14 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

That is what Bigfooting is all about to get a encounter and to see one up close.

Maybe for you and just about everyone else, but that is not in my playbook. If it happens then, sure, icing on the cake, but simply to go out for the purposes of having an encounter? Nope, that is not the point behind me being in the field. Having an encounter will not save the habitat. If it did then things would be very different today. Getting proof though? Now we can talk :)

2 hours ago, Henry Stevens said:

If you watch TV, you would think that bigfoot is attracted by wood knocking and imitation of calling.  People practice calls.  People even invent special knockers to call bigfoot. How many years have they been doing it?  Flash, it is not working.

I am quite sure whistling is good as any other method.

The important thing is to spend time in the great remote

Outdoors with an adequate weapon .

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I am quite sure whistling is good as any other method.

Ah, but as you're a scientist that would be an assumption, no?

9 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Ah, but as you're a scientist that would be an assumption, no?

Absolutely an assumption.

Not much science involved in this subject for obvious reasons. Lots of assumptions.

1 hour ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Not much science involved in this subject for obvious reasons.

Yes, but there could be ;) It also depends on who ya talk to.

1 hour ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Absolutely an assumption.

Not much science involved in this subject for obvious reasons. Lots of assumptions.

A assumption to some until you get into a hot area and you commit your self to a encounter.

As far as science goes is not science about repeating some thing that has been done already once. But now documenting it . This way it can be confirmed by science.

4 hours ago, Henry Stevens said:

So the question is why are bigfoot field investigators not using some form of imitation whistle to call bigfoot.

Some of these tactics have been used so much that these creatures are getting use to them. From us trying to act like them. They have wised up and will now run from us humans. I am assuming. They are not dumb creatures.

I prefer to create a setting where it will come to me which is why I like going to an area time after time. At some point, I wholeheartedly agree about trying to engage a sasquatch through calls, whistles, wood knocks, or other means.  Who knows, maybe it decides to be receptive and whistles back.

Contrary to the "folk" lore about whistling my grandmas (shawnee and lenape) always taught me to whistle when I'm going in the forest to let "the spirits" know I was coming in so I wouldn't suprise them. To this day when I'm out hiking I'll stop occassionally and let out a two toned whistle. in the area im most active ive actually had the whistle I make made at me as I got into a cove. I wish I had a recorder with me when I went out that day but it was before I got my H5. 

• Upvote 2

There is area that I investigate in the Sierra Nevada-CA where I have heard whistles that sound human but I think they are birds.

The first time I heard the whistle, I thought somebody was following me.  

It is a single whistle but I heard it multiple times.

The following year, I took a friend of mine to climb that mountain and we both heard the same type of whistle.

Thus, I concluded it must be some type of bird.

I have not searched thoroughly the Cornell library of bird sounds for similar sounds, thus have not identified the culprit. 

Nonetheless, below are a couple of interesting links on birds that whistle (none of these match what I heard).

https://www.birdnote.org/listen/shows/birds-whistle

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-throated_Sparrow/sounds

The Cornell U. weblink for the Macaulay Library is below.

https://www.macaulaylibrary.org/

Edited by Explorer

I traded whistles with what I assume were bigfoots out in the woods before I knew what was what, during my first experience back in 2012. They were hunting in a cornfield, presumably communicating. I whistled, butting in essentially, and they came in to see me, triangulating on my answering whistles. I had no idea what I was doing or what was out there or who I was talking to. They did it on two different nights. I'd try hard to replicate this, though I'm not sure using this presumed hunting whistle tone would be a good idea, now that I know more. That experience got me into this whole topic.

Edited by Madison5716

The way bigfoot is found seems to be people stumbling into it by accident (almost).  Knocking may be a warning like a beaver hitting his tail on the water.  Yelps may be good and I have heard them but these were not loud sounds and seemed to be short range.  The roaring attempts humans do are silly, anyone who has heard a roar knows the sheer volume of the bigfoot's roar is nothing a human can duplicate.  So we are left with whistling.  I cannot whistle as loud as necessary--some people can.  Why not use a wooden or plastic whistle, one that has been selected for a tone similar to alleged bigfoot whistles ?