Expedition Bigfoot claims to have found unknown primate eDNA

BlackRockBigfoot

Dread Central link to story

I am seeing this on a couple of sites right now, but no one major is carrying the story as of yet.  Hopefully they are not misrepresenting these eDNA samples.  This is supposedly from the soil sample that they gathered in Kentucky.

From the article:

"...when we’re looking at environmental DNA samples, we detect humans, because there’s going be human traces almost everywhere.”

“But what I found very interesting was that, yes, we have detected human DNA in these areas, but we’re still seeing different primate DNA. There wasn’t just one human primate, there are several different primates, some sort of primate relative that exists in the data.”

“Pan troglodyte is a species of chimpanzee, which you would not see in the areas you’re at. It’s a real head scratcher. It’s important to note that the higher the detection, the more confidence we can say that whatever organism, whatever taxonomy we’re looking at was apparent in the area. And in this case, we’re looking at the Pan genus, or the chimpanzee genus…. there’s 3000 reads.”

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Thanks 1

• BlackRockBigfoot changed the title to Expedition Bigfoot claims to have found unknown primate eDNA

I'm skeptical. However, if it's legit that is some great news. I do not think it will really change anything in the grand scheme of things, even if it is the real deal.

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I am seeing this on a couple of sites right now, but no one major is carrying the story as of yet.  Hopefully they are not misrepresenting these eDNA samples.  This is supposedly from the soil sample that they gathered in Kentucky.

I wonder where they got the idea?

You'd think they read the BFF :bye:

10 minutes ago, gigantor said:

It was @hiflier sending Dr. Mayor detailed eDNA emails. Pretty sure the intention was to get her opinion. Though it is still not too late to usurp the glory from the flatline Expedition BF series and claim victory for the BFF.

I'm not seeing the connection though with BF since it is chimp DNA.

Edited by Arvedis

8 minutes ago, BeansBaxter78 said:

I'm skeptical. However, if it's legit that is some great news. I do not think it will really change anything in the grand scheme of things, even if it is the real deal.

I agree, Beans.  

At least it isn't being just explained away as contaminated.

The chimpanzee connection is interesting.  I have always said that whatever I am experiencing here in the south generally just doesn't seem to have the size of what you guys in the Pacific Northwest, Canada, and Alaska are encountering.  I am just thinking out loud, and I know that I am making an already hard to believe scenario even more complex...but, maybe we have a smaller, more nimble creature in this region as compared to your northern forest giants. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

I'm not seeing the connection though with BF since it is chimp DNA.

It said the same genus, not necessarily the exact same thing.

And, seeing as how we still don't know what Sasquatch is exactly...why would chimpanzee be ruled out?  Nothing says that it has to be gorilla.  

It will not be a Gorilla and it won't be a Chimp. The reason that they say they're seeing Pan troglodyte (Chimp) is because what they have, if it's true, is the DNA passed onto BF by the Last common Ancestor AFTER Chimps which gave rise to Sasquatches and Humans. Hey, I'm not saying I right about this line of thinking, but if the Sasquatch is real, then it's what makes the most sense to me. I mean, what if the DNA results are true and I'm right? Then lookout, because we would have not only a new cousin, but the missing link as well. Or at least an offshoot of the missing link.

27 minutes ago, gigantor said:

You'd think they read the BFF :bye:

Of course they do....HI GUYS! :)

18 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

It was @hiflier sending Dr. Mayor detailed eDNA emails. Pretty sure the intention was to get her opinion. Though it is still not too late to usurp the glory from the flatline Expedition BF series and claim victory for the BFF.

Wull yeah ;) I did send an email about the Notch2NL about a year ago or more. No answer, but that's okay. She's been busy. A little updated news though, I have already emailed the person mentioned in the article: Miroslava Munguia Ramos, project manager at the UCLA California Environmental DNA program. Just out of curiosity, of course, because that's what I do- go to the source whenever possible.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, hiflier said:

It will not be a Gorilla and it won't be a Chimp. The reason that they say they're seeing Pan troglodyte (Chimp) is because what they have, if it's true, is the DNA passed onto BF by the Last common Ancestor AFTER Chimps which gave rise to Sasquatches and Humans. Hey, I'm not saying I right about this line of thinking, but if the Sasquatch is real, then it's what makes the most sense to me. I mean, what if the DNA results are true and I'm right? Then lookout, because we would have not only a new cousin, but the missing link as well. Or at least an offshoot of the missing link.

The LCA part makes good scientific sense to lay persons.  Missing link theories are rough ground though.

1 minute ago, hiflier said:

A little updated news though, I have already emailed the person mentioned in the article: Miroslava Munguia Ramos, project manager at the UCLA California Environmental DNA program. Just out of curiosity, of course, because that's what I do- go to the source whenever possible.

You should get a podcast going or jump on someone else's. They are hard pressed for interesting guests.  

2 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

The LCA part makes good scientific sense to lay persons.  Missing link theories are rough ground though.

You should get a podcast going or jump on someone else's. They are hard pressed for interesting guests.  

Agreed, missing links are rough ground, it's why I said "or at least an offshoot." But wouldn't Sasquatch DNA discovery be a great way to help science to zero in on the missing link?

As far as a podcast goes, I have been asked but it hasn't happened yet. Patience.

38 minutes ago, hiflier said:

As far as a podcast goes....

If you haven't already, check out MonsterTalk: https://player.fm/series/monstertalk-170188. They are sciency skeptics and will ask good questions.

As for this topic, if it gets legs, I will be curious what Dr. Todd has to say.

• Upvote 1

This may be a good time to explain something from the article: "And in this case, we’re looking at the Pan genus, or the chimpanzee genus…. there’s 3000 reads."

What does that mean? A DNA sequence, no matter how long or short (number of base pairs) is called a library. A "read" is the identification of a base pair within the DNA sequence. They performed a metabarcoding protocol which looks at the mitochondrial DNA sequences of any organism that appears in the sample.

DNA in the Human nuclear DNA has over 3 billion base pairs. But even though there's way more DNA in the mitochondria's DNA it is mostly repeats. In actuality Human mtDNA only has 16,569 actual base pairs- NOT 3 billion. So looking at the quote, out of 16,569 base pairs they "read" 3000 that were Pan troglodyte. That means that out of 16,569 Human DNA base pairs, 3000, or over 20% was from the genus Pan (Chimps).

And you wonder why I've been studying this stuff ;) Now you know. It's so I can understand the DNA things that come our way. If it those results after testing the soil samples are true? Then it's BIG. VERY big.

@Arvedis Dr. Todd? He wouldn't be bad for peer review BUT!! I have to seriously wonder why didn't the samples go to him in the first place.

Edited by hiflier

2 hours ago, hiflier said:

Dr. Todd? He wouldn't be bad for peer review BUT!! I have to seriously wonder why didn't the samples go to him in the first place.

Word is out. He's no longer unbiased, despite his scientific rigor.

I'm wondering if the NDA for the show or other legal inhibitors will get in the way of the data being shared (not in a weak reality show context, like a real peer review)? It sounds like a published paper, at the very least, for Dr. Mayor if this detail can be studied further.

I am not to hope full about this. This DNA should have showed it's face a long time ago. Instead all of sudden it comes out now as being as part of a show . Some thing does not seem to be right about this. But and I mean But, being in the field and encountering these creatures . There is chimp behavior in them that can explain some of their actions. But there is also this human behavior as well. As well as some other behavior that I personally cannot explain.  Better DNA needs to be obtained to explain these creatures existence. But this DNA might help in hunting one down though. It can help in the behavior of the creatures patterns. By understanding chimps behavior. That's if this DNA is true. 

• Upvote 1

This show last season was scripted made up stuff at a Dude ranch. All of a sudden they're doing stuff legit like.... okay?

• Upvote 1