Expedition Bigfoot claims to have found unknown primate eDNA

BlackRockBigfoot

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
9 hours ago, Arvedis said:

I'm wondering if the NDA for the show or other legal inhibitors will get in the way of the data being shared (not in a weak reality show context, like a real peer review)? It sounds like a published paper, at the very least, for Dr. Mayor if this detail can be studied further.

Well if there's an NDA the cat is already out of the bag if that article's quotes are any indication. The results from the e-DNA that was taken from the Olympic Project's nesting site were announced on two different podcasts, first by Meldrum, then by Disotell....so much for any NDA's on that one.

Edited by hiflier

Well if anything comes out of this, I hope they flesh it out. What i hope does not happen is they use it as another blip to segue scenes in ExBF.

I know I've said this 800 times already but ExBF is a failure from a BF research perspective. A good BF reality program is hard to do without stepping on your own feet. This show is just a lot of random blips with no connected dots and lots of forgettable personalities. So if anything substantial comes out of it, I hope it's a paper.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hiflier said:

The results from the e-DNA that was taken from the Olympic Project's nesting site were announced on two different podcasts,

What were the results to the Olympic Projects nesting site? were they the same as to what is out on the expedition bigfoot. If they were then we truly have some thing and then we have game on to hunting these creatures. It would be just a matter of predicting of where they would be next.. But I am still weary of these results.

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

Hi, ShadowBorn, the first WA nesting site five years ago had soil samples taken. They came back with all kinds of animals detected including Human DNA which was reported to be too degraded to show a novel primate. The second nest find a year ago supposedly has "time-sensitive" evidence taken which one could assume is also soil DNA samples but nothing has ever been said to verify that.

One thing is certain though, neither nest find has so far stated anything about DNA base-pair "reads" where this article stated that there were 3000 "reads" that pointed to genus Pan troglodyte (Chimpanzee). The article went on to say that, yes, there was Human DNA found as well, but along with that, the DNA results showed several other different primate species. Imagine that, evidence of a Chimpanzee loose somewhere in the wilds of Kentucky. Seems pretty much impossible- unless of course, it isn't a Chimp :)

13 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Imagine that, evidence of a Chimpanzee loose somewhere in the wilds of Kentucky. Seems pretty much impossible- unless of course, it isn't a Chimp :)

The nest site they took the edna samples from werent in KY though, they were pulled from the Olympics. 

Also their NDA is a 5 year gag. I signed one to work with them and then got the boot. So I cant openly talk about what i was involved with unfortunately. 

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

Yes, there were samples taken in Oregon, but the article states Appalachian Kentucky, so, both places perhaps? It sounds like the Kentucky samples are the ones Dr. Mayor and Ms. Ramos are referring to?

@hiflier I just read it, gotta say I'm guilty of not reading it ahead of time. The whole thing really rubs me the wrong way for multiple reasons namely personal connections to some of the stuff in the show and how they handled themselves, I didnt recall any EDNA pulls for KY just the ones from the Olympics. So, its interesting seeing that the results came from just about an hour and a half from my house.

Edited by Skinwalker13

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

HAH! Seen any Chimps running around lately? ;) All kidding aside, Sw13, I thank you for your straight-ahead honesty. In my book, you just rang the bell at the top of the rope. Some in the BF research community, like Standing, Dyer, and a few others, could take lessons from you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

The whole thing really rubs me the wrong way for multiple reasons...

I'd say the investigation looks botched at this point. I'm thinking there was a leak and dread central and whoever else got hold of private emails.  Travel Channel re-posted those initial emails between the lab and the show as a press release. That is amateurism.  What a professional does is assemble the details, put it in context for people to understand and make the claims something you can defend. Looks like some staffer got excited and just winged it. 

Plus, if Dr. Mayor really did say this then I put too much faith in her abilities.

"This scientific expedition may have finally taken one of the world’s greatest mysteries out of the pages of legend and lore and into reality," said Dr. Mayor.

What scientist would make such a boast with nothing but emails to back it up?  There better be some serious academic work done or maybe I'm putting too much faith in that to happen as well.

Bah

Edited by Arvedis

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

This DNA road for me has been long and difficult. But I'm willing to wait this out and hold back on speculation until the entire truth comes out. In the mean time, it in no way changes my own plans. And yes, I'm being cryptic about a cryptid. Is there any other way? :) 

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

This DNA road for me has been long and difficult. But I'm willing to wait this out and hold back on speculation until the entire truth comes out. In the mean time, it in no way changes my own plans. And yes, I'm being cryptic about a cryptid. Is there any other way? :) 

But you are not part of the top 25 influencers according to the latest stats. These stats are the gold standard according to Bigfootery Today magazine.  Maybe you have a plan to catapult the rankings?  Is this a potential scoop for Dread Central?

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
7 hours ago, Arvedis said:

But you are not part of the top 25 influencers according to the latest stats.

Never had the ego for it for some reason, I'm even a rotten marketer when it comes to my own book.

20 minutes ago, Believer57 said:

I think BRB needs to stop visiting Dread Central. :nono:

Why?  It was one of the first two places to feature this story.  Travel Channel didn't release it until later.