Expedition Bigfoot claims to have found unknown primate eDNA

BlackRockBigfoot

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

I was wondering why Miroslava Munguia Ramos was the one quoted on the DNA results and not a geneticist (PhD) or department head (PhD). I mean, potentially a huge discovery like this? I'm not belitting her as the "spokesperson" here, but I am curious why she was the one who evidently was given the results which obviously came out of UC Santa Cruz. UCSC also has what looks to be vibrant Citizen Science opportunities through their CALeEDNA program where they supply all equipment for DNA sampling in the field for free along with testing in their labs, also for free.

So. What? No one wanted their name in this? Ms. Ramos received her Bachelor of Science degree in 2019, so she is credentialed but I'm still not understanding this much.

Edited by hiflier

3 hours ago, hiflier said:

I was wondering why Miroslava Munguia Ramos was the one quoted on the DNA results and not a geneticist (PhD) or department head (PhD). I mean, potentially a huge discovery like this? I'm not belitting her as the "spokesperson" here, but I am curious why she was the one who evidently was given the results which obviously came out of UC Santa Cruz. UCSC also has what looks to be vibrant Citizen Science opportunities through their CALeEDNA program where they supply all equipment for DNA sampling in the field for free along with testing in their labs, also for free.

So. What? No one wanted their name in this? Ms. Ramos received her Bachelor of Science degree in 2019, so she is credentialed but I'm still not understanding this much.

It's because nothing has been done other than lab results. The person quoted is just communicating with the show informally by email. It's not a scientific report. 

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
22 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

It's because nothing has been done other than lab results.

OTHER THAN LAB RESULTS? That would seem pretty important news with a potential scientific shakeup even if it is 'merely' revealing report results. So are you saying no paper and so no one with any clout is making themselves available? The paper and peer review process could take up to two years. But we get to have a sneak preview in an email from a post grad?

My guess? it leaves room for a PhD to step in and say that what has been reported was in error, and which just may sink Ms. Ramos's career.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

It definitely seems like a leak, where it originated, I would have no idea.  But I think it was a really bad press release by the show. The burden should be on them to at least be forthcoming. Unfortunately, they are not in the business of science, just entertainment so this is all a smoke blowing exercise.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:37 PM, Believer57 said:

Never mind. Epic fail on my humor again. :blush:

That's ok, co-spammer.  You tried.

Seriously, though.  I usually go to Dread Central for horror news, but they were one of the first couple to carry the story. 

You no like Dread Central?

22 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

You no like Dread Central?

I never even heard of it. Darn it Jim, I'm an Engineer, not a horror savant! Since I will never make it as a co-host with my offbeat humor, I'm glad just to be a co-spammer. :)

Cheers!

• Haha 3

• Sésquac
BFF Donor
On 3/6/2021 at 3:36 PM, Arvedis said:

Unfortunately, they are not in the business of science, just entertainment so this is all a smoke blowing exercise.

I strongly disagree.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

You know, I'm not surprised by the down vote. It's soooo much easier to do that than to engage the conversation, or think of a way to move it forward. Or even ask WHY I disagree. I am far, far ahead of the curve on this subject. You have no idea. But for you, it's too late, and so you'll get no answers from me.

On 3/9/2021 at 4:00 PM, hiflier said:

You know, I'm not surprised by the down vote. It's soooo much easier to do that than to engage the conversation, or think of a way to move it forward. Or even ask WHY I disagree. I am far, far ahead of the curve on this subject. You have no idea. But for you, it's too late, and so you'll get no answers from me.

You are ahead of the curve on genetics? Are you a citizen scientist or have a background in the bio sciences? There is a big gap between valid scientific efforts to interpret an unknown bipedal species and what is interpreted by citizen science

It's easy to come up with our own theories on any number of subjects. It's even easier to convince ourselves our theories have merit. To convince outside parties, such as bio science and other scientific areas of our respective theories, is not something we are good at in bigfootery. Those citizen scientists who take the leap, always get smacked down. That's how all of this plays out. We can all be king of our own kingdom and then king of citizen science for a day until someone with knowledge we do not have, crashes the party.

That's the good scenario. The worse scenario is the bigfootery trolls come out of the woodwork and lay waste to everything. That's the aftermath of ketchum, who seems to have taken the full brunt of the internet's wrath. And it will happen to anyone who thinks they can overturn the applecart.

Edited by Arvedis

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

Never said my "curve" was in genetics, though I have a very good understanding of what discovery would genetically need and in what capacity. And only a credentialed scientist in whatever field can tell a Citizen Scientist whether or not they may, or may not, have overturned ANY apple carts. So a good Citizen Scientist doesn't interpret the data but instead, works with scientists wherever possible who are educated in ascertaining the quality of any data.

44 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

To convince outside parties, such as bio science and other scientific areas of our respective theories, is not something we are good at in bigfootery

Not out to convince science of anything, but you're right, we're not that good at it.                                                                                                         

It seems like whenever science shows partial interest, they take a quick step backwards, "nothing to see here" exhale of relief.

• Sésquac
BFF Donor

When looking at the bigger picture regarding discovery? I'm not the least bit surprised by that. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The road to Sasquatch provenance is not for the faint of heart.

Edited by hiflier

This was pretty good. It's only 30 minutes or so.  Here are some bookmarked highlights for faster browsing:

approx 7:00 - mention of unexplained events in the field but no specifics

approx 10:30 - background on the tree structures found

approx 13:20 - edna testing

approx 17:30 - lab reactions

approx 29: - the long road to scientific acknowledgement

Edited by Arvedis
  • Thanks 2

The things I said in the other thread do not even reflect what has been said on this you tube video. It reflects what I have observed out in the field in my own personal research. They are just confirming what most have been saying about these creatures. The only thing is that they are backing it up with scientific evidence along with a show meant for entertainment. I am not sure if it is about ratings now. I am thinking that it now more about proving it to them selves as well as to the audience who have been watching the show. As far as Dr. Mireya Mayor it might be more towards her peers and the science world. She seems to be putting it on the line with these creatures.

I hope that it goes well and does not go into the way that others have traveled. where it just goes cold, or the Gov shuts them down when they get to close they do not want them to know.. The woo part of these creatures really get your head spinning.  When it gets to that point they really need to stop and step back and take another approach. But I am sure that this is not going to be the last season of Expedition Bigfoot.

I still do not understand allot about the DNA they gathered or about what she was talking about. I mean she said that if they had a hundred pairs of what in the DNA the sample would not have mattered. But since it had thousands it was worth looking into it and keeping the sample. But yet not enough to confirm it's existence. But she does say that she does not want one killed. But down the road that may change her mind. When they get on your scent they are on you. But like I have said they bring back flash backs for me. All they have to do is stay in camp it will be my life all over again. It is when the forest starts to turn into a jungle and you hear them screaming screaming at you real close.  Yea! that's what I am waiting for. A few grunts ,no big deal. Snorts there and there still no big deal. But load monkey calls at night screaming at you from the brush. Well you know where I am going with this.

If I had this or even knew about this EDNA back then it would have been great. We could of had some thing from Michigan that is migrating through the middle of the mitten down into Ohio and who knows where then. But EDNA is making a difference to understanding this creature. It may even give us and understanding of it's behavior and why it may patrol in groups, or why they may not be alone. Even how one may save another one from getting caught by making noise and getting attention  to take attention of the one being watched. Sneaky big devils, right !   

• Upvote 1