Hulu Documentary "Sasquatch" including EW writeup

Ronnie Bass

Looks pretty darn interesting, just wonder how much is fact and the rest speculation:

Here is the writeup on EW, which tells me its got a good chance to attract many who haven't thought much about Bigfoot but love a good horror story, EW + Hulu might give this story legs and also a quite bit of controversy of a murdering Sasquatch:

Many people are skeptical enough of Bigfoot's existence, but what about a murderous Bigfoot who tore three men limb from limb?

Journalist David Holthouse calls the urban legend "the craziest story I've heard heard," and he's just crazy enough to look into whether the tale actually happened in Hulu's Sasquatch, as seen in the exclusive trailer above.

Directed by Joshua Rofé (Lorena) and executive produced by Steven Berger and the Duplass Brothers, the three-part docuseries is a look at the infamous Emerald Triangle in Northern California — one of the largest cannabis growing regions that also holds the highest missing persons and murder rate in the state. Sasquatch goes behind Holthouse's investigation into a bizarre triple homicide said to be the work of the deadly and elusive Sasquatch.

LINK: https://ew.com/tv/sasquatch-bigfoot-murdered-3-guys-dope-farm/

Edited by Ronnie Bass
  • Upvote 3

I have it marked on my calendar!  I wonder if they're going to go the Sasquatch route or the grower route in trying to identify the 'who' behind the killings.

Here is an interview of the film director (Joshua Rofe).

He provides some background on how the documentary evolved and developed.

He provides some clues at the end of the interview on where it leads.

I will like to learn more about the emerald triangle sub-culture and the dangers within the national forests in that 3 county area (Humboldt, Trinity, and Mendocino).

I fear more running into dangerous humans doing illegal things than sasquatch in northern CA.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok.  I watched this documentary tonight.  

Semi-spoilers from this point on.

I will try to keep my observations on this film’s social commentary as apolitical as possible here.

That being said, the documentary was kind of interesting at first, and then completely sucked.  Typical agenda driven Hulu programming.  I canceled my subscription months ago, but signed up for a free week to watch this.

The beginning where the reporter recounts his tale of hearing pot growers report the death of 3 people at the hands of Bigfoot is pretty neat.  However, it swiftly turns into typical ‘man is the real monster’ tripe.  Oh, and apparently violent Mexican pot growers are ok because they are just trying to support their families, but Caucasian pot growers are racist thugs.  The movie swiftly moves away from Bigfoot as the culprit to the idea that the murders were committed due to racism.

The one similarity to regular Bigfoot documentaries that this film retains throughout its entirety is the exaggeration of evidence and danger.  Simply put, the director interviews and speaks to extremely low level people in the pot trade...if they are even involved with it at all.  I find the theory of Bigfoot murdering 3 migrant workers more realistic than the idea that this guy was openly going into grow areas questioning growers about several unsolved decades old multiple murders.  I don’t for one second believe that he did this.  

The reporter apparently has a history of going deep into various gangs to compile stories, but now I don’t believe his alleged history either after seeing this film.  

Simply put, the way that he is going around trying to get people to talk about unsolved murders and even making veiled accusations about various levels of involvement...no one involved with the black market grow operations of Northern California would be willing to speak with this guy.  End of story.  

• Upvote 2

BRB saved the long posting I was formulating. I watched all three episodes, and after about the first half hour of the first episode, straight downhill. No interesting turns, vistas, nor insight.

I'm not a fan of the "true crime" genre, and if you are, your mileage may vary, a little. Sasquatch is a MacGuffin, here.

It sounds like it turned out to be exactly like all the rest of the Bigfoot shows out there. Thank you guys for saving me a waste of my time.🤙🏽

• Haha 1

Poor Bobo kicking off as his interview was 'edited' in a non flattering way. Take the cheque Bobo and don't sweat it. 

I watched the first couple of episodes. So far, rumors and no evidence. I get sucked in by all of these type shows so, if it's a waste of time, it's a waste of time about one of my favorite subjects. 

So, I like the "who done it" kinda true crime shows so I watched the whole thing. I wish they hadn't tried to do the weaving of actual Sasquatch stuff into this project. It really didnt make sense except for an attempt at being "artistic". from Bob to Bobo having their interviews edited to fit a narritive, to actual faces in the community showing up to be interviewed about bigfoot for a show that actually had nothing to do with bigfoot. Made about as much sense  as selling Brussels sprouts at a candy shop. The true crime story by itself could have sold the bill to producers, its a hot market. Why weave all these well known folks into the project for nothing? Apparantly the whole thing was very misleading even from the interviewees standpoints as well.

5 hours ago, Skinwalker13 said:

So, I like the "who done it" kinda true crime shows so I watched the whole thing. I wish they hadn't tried to do the weaving of actual Sasquatch stuff into this project. It really didnt make sense except for an attempt at being "artistic". from Bob to Bobo having their interviews edited to fit a narritive, to actual faces in the community showing up to be interviewed about bigfoot for a show that actually had nothing to do with bigfoot. Made about as much sense  as selling Brussels sprouts at a candy shop. The true crime story by itself could have sold the bill to producers, its a hot market. Why weave all these well known folks into the project for nothing? Apparantly the whole thing was very misleading even from the interviewees standpoints as well.

MacGuffin

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In fiction, a MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin) is an object, device, or event that is necessary to the plot and the motivation of the characters, but insignificant, unimportant, or irrelevant in itself.The term was originated by Angus MacPhail for film,[2] adopted by Alfred Hitchcock,and later extended to a similar device in other fiction.[4]

The MacGuffin technique is common in films, especially thrillers. Usually, the MacGuffin is revealed in the first act, and thereafter declines in importance. It can reappear at the climax of the story but may actually be forgotten by the end of the story. Multiple MacGuffins are sometimes derisively identified as plot coupons.

So...

You are ruthless and smart enough to commit several mass murders spanning decades without being prosecuted... but, you have no problem talking to an investigative reporter who is looking into one of those murders?  

Also, people are apparently terrified of you enough that they are unwilling to tell the authorities the details of your murders in order to get out of trouble themselves, but will talk to that reporter as long as he promises to blur their faces out?  

I think that the Bigfoot interviewees were the most authentic part of the film.