Dan inject biopsy gun

norseman

dartinject.JPG

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2314459916300412

https://daninjectdartguns.com/product/im-rifle/

Price is kinda ridiculous. But this is what the pros use. 75 yard effective range.

You can get biopsy darts, tranquilizer darts and even radio telemetry darts.

Yes. Your still shooting the creature. But it will be unharmed. Highly advise having a real rifle as back up. 

This setup would produce real results using a direct approach that beats taking a picture. 

• Upvote 2

• gigantor featured this topic
BFF Donor

I believe that there was a contest several years ago by an entertainment company that offered something like $100K for the design and build of a dart specifically to capture a chunk of Sasquatch flesh. I think there was a winner but I have not read anything about deployment/success/failure.  Anyone remember the contest?

The dart guns are gas powered. Those using firearms that use chemically propelled rounds have not released any positive results to the public.  A dart gun has high risk. 3 persons with back up weapons would be needed. It is not the angry Sasquatch that has been targeted. It is the 2 Sasquatch  that are flanking the shooters. Plus, if the plan is to 'tranq' one, how will you transport it?  Under-dosing might be painful.  I operate on the belief that where you see one, there are 3.

Best of luck with dart weapons. The procedure is dangerous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

I believe that there was a contest several years ago by an entertainment company that offered something like $100K for the design and build of a dart specifically to capture a chunk of Sasquatch flesh. I think there was a winner but I have not read anything about deployment/success/failure.  Anyone remember the contest?

The dart guns are gas powered. Those using firearms that use chemically propelled rounds have not released any positive results to the public.  A dart gun has high risk. 3 persons with back up weapons would be needed. It is not the angry Sasquatch that has been targeted. It is the 2 Sasquatch  that are flanking the shooters. Plus, if the plan is to 'tranq' one, how will you transport it?  Under-dosing might be painful.  I operate on the belief that where you see one, there are 3.

Best of luck with dart weapons. The procedure is dangerous.

Absolutely agreed. So is collecting a type specimen.

But we can continue sitting in the dark spinning our wheels or we can become proactive in real discovery.

I’m pro kill. Many are not. So this is plan B. A biopsy dart will do. A slam dunk DNA sample. Tranquilizing it can be left to the scientific professionals after discovery. Or whatever it is they are gonna do.

You shoot, you follow and you retrieve a big pink dart off the ground, you get out alive..... simple.😜

• Upvote 1

BFF Donor
14 hours ago, norseman said:

You shoot, you follow and you retrieve a big pink dart off the ground, you get out alive..... simple.😜

Yeah. What could go wrong? :) It'll be fun, they said.

I do like this idea though. But packing around a rifle in some of the places we go is hard. I see Dan Inject has takedown models as well. Perhaps one of those would be better suited. They have blowguns, too, with which I am still fairly proficient with (ah the joys of youth). Pipe dream though, affordability-wise at least for me.

I don't suppose there is something that would pull the dart out making retrieval easier. Like a small biopsy-taking harpoon that has a kevlar line attached back to the firing weapon. The idea of following an enraged sasquatch back into the deep woods is a truly frightening proposition. It may be easier to just make a DNA trap that will take a sample or three when stepped on, and come back for it later. 

• Upvote 1

How about super gluing some glass shards to a paper plate on which one has placed syrup coated pancakes and collecting the bloody plate for DNA testing after the habituated Sasquatch licks the syrup from the plate as she has done numerous times before?

(Anyone up to date on published information would be aware IT HAS BEEN DONE!)

33 minutes ago, 9-dot said:

How about super gluing some glass shards to a paper plate on which one has placed syrup coated pancakes and collecting the bloody plate for DNA testing after the habituated Sasquatch licks the syrup from the plate as she has done numerous times before?

(Anyone up to date on published information would be aware IT HAS BEEN DONE!)

except how do you know it wasnt a bear or a raccoon?

Was thinking about how we can be more proactive.

3 hours ago, NorthWind said:

Yeah. What could go wrong? :) It'll be fun, they said.

I do like this idea though. But packing around a rifle in some of the places we go is hard. I see Dan Inject has takedown models as well. Perhaps one of those would be better suited. They have blowguns, too, with which I am still fairly proficient with (ah the joys of youth). Pipe dream though, affordability-wise at least for me.

I don't suppose there is something that would pull the dart out making retrieval easier. Like a small biopsy-taking harpoon that has a kevlar line attached back to the firing weapon. The idea of following an enraged sasquatch back into the deep woods is a truly frightening proposition. It may be easier to just make a DNA trap that will take a sample or three when stepped on, and come back for it later. 

That model has 75 yard range. Which is decent in thick forest. Not sure what the range is with a blowgun. But I bet its half that. So you have to ask yourself how close do you wanna be?

BFF Donor
21 hours ago, norseman said:

Are there any other colors available besides pink?   Biopsy darts are designed to fall out after sampling. Tranquilizer darts need to stay in.  The study that has a link in the 1st post deals with shooting at standing, stationary animals and a carcass.  Optimum range for success is 20 meters.  They shoot at animals that do not have hands to remove a tranq dart.  The rifle approach has a high cost. I have not noticed any posts on the use of crossbows. A lot less money and you could get the Medieval style, wear chain male, ride a horse and look cool. 

A thread was started in 2012 titled 'The Kill Club'.  What has changed?  There are some interesting posts around 2014--2015--2016. Darts, GPS tracking are commented on.  Hash and re-hash.  I am not aware of any published details on 'meat samples'. That excludes hoaxes too.  Equipment has been barbed wire, glass and bear boards to name a couple. Identification of the meat/blood source can be difficult.  For GPS tracking, the 'cocklebur' attachment fixture has been used.

Using firearms/crossbows/blow guns in a forest environment is difficult. Western Washington is very different than the forests of Eastern Washington.  A clean shot can be impossible.

Shoot through this............

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

Actually? They are not. Same problem.

And yet every year? Bow hunters take Elk, Deer and Bear in both forests.

I’ve opted to use a real rifle. But some people simply will not. So a biopsy dart is a better bet than a camera.

Also, I’ve been told that people don’t like to reread through old threads. So I started this one, in this section.

74D081B1-4907-4F3E-86DA-08D23D2AF15B.jpeg

006FCF5A-ECCA-420D-8AC4-1A2E7D389359.jpeg

2BF9263D-CF4B-48B2-917B-444AE4CE482E.jpeg

CB9DDEE5-E84E-44FA-B395-0758235AB088.jpeg

BFF Donor

I was pondering, pre-coffee, about transmitters. If one can be shot from a paintball gun loaded with something really sticky, pine resin or the like, coupled with a small transmitter, like the ones here on this falconry page: https://www.mikesfalconry.com/product-category/radio-telemetry/ 

But they certainly are not cheap and disposable. I guess if you have one in range it may be better to just get the DNA.

Maybe I need to go get coffee.

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

I was pondering, pre-coffee, about transmitters. If one can be shot from a paintball gun loaded with something really sticky, pine resin or the like, coupled with a small transmitter, like the ones here on this falconry page: https://www.mikesfalconry.com/product-category/radio-telemetry/ 

But they certainly are not cheap and disposable. I guess if you have one in range it may be better to just get the DNA.

Maybe I need to go get coffee.

I think at this stage of the game? Proof is more important. Correct. All this will follow. Armies of biologists tracking them seasonally, etc.

If some one can place a RFID chip that is small enough under the skin that would be good to track. Now I am talking about darting one under it's skin. IF you either had a blow gun, a air rifle, or even a bow/crossbow. Some thing that could be shot under it's skin. It does not matter if the animal knows it was shot with some thing. What matters is that the RFID is under it's sink and in it's flesh. As far as the creature is concern it has been shot.

Now you have a tool to track the creature with a radio. As long as the RFID is in it's flesh and sending a signal you should be able to track it. Just like what they did in that place where Bibto has been having some luck with that tracker, Well this should be the same except you will know that it is a real creature. Question is: how brave are you willing to follow the creature the same day/night you shoot this thing. Either way you are going to get DNA off the dart or what ever you are using. Since these things do bleed.

1 hour ago, ShadowBorn said:

If some one can place a RFID chip that is small enough under the skin that would be good to track. Now I am talking about darting one under it's skin. IF you either had a blow gun, a air rifle, or even a bow/crossbow. Some thing that could be shot under it's skin. It does not matter if the animal knows it was shot with some thing. What matters is that the RFID is under it's sink and in it's flesh. As far as the creature is concern it has been shot.

Now you have a tool to track the creature with a radio. As long as the RFID is in it's flesh and sending a signal you should be able to track it. Just like what they did in that place where Bibto has been having some luck with that tracker, Well this should be the same except you will know that it is a real creature. Question is: how brave are you willing to follow the creature the same day/night you shoot this thing. Either way you are going to get DNA off the dart or what ever you are using. Since these things do bleed.

I thought that too. But upon further investigation that technology is only for very close range scanning. Like a lost dog being scanned at a vet clinic. Biologists still use yagi RF technology. Which is too big for a dart. You must tranq the animal and then collar it.

image.jpeg

Environmental DNA (eDNA) Detection Probability Is Influenced by Seasonal Activity of Organisms (plos.org)

Dr. Mark Evans got eDNA in Nepal which proved to be 99% human (on the scale of a chimp being 98%).

Even if you had a bigfoot, cold on a slab, they are going to extract DNA to understand WHAT IT IS, in other words, its phylogenetic relationship to humans and other animals.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:17 PM, norseman said:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2314459916300412

https://daninjectdartguns.com/product/im-rifle/

Price is kinda ridiculous. But this is what the pros use. 75 yard effective range.

You can get biopsy darts, tranquilizer darts and even radio telemetry darts.

Yes. Your still shooting the creature. But it will be unharmed. Highly advise having a real rifle as back up. 

This setup would produce real results using a direct approach that beats taking a picture. 

I looked into one of those tranquilizer gun packages before kind of on a lark... But, the tranquilizing agent (M99) that would probably work best was going to be difficult at best to procure...and that's with having a friend who is a veterinarian who was kind of interested in the topic.  

I honestly never looked at the biopsy guns.  Neat.

• Upvote 1