Not getting lost at night

wiiawiwb

A while ago, I was with a friend and we were out at night doing our sasquatching. We had moved about a mile away from our camp stopping for minutes at a time and listening. At one point we heard light movement in the woods and when it stopped, we crept toward it with our flashlights on a few lumens to see what we were stepping on. When we got close to where we thought it was, it took off and we pursued.  Turns, out it was a deer but, when it was over, we had moved all over the place in pursuit.

Now, we were "somewhere" in the woods at night with everything looking the same and not confident what direction we were before the chase.  Eventually, we found our way out and would have been fine if we had waited until dawn. 

I remembered a guy I used to go sasquatching with who used reflective thumbtacks. He would put them on trees every so often as we moved about at night. They work. Nowadays, they have much better options and I use a reflective marker called Firetacks.  You push them into a tree and they can be seen at a good distance and really glow when your flashlight hits them. 

The achilles heel of thumbtacks was you had to be nearly 180 degrees to see it.  The Firetacks come in a square and pyramidal shape and can be seen at many angles.  I use both although I find the pyramidal provides the greatest angle of visibility.  The Compay also offers a reflective strip that you can velcro around a branch that works very well too.

If you do night opts, and are looking for a way to mark your path, it's a good option.

https://firetacks.com/collections/firetacks/products/3d-pyramid-firetacks

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

A while ago, I was with a friend and we were out at night doing our sasquatching. We had moved about a mile away from our camp stopping for minutes at a time and listening. At one point we heard light movement in the woods and when it stopped, we crept toward it with our flashlights on a few lumens to see what we were stepping on. When we got close to where we thought it was, it took off and we pursued.  Turns, out it was a deer but, when it was over, we had moved all over the place in pursuit.

Now, we were "somewhere" in the woods at night with everything looking the same and not confident what direction we were before the chase.  Eventually, we found our way out and would have been fine if we had waited until dawn. 

I remembered a guy I used to go sasquatching with who used reflective thumbtacks. He would put them on trees every so often as we moved about at night. They work. Nowadays, they have much better options and I use a reflective marker called Firetacks.  You push them into a tree and they can be seen at a good distance and really glow when your flashlight hits them. 

The achilles heel of thumbtacks was you had to be nearly 180 degrees to see it.  The Firetacks come in a square and pyramidal shape and can be seen at many angles.  I use both although I find the pyramidal provides the greatest angle of visibility.  The Compay also offers a reflective strip that you can velcro around a branch that works very well too.

If you do night opts, and are looking for a way to mark your path, it's a good option.

https://firetacks.com/collections/firetacks/products/3d-pyramid-firetacks

Those look like they would work much better than the HME reflecting tacks that I have see in the past.  

When we are moving at night, we keep our Garmin 64st running.  We also wear Instinct watches with the gps track enabled.  Electronics are untrustworthy, though.  These pyramid markers look great.

I just lick pine trees at night and that tells me which way north is. The pitch is sweeter on the north side of the tree. Ole Indian trick!

For some reason I keep ending up in Canada in the morning... I can’t figure it out. The Mounties are not amused!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, norseman said:

I just lick pine trees at night and that tells me which way north is. The pitch is sweeter on the north side of the tree. Ole Indian trick!

For some reason I keep ending up in Canada in the morning... I can’t figure it out. The Mounties are not amused!

Hahahaha!

I am out of reactions, but that is hilarious.

I have an arsenal of old Indian trick pranks that I play on people in the woods... I need to add this one to it.  See if I can get someone to lick some pine trees.

10 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Hahahaha!

I am out of reactions, but that is hilarious.

I have an arsenal of old Indian trick pranks that I play on people in the woods... I need to add this one to it.  See if I can get someone to lick some pine trees.

LOL! Me too... all out.

We used to take kids snipe hunting all the time! Fun! Fun!

20 minutes ago, norseman said:

LOL! Me too... all out.

We used to take kids snipe hunting all the time! Fun! Fun!

My poor gf has been on the receiving end of a couple of 'old Indian tricks'.  When she hears those words nowadays she assumes s defensive posture.

At night I just keep going in circles and ending up in the same place i began. But what I usually do is mark my camp site on my GPS device and will leave it off until I need to go back to camp. Then I 'll turn it on get a reading on my GPS and mark it grab my compass and ride the compass back on that reading. turn the GPS off and keep going on my compass and turn the GPS every so often. If worst comes to worst I stay the night out in the woods and wait till day light to get back to camp. So yes I carry my back pack with things I will need in case that happens. But so far it has not happen yet ! Knock on wood. But being prepared for the worst is always best and nothing wrong with it. No matter where you are going.

I learned my lesson in a small piece of hunting land where I really got lost. Being that I am diabetic my sugar level went very low and I thought I knew where i was going. Did not bring nothing with me but my bow. The only thing that save me was my memory of the map that I saw twice of this piece of land. It had a creek running west and east and the road was north of the creek. As soon as I seen that creek I knew where to go. As it turns out there was a house to the west as i walked north. That was the first place I walked too since it was an emergency. My sugar level was at 60 and going lower. I was able to get some candy and my level back up and walk back to my truck. Since then I never leave my truck or camp without a back pack with all my things that I would need in a emergency. So always go prepared where ever you go on a hike.

Preparation and anticipation can fend off problems before they occur.  Many of us have talked about having a sasquatch come to you. We can chase it but in the end they are the decision makers.

We've all heard about red eyeshine and I've experienced it twice. One thought was to use a corrider of reflective Firetacks to attract and hopefully guide a sasquatch toward me. It's probably wishful thinking but why not try something new?

• Upvote 1