British Bigfoot - Fact or Folly?

MarkGlasgow

New YouTube podcast/documentary:

British Bigfoot - Fact or Folly?

As someone who has been fascinated with the subject since a kid, but having the misfortune to have been born in the UK. It's only right I tackle the British BF subject head on. 

This is the 2nd episode on my new channel Heightened Curiosity. Expect more BF related content coming soon. 

Edited by MarkGlasgow
  • Upvote 4

I’ve never been. But I feel as if every stone on that island has been flipped. 

I would be curious of any old legends though. After all the oldest story in the English language is Beowulf!

• Upvote 1

In the UK some folks have difficulty  grasping what real wilderness is. I think you need to go to the States and Canada just to appreciate the sheer vastness in comparison to the British Isles. We have patches of possible habitat and I cover these in the doc but there is a distinct lack of lore or sightings.

Yes, we have the Green Man, the Woodwose and the Grey Man legends here in UK. The Woodwose tales sound as if they do refer a genuine hairy wild man. Quite possible it thrived here in ancient times, but the Scottish Highlands lost bears in the 6th century due to hunting and loss of habitat. Possible it wasn't the only species picked off around or before that time.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

BFF Donor
On 4/16/2021 at 3:24 PM, norseman said:

After all the oldest story in the English language is Beowulf!

Maybe translated from German. I am not sure.  Beowulf was a bad ass. He dealt with air creatures in the way of 'the long gliders' ( maybe pterodactyls? ), sea creatures and "Grendel".

We need more dragons.

It was written in what would become known as England, but the people and places it describes are based on Scandinavian and Germanic people and places. (I can't remember how forested the British Isles would have been then, but probably much less tree coverage than on the continent)

Not a chance of BF here in the UK, obviously got our fare share of loons though,  

• Upvote 1

Agreed, no way there's Bigfoot is here in the UK. 

Even most of those who are the forefront of Cryptozoology in the UK (Andy McGrath, Chris Turner...etc) have concluded there's no chance of Bigfoot surviving here. 

I was waiting for Bobby O to chime in.

I have heard him say several times that there are no man apes in his  country. 

I understand why that is .

Of course in my opinion there are none in any country. If they are here, Having spent a lot of time in the PNW with family members who insist they are real. 

That seems be the ideal area. 

1 hour ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I was waiting for Bobby O to chime in.

I have heard him say several times that there are no man apes in his  country. 

I understand why that is .

Of course in my opinion there are none in any country. If they are here, Having spent a lot of time in the PNW with family members who insist they are real. 

That seems be the ideal area. 

What about Siberia or SE Asia or Australia?

I mean I like our PAC NW. But we didn’t just did up two new species of hominids who were living in Asia recently. (Hobbits Flores and Luzon)

As a betting man I would put money on Asia as turning up something that science hasn’t discovered.

• Upvote 1

If the medieval stories of the Wudewase and Wildmen are any indication than the British Isles may have been home to ape-like hominids until fairly recently.

In the 21st century on the other hand, I would wager to say no, that there are not any Bigfoot-like creatures currently inhabiting the UK. Not enough wild areas left to support a breeding population of large, undiscovered primates.

Edited by Wooly Booger

SSR Team
On 4/16/2021 at 11:24 PM, norseman said:

I’ve never been. But I feel as if every stone on that island has been flipped. 

I would be curious of any old legends though. After all the oldest story in the English language is Beowulf!

Flipped, flipped and then flipped again.

And then flipped again for good measure..;)

There is nowhere near enough habitat on these Isles to sustain a healthy, breeding population of undiscovered upright primates.

Anyone who suggests otherwise should be treated with errrrr extreme caution. :)

• Upvote 2

SSR Team
14 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

In the 21st century on the other hand, I would wager to say no, that there are not any Bigfoot-like creatures currently inhabiting the UK. Not enough wild areas left to support a breeding population of large, undiscovered primates.

I'd be interested to see if there were any in the first place let alone now.

Forest coverage here is around the 13% mark of land all coverage and has only ever been less, and much less than that at times (think what the Royal Navy used to do and how), in the last 1,000 years.