British Bigfoot - Fact or Folly?

MarkGlasgow

On 5/9/2021 at 5:50 PM, JKH said:

I agree with those points, but vary in thinking that there's a lot of Britain still wild enough for these critters. Ideas like their habitat(s) being only large forests, mountains, and NW wilderness are outdated. Plenty of evidence supports their presence in deserts, prairies, urban green spaces, etc.

I hadn't paid much attention, honestly, but recently by accident happened across these vids. I must say that Ms. Hatswell is very interesting to listen to and seems to have some genuine experience with the subject that would be hard to fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgSFbq0SI4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUmWgS-agUI

Hatswell encountered a massive 7fr Sasquatch (another case covered in the vid) in her local urban park. Just 3 miles as the crow flies from Manchester city centre. It's one of the most unlikely encounters I've ever come across ever.

As with a few other (in)famous UK sightings the witness did not report until a certain bigfoot TV show was capturing imaginations, quite literally, this side of the pond.

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2021 at 6:39 PM, Wooly Booger said:

Doing some research, apparently the Grendel monster had its origins in Germanic and Scandinavian legends of trolls.  These descriptions certainly match what we are used to from Bigfoot reports.  Yes, it is seeming more and more likely that the historic range of these creatures was once much larger than it is today.  Perhaps stretching from northern Europe across Russia and into North America. 

You would think northern Scandinavia would be a real possibility as an environment that could have supported these creatures. Northern Sweden is still very, very sparsely inhabited even today with lots of lakes, forests, reindeer, moose and so on. If someone hypothesised them living there in the past I think that would be plausible. I know if no sightings of anything in the modern era though.........

Edited to add: I've just searched and there does seem to be a log of Scandinavian Bigfoot sightings after all 😁😁

Edited by Celtic Raider

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2021 at 3:18 AM, Celtic Raider said:

You would think northern Scandinavia would be a real possibility as an environment that could have supported these creatures. Northern Sweden is still very, very sparsely inhabited even today with lots of lakes, forests, reindeer, moose and so on. If someone hypothesised them living there in the past I think that would be plausible. I know if no sightings of anything in the modern era though.........

Edited to add: I've just searched and there does seem to be a log of Scandinavian Bigfoot sightings after all 😁😁

I think it is likely that Bigfoot-like creatures inhabit northern Scandinavia. But as far as Bigfoot in Britain? I think that is impossible in the 21st century. The British Isles are too densely populated, every square inch of territory has been explored and documented, and there are few wild areas left and none that are capable of supporting a healthy breeding population of large omnivorous primates. 

I think it is possible that such creatures inhabited the British Isles centuries ago, as evidenced by medieval legends of the Wudewase and giants, but in the 21st century I don't think it is possible. 

Edited by Wooly Booger
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 11:03 PM, MarkGlasgow said:

Andy McGrath is a huge propenent of UK Bigfoot. His own up close and personal sighting of a massive bigfoot in a Surrey park features in this video. 

Then, as far as I'm aware, it does so incorrectly. Andy was misreported as the witness of the Boxhill Bigfoot in an article in a Surrey local paper, which was then picked up by the Star. He's addressed the error several times.

He's also reeled back massively on the possibility of a British bigfoot. He did a video somewhere relatively recently (it was not long after after his appearance of Cliff & Bobo's podcast if I remember rightly) where he said he's cooled on the idea and is no longer a "believer".

Extremely Unlikely is the nice wording to this. No, there is no Bigfoot in Britain.

3 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

Extremely Unlikely is the nice wording to this. No, there is no Bigfoot in Britain.

Agreed. The British Isles are too densely populated and have too few wild areas left to support a species of unknown bipedal primate.  I think it may have been possible in the ancient past for Bigfoot-like creatures to live there, just consider all of the legends of giants and wildmen of yore. But in the 21st century, it is impossible IMO. 

• Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

Agreed. The British Isles are too densely populated and have too few wild areas left to support a species of unknown bipedal primate.  I think it may have been possible in the ancient past for Bigfoot-like creatures to live there, just consider all of the legends of giants and wildmen of yore. But in the 21st century, it is impossible IMO. 

dense populated for far too long as well. There's just no place for the poor fella to hide there. Nordic areas of Europe maybe, UK..... nopers...

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 3:05 PM, Taps said:

Then, as far as I'm aware, it does so incorrectly. Andy was misreported as the witness of the Boxhill Bigfoot in an article in a Surrey local paper, which was then picked up by the Star. He's addressed the error several times.

He's also reeled back massively on the possibility of a British bigfoot. He did a video somewhere relatively recently (it was not long after after his appearance of Cliff & Bobo's podcast if I remember rightly) where he said he's cooled on the idea and is no longer a "believer".

Thanks for the update. 

Very odd indeed. McGrath spent considerable time and effort promoting UK Bigfoot reality. We had a few exchanges in this regard via social media. We didn't see eye to eye on this topic as you can imagine.

Strange he's decided to ditch a view he was so invested in almost overnight but hey nothing much about this field and it's inhabitants suprise me much these days.

13 hours ago, MarkGlasgow said:

Thanks for the update. 

Very odd indeed. McGrath spent considerable time and effort promoting UK Bigfoot reality. We had a few exchanges in this regard via social media. We didn't see eye to eye on this topic as you can imagine.

Strange he's decided to ditch a view he was so invested in almost overnight but hey nothing much about this field and it's inhabitants suprise me much these days.

Except theres no chance in hell of there being a British Bigfoot. Its simply logistically impossible.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if you are aware of the Satras in Scotland? Info found here:

page 28, bottom right
https://archive.org/details/historyofancient00macluoft/page/28/mode/2up

There's some other mention in there as well but it's been a long time since I've read it. I think there is even mention of the possible demise of Bigfoots in Caledonia due to a particularly bad few years of extreme cold, probably due to a comet strike or volcano eruption blocking out the sun for a while causing global freezing. If you can search the text for "satras" you should find it.

• Upvote 1

There used to be cave lions in England, granted they became extinct about the same time we started rummaging around over there.

But even today, around 2% of land in Britain is developed. Less land is developed than is washed by the tides. How's that for mind blowing.

57% is agricultural and only something like 35% is "natural" 

So 15ish times as much land is wild as is built up?

I'm not saying that it's home to a large bipedal creature. I'm saying Britain isn't a big parking lot.

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2021 at 3:39 PM, Wooly Booger said:

If the medieval stories of the Wudewase and Wildmen are any indication than the British Isles may have been home to ape-like hominids until fairly recently.

I'd agree with that. They must have been hunted to extinction, as in most if not all of Europe, but I'm sure they're elsewhere the further east and north you go.  Fascinating legends. OTOH, we kid ourselves if we think we know of everything that goes on in the world. It's a much stranger place out there than we have been lulled into believing. Not bigfoot... but other... things. 

• Upvote 1