Grizzly Attack

wiiawiwb

^^^^^ condiment spray.  The carrier for the irritant is vegetable oil. The spray is sensitive to wind patterns and temperature affects the propellant.  I have watched a territorial dispute full speed charge by an Alaskan Brown Bear directed towards another animal. Top speed is impressive while running straight.  You will not have any effect on a large charging animal. A little black bear? Perhaps. Purchase at your own risk. I am sure that a lot of bear spray and dingle bells have been sold.  There is that joke about identifying Grizzly scat.  The dingle bells smell like peppers.

• Haha 3

I have bear spray, and I carry it in my pack or vehicle. It's the first choice for curious bears. If he comes back, or if he introduces himself with teeth popping or full bore at you, spray isn't going to impress him or her.

• Upvote 1

I can't imagine for the life of me why someone in grizzly/brown bear territory wouldn't carry both bear spray and a firearm.

Antivenon isn't always quickly available and while it may help save a life many people have lasting effects of the cell and tissue damage done while waiting for the antivenon to arrive and take effect. 

In my case, I am always out of cell-phone range and if envenomated, I might have a several-hour hike to get to my car and then a road trip to the hospital. All-the-while the neurotoxins and hemotoxins are coursing through my veins and doing their damage.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, BobbyO said:

Give me the rattler all day, every day..;)

Those Grizzly's scare the absolute living daylights out of me and i do not trust them one little iota.

Yeah, I can kill a snake with a stick, don't think I could do that with a Grizz.

5 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

In my case, I am always out of cell-phone range and if envenomated, I might have a several-hour hike to get to my car and then a road trip to the hospital. All-the-while the neurotoxins and hemotoxins are coursing through my veins and doing their damage.

That's why I always wore snake leggings when I was surveying. One of our crew got struck one day, big ol' Copperhead. We were way the hell out in the woods and a long way from a hospital. Lucky he had on leggings too or or would have been too bad for him. Instead it was just a bad day for the snake.

16 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I can't imagine for the life of me why someone in grizzly/brown bear territory wouldn't carry both bear spray and a firearm.

Antivenon isn't always quickly available and while it may help save a life many people have lasting effects of the cell and tissue damage done while waiting for the antivenon to arrive and take effect. 

That’s my worry as well.

Copperheads  have been bad here the last few years 

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

I'd seriously consider getting a pair of Turtleskin gaiters and sturdy leather boots. You may already have the boots. I hate having to do it but if I get nailed by a rattler, and it takes 4-5 hours to get to the hospital, I might never be sasquatching again.  I might not be doing much except pushing up daisies.

A very small price, and little bit of an inconvenience, to keep your entire life from being inexorably altered forever.  That's from someone who has only worn lightweight trail runners all of his adult life. Now, I have burly leather boots which aren't a lot of fun but better than profound regrets over results I cannot undo.

https://turtleskin.com/default/outdoor-snake-protection/snakearmor-snake-protection.html

Their gaiters are very light and flexible and you feel like you're wearing normal gaiters.

I still have nightmares about the two instances last June finding myself in the strike zone. Recoiled and rattling. I could have gotten nailed but got lucky--and we all know that sooner, or later, lucks runs out.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'd seriously consider getting a pair of Turtleskin gaiters and sturdy leather boots. You may already have the boots. I hate having to do it but if I get nailed by a rattler, and it takes 4-5 hours to get to the hospital, I might never be sasquatching again.  I might not be doing much except pushing up daisies.

A very small price, and little bit of an inconvenience, to keep your entire life from being inexorably altered forever.  That's from someone who has only worn lightweight trail runners all of his adult life. Now, I have burly leather boots which aren't a lot of fun but better than profound regrets over results I cannot undo.

https://turtleskin.com/default/outdoor-snake-protection/snakearmor-snake-protection.html

Their gaiters are very light and flexible and you feel like you're wearing normal gaiters.

I still have nightmares about the two instances last June finding myself in the strike zone. Recoiled and rattling. I could have gotten nailed but got lucky--and we all know that sooner, or later, lucks runs out.

I was actually pricing out gaiters after my last post in this thread.  

These are the ones that you ended up going with?

Yes they are and I swear by them. Every one of my friends who go out in the woods with me have also gotten those gaiters. We're all pleased with them.

I decided to also get a pair of chaps from Turtleskin. I use them when I am poking around areas and going up and down terrain.  I take off the gaiters and put on the chaps. I've mentioned before I've been in contact with several herpetologists and they all said the only way a strike would occur above the knee is if: 1) The snake was above you as you ascended up a mountain or 2) You sit down on a log or rock.

BRB --I go out in woods to find peace and connect with a world I know and enjoy. When there are bumps in the road, and a venomous snake encounter is a bad one,  I find myself perfectly willing to do whatever is necessary to eliminate that element from my life.  For me, it's a small investment that will return me to a time when I never thought about those darn creatures.  A return to peacefulness in the world in which sasquatches live.

Edited by wiiawiwb

The snake concern is a big one in most of my area, lots of rogue black bear too but most of them are scared off by cracking a limb. I always carry a snake hook with me. eerTimber rattlers and copperheads are all over the place here but ive worked with reptiles for 25 years now. so I known when and where to avoid, which helps a lot, but I still wear snake gaiters and have my hooks with me just in case I'm with others and need to move one.

On 4/17/2021 at 10:43 PM, Wooly Booger said:

As powerful and deadly as grizzlies are I don't think they would stand much of a chance against a Sasquatch. Remember, Sasquatches don't have simply strength and size to their advantage, they also have near human intelligence and all of the cunning that goes with it. 

I think bears have more to fear from Sasquatches than the other way around. 

I'm not so sure a very large ape would deal so easily with a brown bear. In ancient Rome brown bears were pitted against Lions and Tigers in arenas like the Colosseum for sport and almost exclusively the bears came out on top. 

Assuming the sasquatch is real of course, and that it's 'Patty like'.

Sad news to hear the death of the victim and the bear too. Just a bad situation all round.

The video norseman posted has one of my favorite encounters and gives some very rare insight on how griz and sas interact.

• Thanks 1