Justin Smeja Incident?

Wooly Booger

5 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

My opinion, he poached a bear cub, and made up a bigfoot story to muddy the waters and avoid getting in trouble.

Where is the trophy though? Just kill it for the heck of it? To harvest the gall bladder? I don't doubt there is illegal animal organ harvesting going on but all indications are that's not what this guy does or did.

It seems like the Bigfoot story is what got him in hot water as opposed to muddying said waters.

Seems like he would have taken the ‘3 S’ route if he shot a bear and was trying to avoid attention.  Coming out and claiming that you shot not only a Bigfoot but some juvenile Sasquatch as well...that seems like a recipe for disaster no matter who hears the story.  Skeptics will think that you are crazy or a hoaxer, Bigfoot believers will want your head for killing the juveniles, F&W are going to think that you poached bears...

That’s a lot of drama and hard feelings...and for what?  Some mostly negative attempts in the Bigfoot community and the chance to have your face on a few Bigfoot tv shows?  

Actually, I always think of Smeja as an example of why someone who actually shot one of these things might not want to come forward...even with some sort of proof.  You are going to get no warm welcome from any group...least of all people who are involved with the Bigfoot world.  You will be considered a crazy hoaxer at worst...a murderer by the tree huggers at best.  All those people with visions of Harry and the Hendersons in their heads would be out for your blood.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

It seems like the Bigfoot story is what got him in hot water as opposed to muddying said waters.

Seems like he would have taken the ‘3 S’ route if he shot a bear and was trying to avoid attention.  Coming out and claiming that you shot not only a Bigfoot but some juvenile Sasquatch as well...that seems like a recipe for disaster no matter who hears the story.  Skeptics will think that you are crazy or a hoaxer, Bigfoot believers will want your head for killing the juveniles, F&W are going to think that you poached bears...

That’s a lot of drama and hard feelings...and for what?  Some mostly negative attempts in the Bigfoot community and the chance to have your face on a few Bigfoot tv shows?  

Actually, I always think of Smeja as an example of why someone who actually shot one of these things might not want to come forward...even with some sort of proof.  You are going to get no warm welcome from any group...least of all people who are involved with the Bigfoot world.  You will be considered a crazy hoaxer at worst...a murderer by the tree huggers at best.  All those people with visions of Harry and the Hendersons in their heads would be out for your blood.

Justin Smeja almost fits the profile of a Tragic Greek Hero LOL

35 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

Justin Smeja almost fits the profile of a Tragic Greek Hero LOL

Bellerophon had his stinging fly

Smeja had a hunk of bear meat.

• Haha 1

I really think that one has to go to the start of the whole incident of Justin. There was remorse between him and his partner.  He just did not come out on these forums and say "hey I just shot a bigfoot and a baby " .  It was Derek Randel who brought this to our attention from a hunting forum. What Justin did is use poor judgement on his part and not pick up those bodies. He had that proof in his hands. It would not have matter what he did with those bodies. If he could have crossed state lines with them so that he could not get prosecuted it would have been good for him.

Now people may look at him as some bad guy for what he might have done. For what he is now being shown as on TV.  He feels bad and even seems to be proactive for these creatures. So some thing has changed in him that took place that dread full day. I am sure that it stills effect him to this day. It impacted him. I know that he is not the same person he once was. I only wish that he would post here again along with Dereck. But we as a forum have pushed some great people away who really need to come back. We all do not have the answers. Yet, there are others with allot more knowledge. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

I really think that one has to go to the start of the whole incident of Justin. There was remorse between him and his partner.  He just did not come out on these forums and say "hey I just shot a bigfoot and a baby " .  It was Derek Randel who brought this to our attention from a hunting forum. What Justin did is use poor judgement on his part and not pick up those bodies. He had that proof in his hands. It would not have matter what he did with those bodies. If he could have crossed state lines with them so that he could not get prosecuted it would have been good for him.

Now people may look at him as some bad guy for what he might have done. For what he is now being shown as on TV.  He feels bad and even seems to be proactive for these creatures. So some thing has changed in him that took place that dread full day. I am sure that it stills effect him to this day. It impacted him. I know that he is not the same person he once was. I only wish that he would post here again along with Dereck. But we as a forum have pushed some great people away who really need to come back. We all do not have the answers. Yet, there are others with allot more knowledge. 

Justin Smeja was a member here?  Very interesting.  Do you have a link to some of his posts?

For what it is worth, Smeja did not benefit much financially from these events. He did get paid for the bear steak, I think it was $500 and he has been on a few lower end reality shows and Rictor Riolo videos. I wouldn't call that a success. Mostly, he is just viewed as he is on this thread, a liar, hoaxer, dumb dumb or worse.

I keep saying it and unless you actually know the guy, it's hard to accept. I've spoken to him several times face to face and he just does not have the aptitude for a complex hoax or lies. Bottom line, if he killed something he shouldn't have then he would have done what he is best at in life which is do nothing at all.  The last thing this guy would ever do is try and outsmart anyone, least of all a law enforcement agency.

I believe @gigantorwould have to help find those old post when after the incident took place. But it was really debated and harsh words were exchange with in the thread. Things that need to be left in the past. Nothing good comes from the past. All we have is the future to look forward too. Our past is what we should learn from and things of what not to do. Allot of great people have left due to mistreatment of evidence. Debating is one thing. But arguing over the same thing well that takes no one nowhere. That is what happen with that thread that sent them off ( Dereck/Justin ) on there own. On great researcher and a soon to be great researcher. We all have to change our ways on how we see things.

1 hour ago, ShadowBorn said:

I believe @gigantorwould have to help find those old post when after the incident took place. But it was really debated and harsh words were exchange with in the thread. Things that need to be left in the past. Nothing good comes from the past. All we have is the future to look forward too. Our past is what we should learn from and things of what not to do. Allot of great people have left due to mistreatment of evidence. Debating is one thing. But arguing over the same thing well that takes no one nowhere. That is what happen with that thread that sent them off ( Dereck/Justin ) on there own. On great researcher and a soon to be great researcher. We all have to change our ways on how we see things.

I am going quote this the next time that veteran members roll up in a thread and start complaining that the topic has already been discussed before...

“Things that need to be left in the past. Nothing good comes from the past.”

How do you learn from the past if nothing good comes from the past? 

Anyway...

I am only going by my impression of Smeja by way of seeing him on tv and interviewed...but, my impression of him lined up exactly with what Arvedis came away with after meeting the guy face to face and what MIB hinted at but was too polite to come out and say in the forum.  

I would expect someone like that to weave a different sort of tale if he was just making it up...one that is much simpler with him in a sympathetic role as opposed to how he comes off in his own account.  

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShadowBorn said:

The older threads are too long to wade through. I'm not that much of BF research nerd to dive into that.

End result= no bodies, no valid evidence, empty ended investigation due to shifting details, legal penalties for the alleged shooter.

6 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

The older threads are too long to wade through. I'm not that much of BF research nerd to dive into that.

End result= no bodies, no valid evidence, empty ended investigation due to shifting details, legal penalties for the alleged shooter.

I am. I'll bite the bullet. Besides, might dig up some good info in the process. 

You know Smeja personally? Do you happen to know if he is still active in the Bigfoot Community? My purpose in posting this thread is because it has been a number of years since I've heard anything about his alleged encounter. 

Edited by Wooly Booger

Smeja was never part of the BF community. If he participates, he's not doing it to prove anything. That's never been his goal. In fact, he's never had a goal.  If he did then he would have been more outgoing about it. As been noted, he came here and didn't go out of his way to convince anyone of anything. He was looking for clues to help him understand what he experienced.

Edited by Arvedis
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Arvedis said:

Smeja was never part of the BF community. If he participates, he's not doing it to prove anything. That's never been his goal. I'm fact, he's never had a goal.  If he did then he would have been more outgoing about it. As been noted, he came here and didn't go out of his way to convince anyone of anything. He was looking for clues to help him understand what he experienced.

So the fact was that he experience some thing odd that he could not explain and needed answers. Dereck tried to help him and even defended him here. But people did not like what they were saying. Yes, there might have been a matter of a way of his ethics in hunting. But that should not have step in to what he did on that dread full day. I have never met the dude so I have no personal dealings with him. But I understand the creature. At the time of the incident I was convince that he had actually shot two creatures and am still convince today that he did. His mistake was not to grab that baby of a creature. Otherwise it would be a different story today. 

The now is that he is a part of the BF community. Derek placed him there when he searched him out and put him in the history book of Bigfoot. So I am not sure where you are going with this. Legally. If he has broken laws by coming out on what he did then he understood what he did. If he was in the right place but in the wrong state to pull that trigger then he was in the wrong. But he was there and we were not and he is the one who has to live with what he did.  Maybe this is why he has come out and talked about it.

46 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

So the fact was that he experience some thing odd that he could not explain and needed answers. Dereck tried to help him and even defended him here. But people did not like what they were saying. Yes, there might have been a matter of a way of his ethics in hunting. But that should not have step in to what he did on that dread full day. I have never met the dude so I have no personal dealings with him. But I understand the creature. At the time of the incident I was convince that he had actually shot two creatures and am still convince today that he did. His mistake was not to grab that baby of a creature. Otherwise it would be a different story today. 

The now is that he is a part of the BF community. Derek placed him there when he searched him out and put him in the history book of Bigfoot. So I am not sure where you are going with this. Legally. If he has broken laws by coming out on what he did then he understood what he did. If he was in the right place but in the wrong state to pull that trigger then he was in the wrong. But he was there and we were not and he is the one who has to live with what he did.  Maybe this is why he has come out and talked about it.

This is a story that makes no sense any way it is looked at and it happened at a time when there was already drama going on with hoaxes, Matlida, DNA, and whatever else.  We'll never know all of the factual details but something definitely happened. Watch Dead Bigfoot and everyone can make up their own minds I guess.

(did a YT search and this incident is old and talked to death. There is even a nat geo thing on it.)

Edited by Arvedis
  • Thanks 1