Gigantopithecus Blacki

xdivision

Admin

I wonder what @Bill thinks about this.

I've never understood the connection between GigantoP and sasquach/bigfoot either.  Giganto was supposed to be this slow-moving, sloth-like quadraped. Everything we've heard about a sasquatch is how adroitly it moves and how blisteringly fast it can be when it wishes to be.

16 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I've never understood the connection between GigantoP and sasquach/bigfoot either.  Giganto was supposed to be this slow-moving, sloth-like quadraped. Everything we've heard about a sasquatch is how adroitly it moves and how blisteringly fast it can be when it wishes to be.

Aside from the unlikelihood of an almost herbivorous animal surviving the Baring landbridge journey through cold terrain, etc. A humanish offshoot just makes more sense.

• Upvote 1

The connection between Giganto and sasquatch was based essentially on size. Many sasquatch were described or estimated to be 8-10' tall (based on footprint sizes) and Giganto was the only primate estimated to be 9-10' tall, so somebody made the connection and said "Maybe sasquatch is a relic gigantopithecus. They're the same size." But size is one of the easiest physical attributes to evolve or change, and the other discrepancies of physical attributes (which do not evolve often or easily, like bipedalism) defeat the comparison.