Living With Bigfoot—An Habituation Story (Part 1 of 4)

MikeZimmer

The fellow did his work starting in 1973. Said he had an LED watch. Anybody remember if there were LED watches in 1973?

I can't find episodes 3 and 4, so it may  be that they have not been posted yet.  The story is fascinating. I will leave it to others to find flaws in the narrative. I find it compelling, so if a BSer, he is quite accomplished in the art. I am a little unclear as to who the narrator actually is.

Admin

Yeah, I remember wanting a Hamilton Pulsar around that time period. They were the coolest things! But, they were very expensive at the time, probably around $100-150...  ;) Needless to say, my parents did not get me one. Of course, those types of watches quickly came down in price and 2-3 years later, most everyone had one of some type.

• Upvote 1

No comments? This is a truly fascinating story, of a fellow who claims to have spent years in the forest researching. Nothing suggests woo, and he did not make friends with the creatures, but he had at least one sighting. Dedicated researcher or fantasist?  I do not know, but he includes details which are very convincing to me. If a fantasist, he is a coherent one.

• 2 months later...

These videos held my interest and motivation to learn more. 

I remember led watches started to become cheapie affordable in mid 70s so the novelty and expense didn't last from the early 70s.

Edited by ClayRock

On 4/24/2021 at 10:27 PM, MikeZimmer said:

The fellow did his work starting in 1973. Said he had an LED watch. Anybody remember if there were LED watches in 1973?

If there were, they were extremely rare and expensive.

• Upvote 1

Mike,

Thanks for sharing this 4-part documentary on the field research that James Spink did on SW of Florida in the 70's.

I never heard of him, but am not surprised that some eccentric and smart person in south Florida would pursue that research back then.

Jim was born 50 years too early.

Nowadays, he would be in YouTube showing his videos/research and probably getting some money (via Patreon, GoFundMe, etc.) to fund this research effort.

It was sad to hear him state that after 20 years of field research, he did not have much to show and ended up in poverty (by choice according to him).

Doubt he made much money selling those tapes.

He never identified the island where he started his field research.

But based on hints from his audio tape and the newspaper clippings that were posted on the documentary, it appears that it was on one of the barrier islands west of Cape Haze Aquatic Preserve. (see attached map extract).

He mentioned that to go to this island he launched his small boat at the Placida fisherman village.

He was quoted in other newspapers as saying that it was west of Englewood.

Another time it was quoted that it was west of Punta Gorda.

One article in the 80's said that he wanted to do his research in Charlotte Harbor. 

A likely island where he started his field research is Boca Grande (SW of Placida) and south of Englewood.

This is not the Everglades; so not sure why several papers wrote that he was doing research in the Everglades.

Maybe he moved location later?

James Spink FL Research Area.JPG

• Thanks 1