Infrasound Detector

gigantor

Admin

I found a free infrasound detector app for Android phones.

It uses the phone's microphone and accelerometer to detect/log infrasound between 4Hz and 30Hz. I'm thinking of taking it to the zoo when it reopens to see what happens.

CtvMe2rfii-fp-tpIuMhiRkWupS0z6Z_9AC4jhRL wgTCr8y7CrLStWSDYoSoiEmBOdrXfZ2FmwCpnLcR

DWyztzHiczsDYLFCr8w3O8nIKaRhIO11BiV0a-4q nzfvv7B5eZzbMyeKxihJ_LhkeouW0Hf80ALIRlTT

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• gigantor featured and unfeatured this topic

I downloaded this or a comparable app fairly recently. I found that infrasound was registering everywhere I went. I did not tinker with the controls to see if there was a way to filter anything.

Great find Gigantor. It would be very helpful to be able to confirm what your body is sensing.

@Arvedis    Were you in the woods, ,and removed society's noises, when you were testing it or in an urban/suburban environment?

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Great find Gigantor. It would be very helpful to be able to confirm what your body is sensing.

@Arvedis    Were you in the woods, ,and removed society's noises, when you were testing it or in an urban/suburban environment?

I could have used such a thing in 2016. I have used an emf detector in the field with success though.

On 4/30/2021 at 1:21 AM, wiiawiwb said:

Both but infrasound travels for miles so it could come from anywhere. I would be surprised at being able to get no readings at all on an app or any detector.

Edited by Arvedis

On 4/29/2021 at 8:11 PM, gigantor said:

I'm thinking of taking it to the zoo when it reopens to see what happens.

I think that you posted about the app a long time ago. Thanks again.

Zoo,  Giraffe barn is the place for 'silent voices' .  If there is a mother with a young Giraffe, it will be 'chatty'.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

If there is a mother with a young Giraffe, it will be 'chatty'.

Makes me think that reported BF Samurai chatter may also be coming from the young?

Downloaded. We will run it through its paces this weekend durring a training event.

• Thanks 1

BFF Patron

The place to check it out at a zoo would be the elephant compound.    Infrasound in animals was first detected in elephants in the wild.    They seemed to be communicating somehow and did not seem to use any visual signals so one researcher decided to deploy an infrasound detector.   They apparently use it all the time.     Lions and tigers use it but only during an attack of prey.   Not likely something that would happen in the zoo while you are there.    It is very non directional and when I experienced it with BF I could not tell where it was coming from.   5 to 30HZ covers the frequencies I experienced and recorded so if BF uses it nearby it is entirely possible the phone will pick it up.   Might explain some of the unreasonable fear people are experincing in the presence of BF.   

I would be interested to find out if anyone who's had encounters with these beings has ever detected infrasound. I know there's a lot of discussion about it and people talking about being "zapped" before but I think maybe that could be contributing factor from the survival fight or flight mechanism of fear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, xdivision said:

I would be interested to find out if anyone who's had encounters with these beings has ever detected infrasound. I know there's a lot of discussion about it and people talking about being "zapped" before but I think maybe that could be contributing factor from the survival fight or flight mechanism of fear. 

Might be...

A lot of people who claim to be zapped though never actually see a Sasquatch.  

On 4/30/2021 at 1:55 AM, Arvedis said:

I downloaded this or a comparable app fairly recently. I found that infrasound was registering everywhere I went. I did not tinker with the controls to see if there was a way to filter anything.

I'll be in the field this weekend not far from where I think i was "infrasounded" once before, so........ I'll give it a whirl

Just remember that if you pipe in the accelerometer  feature that it will track your own motion or deviations in direction. For example, if you're holding your device and rotate it a few degrees it will show that. I haven't figured out why that kind of data would be important in an infrared sensor unless having a possible advantage of knowing the "location" of an infrared source relative to a device's orientation is what it shows. 

Edited by hiflier

Very cool, thanks gigantor!

One of the issues with detecting infrasound is the many false triggers. This was the result of the project I am reading about from the University of Vienna; "Acoustic Detection of Elephant Presence in Noisy Environments".

Try running your detector on the close up noiseless sound file from GuyInIndiana below.

Edited by Believer57
  • Thanks 1