Walkie-Talkies (Handheld two-way radios)

Explorer

I have a couple of Motorola TALKABOUT two-way radios (Model T9680RSAME) that I am not very happy with.

Last year, during a weeklong BF research expedition in WA, part of our group had an encounter on the other side of a hill from my location but I could not hear the messages they were sending back.  It was all static and garbled.

The distance was between 0.5 mile and 1 mile, but it was on the other side of a hill.

I want to upgrade to something better, but am not familiar with technology options and whether higher wattage will improve the reception.

Outdoor Gear lab recommends the Backcountry Access BC Link 2.0 (see reviews below).

But it is pricey and geared toward backcountry skiers.

Outdoor Gear Lab claims that the unit does well in obstructed range tests.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-walkie-talkies

Some reviews in Amazon claim that it performs well in backcountry, but not sure if there are better options than this expensive unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Access-Link-2-0-Radio/dp/B07BM328XQ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Backcountry+Access&qid=1620165637&sr=8-5

I welcome any suggestions from BFF members. 

The problem with any receiver is going to be line of sight. Passing radio waves through base rock is always going to fail unless your using some sort of booster on the ridge or using satellite based coms.

@Explorer

I have been using the Baofeng UV5R handhelds and have been pretty happy with them.  It sounds like you are investigating with a group, so one of the benefits to the Baofeng is that they are inexpensive...so you can outfit each member of your group quite easily.  

The handsets can be programmed to operate on a variety of bands depending on your licensing and comfort level.  

These work well enough on their own, but adding in the DIY repeater that Norse linked above would really add to their range.

I sent you a link via pm to another forum that has some decent information about the Baofeng.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

The only other options are Satellite communication. Like a Garmin inreach where you can text back and forth or like a iridium sat phone.

When I was on the fire dept we used repeaters to bounce off of to talk to dispatch in Colville. Because often there was a mountain range in the way. How well that little DIY repeater would work is anyone’s guess.

I would skip the FRS radios and go with CB or ham.    Bigger, weigh more, but work considerably better.    I'm not sure what's current now.    I used to sometimes lug my father's Midland 40 channel portable along with its bucket load of AA batteries if we knew we'd need communications.   It was good for 5 miles or more essentially always and at times, closer to 15 miles.    I don't have personal experience with ham radios but friends who four wheeled had them, usually portables, and they seemed better yet.

• Upvote 1

Since I go way out in the Alaskan wilderness alone annually (or more often), and have gotten myself in several pickles out there, emergency communications has been a big thing with me. Trying to avoid subscription services, I had considered a HAM license and handheld radio to communicate with passing aircraft, but I've given up on emergency radios (even though a federal wildlife officer using his radio saved our bacon just the other day). I finally broke down and bought an iridium satellite phone. The service will cost me @ $41 per month, and the roll over terms will allow the accumulation of up to 1200 minutes of airtime. Combined with a personal locator beacon kept in my pocket at all times, I'm covered, and all over the planet.

Granted, that really doesn't do any good for a group operating in a few square mile area. In all honesty, the best option in that case are handheld CB radios. Their power and range are as good or better than the other unlicensed public bands, and they are excellent while on the road because truckers use them extensively.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2021 at 2:13 PM, Huntster said:

Since I go way out in the Alaskan wilderness alone annually (or more often), and have gotten myself in several pickles out there, emergency communications has been a big thing with me. Trying to avoid subscription services, I had considered a HAM license and handheld radio to communicate with passing aircraft, but I've given up on emergency radios (even though a federal wildlife officer using his radio saved our bacon just the other day). I finally broke down and bought an iridium satellite phone. The service will cost me @ $41 per month, and the roll over terms will allow the accumulation of up to 1200 minutes of airtime. Combined with a personal locator beacon kept in my pocket at all times, I'm covered, and all over the planet.

Granted, that really doesn't do any good for a group operating in a few square mile area. In all honesty, the best option in that case are handheld CB radios. Their power and range are as good or better than the other unlicensed public bands, and they are excellent while on the road because truckers use them extensively.

I was rereading this thread and missed the part about the satellite phone service costing $41/month service.  I'm not sure how many minutes it includes per month but, in the big picture, that cost is not nearly as much as I would have expected.  I agree that it plus a PLB is the best combination out there.

6 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I was rereading this thread and missed the part about the satellite phone service costing $41/month service.  I'm not sure how many minutes it includes per month but, in the big picture, that cost is not nearly as much as I would have expected..........

It's actually a 6 month term calling card costing $245 and includes 200 minutes, so all 200 minutes are available immediately upon purchase. If you use them up before the 6 months are over, you simply buy another card, and upon purchase of another card, remaining time is rolled over onto the next card up to a 1200 minute accumulated balance. This card is usable only for outbound calls originating from Alaska and Canada, but inbound calls from anywhere. Cards are available for all regions on Earth, so if I'm going to Africa, Florida, or Brazil, I have to buy the appropriate card. The name of the service provider is BlueCosmos, and you can review their plans online. I bought the phone used from a trophy hunter who carried it with him all over the world. It has a DC and AC charging plugs as well as adapters for various overseas electric systems, and all in a Pelican waterproof case that isn't too bulky. I paid $550 for the phone, which is a good buy. I was the first guy to call on his Craigslist ad, I went to his house immediately, and his phone was ringing off the hook as I secured the deal. The average price used on Craigslist for this phone runs @ $600-$1K. 

I created several Craigslist searches for various items with notification, so immediately upon somebody posting an ad with my keywords and features, I get an email. I've been able to call sellers so soon after they hit the "post" button that they were shocked.

The PLB I bought is this unit. It's very small, and easily fits in a pocket:

D861AEB2-3719-413D-AB58-A797F7EFCE16.jpeg

• Upvote 1

After reviewing my options (FRS, GMRS, CB, MURS, Ham radio) and their technical differences, I concluded that I am better off with a GMRS radio instead of a ham radio or my current FRS unit.

The main reason I chose GMRS is that when I go on these expeditions, most of the people just bring FRS radios, and I need to be able to connect to their frequencies quickly.

A GMRS will have the same frequencies as FRS but more power (5 watts) and better reception. The additional cost of an FCC license is just $70 for 10 years (with no test).

I purchased the Wouxun KG-805G for $100. See link below.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-805g.html

I also got the GMRS license at the link below. It was not difficult to follow their web instructions and I got the license via email within a day.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/universal-licensing-system

Most of my outdoor explorations are by myself or with one other person, so I don't use radios for most of my outings.  Maybe twice a year I might get invited to join a group and do an expedition.

I already have a Garmin inReach-Mini, that I use for texting my location to friends and family and it has capability for two-way texting of messages via satellite.  In addition to its original purpose of sending an SOS for rescue.

With this Wouxun unit, I can change the antenna to 8 inches or 16 inches, but I will use the one that came with unit first (6 inches) to test its performance.

I will test it in August (when I will go back to WA for a similar group outing) and report back in BFF on whether it was any better.

Edited by Explorer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Explorer said:

After reviewing my options (FRS, GMRS, CB, MURS, Ham radio) and their technical differences, I concluded that I am better off with a GMRS radio instead of a ham radio or my current FRS unit.

The main reason I chose GMRS is that when I go on these expeditions, most of the people just bring FRS radios, and I need to be able to connect to their frequencies quickly.

A GMRS will have the same frequencies as FRS but more power (5 watts) and better reception. The additional cost of an FCC license is just $70 for 10 years (with no test).

I purchased the Wouxun KG-805G for $100. See link below.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-805g.html

I also got the GMRS license at the link below. It was not difficult to follow their web instructions and I got the license via email within a day.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/universal-licensing-system

Most of my outdoor explorations are by myself or with one other person, so I don't use radios for most of my outings.  Maybe twice a year I might get invited to join a group and do an expedition.

I already have a Garmin inReach-Mini, that I use for texting my location to friends and family and it has capability for two-way texting of messages via satellite.  In addition to its original purpose of sending an SOS for rescue.

With this Wouxun unit, I can change the antenna to 8 inches or 16 inches, but I will use the one that came with unit first (6 inches) to test its performance.

I will test it in August (when I will go back to WA for a similar group outing) and report back in BFF on whether it was any better.

Interested to see how these perform for you.  Thanks for the update.

I remember having purchased a two-way radio a dozen years ago to be able to communicate with others on a night investigation.  I was tuned to the correct channel and when someone called out on their radio, mine squelched and it gave away my location. I tossed it in the garbage when I got home.

The idea of using them to communicate between parties at night is excellent. I found that some people would talk at normal voice level, rather than whisper, and would give away their location. If used properly, where the parties are not separated too far, and everyone agrees to talk softly, they can be a valuable asset. It helps to coordinate activity especially when changes occur that must be addressed immediately.

I'd buy them again if someone has a time-tested brand/model they can recommend and that they've used succesfully in the field.

I am also very interested in how you like your radios. Please update us in the future after some use.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic