Yowie Infrared

VAfooter

Posted (edited)

I now see a post on the BFRO Facebook page that claims the photo is a fake. I don't have a FB account so I can't see the comments.

The original post was by Karac St. Laurent on May 9th. This confuses me as what to believe in. Why would Angela fake this? Is the claim by Karac St. Laurent just a hunch or misdirection? Is this another spat between competing groups?

This image from Australian Yowie Research has been making the rounds lately, purporting to show a yowie, or other humanlike unknown primate, moving through the brush on a FLIR thermal camera. Unfortunately, the image is a fake.
The image of the "Yowie" is photoshopped from the thumbnail provided below, which appears to have been first uploaded onto the internet as far back as 2011. It actually used to be a quite popular image, with documentaries like Bigfoot Lives 3 utilizing it for artwork.

Edited by Believer57

Posted (edited)

Haven't done much research into cryptid hominoids in that part of the world.  Is the Yowie supposedly the same species as the North American Sasquatch and Russian Yeti? If so, how did it travel to the Australian continent and how did it adapt to an environment so different from that of its traditional range? 

Edited by Wooly Booger

2 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

Is the Yowie supposedly the same species as the North American Sasquatch and Russian Yeti?

How would we know? I suspect that they evolved to their environment much like the North American versions between the southern states and the Pacific Northwest.

There is a rich history of the "hairy man" in Australia. You can read more about it on the AYR site link below.

What is a Yowie?

I did some research on Karac St. Laurent and no longer feel that his cry of foul has much merit. He seems to be self-promoting and only has 32 subscribers on his YouTube page. I'll continue to side with AYR and Angela Ashton for now.

Admin

From a very brief Internet search, I would tend to agree with you Believer. His FB page, at least what I could see of it, is not any better than the YT page.

Yeah, go with Angela on this.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, VAfooter said:

From a very brief Internet search, I would tend to agree with you Believer. His FB page, at least what I could see of it, is not any better than the YT page.

Yeah, go with Angela on this.

Agreed.  I would much prefer to go squatching with Angela.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2021 at 1:17 PM, hiflier said:

I sent a message to AYR with a suggestion. If they go back to Stickland at some future date and find more sticks stuck in the ground, I suggested that they remove them and place them in a neat pile close by. And then, stick some of their own sticks into the ground in the same area to see what happens.

Just got an email back from AYR. They thanked me for suggesting an interesting experiment but that there was no impact from trying it out. Kudos for them following though and for responding :)

On 5/11/2021 at 6:06 AM, Wooly Booger said:

Haven't done much research into cryptid hominoids in that part of the world.  Is the Yowie supposedly the same species as the North American Sasquatch and Russian Yeti? If so, how did it travel to the Australian continent and how did it adapt to an environment so different from that of its traditional range? 

We have more proof of archaic hominids in that part of the world than in North America. By far!

Flores

Luzon

Java

Plus the extant Orang

I surmise low sea levels during the last ice age would precipitate migrations. But in the case of Flores it appears rafts were constructed and used. As Flores was an island then as well.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2021 at 8:01 AM, Believer57 said:

I now see a post on the BFRO Facebook page that claims the photo is a fake. I don't have a FB account so I can't see the comments.

Not sure I'd call it fake, but maybe an over-eager call of a Bigfoot when it looks more like a bear to me. The short, stubby legs were the first thing I noticed and though bear.

Edited by Rockape
  • Downvote 1

I see shoulders and a head. No matter the orientation. Bears do not have shoulders per say. Their torso just stream lines into a head.

You all know what I think about photos. I don’t think it’s a bear.... but is it a hoax?

690162D0-34E4-4439-8667-0C277AA19622.jpeg

817D0A6C-F166-4141-B635-42FCF4A3CCCA.jpeg

On 5/19/2021 at 8:22 PM, norseman said:

I see shoulders and a head. No matter the orientation. Bears do not have shoulders per say. Their torso just stream lines into a head.

You all know what I think about photos. I don’t think it’s a bear.... but is it a hoax?

690162D0-34E4-4439-8667-0C277AA19622.jpeg

817D0A6C-F166-4141-B635-42FCF4A3CCCA.jpeg

Would the bear appear to have more shoulder if the arms are out line grabbing the tree? Not that familiar with bears but it looks like the above photo the front legs are forward and down so making the shoulder area look even smaller?

Looks like the bear hugging the tree to me in the photo TBH.

4 hours ago, Celtic Raider said:

Would the bear appear to have more shoulder if the arms are out line grabbing the tree? Not that familiar with bears but it looks like the above photo the front legs are forward and down so making the shoulder area look even smaller?

Looks like the bear hugging the tree to me in the photo TBH.

I don’t think so. No matter the orientation of a bears arms they do not form “shoulders” like an ape. Not that I have ever seen. Completely different structure.

5C620A49-D8EE-470F-8368-F2ADDF62D95B.jpeg

8ED7B666-B746-4435-B24A-CA52C85F2B34.jpeg

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, norseman said:

I don’t think so. No matter the orientation of a bears arms they do not form “shoulders” like an ape. Not that I have ever seen. Completely different structure.

5C620A49-D8EE-470F-8368-F2ADDF62D95B.jpeg

8ED7B666-B746-4435-B24A-CA52C85F2B34.jpeg

Cheers! Plus their rear legs are not just short, they are a very small fraction of the height, the 'inside leg' kind of measurement is very telling on those shots. That should be very easy to spot as opposed to a bipedal creature.

• Upvote 1

I recall that the shoulders of the creature I saw over 40 years ago are the feature that convinced me that I was NOT looking at a bear.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It is disappointing when the BF researcher who allegedly took this photo (Angela Ashton) does not explain in detail the circumstances upon which the photo was taken.

Also disappointing is that it appears she did not do a on site recreation in day-time to determine distance and height.

According to ParaBreakdown, Angela states that she never claimed it was a bigfoot.

However, I have never seen an official post or statement from her clearly saying what she thinks it is and whether she took the photo herself.

There are lots of assumptions.

Maybe those previous statements are somewhere to be found in Facebook but I am not a member.

Nonetheless, she has a blog and it would be easy to post a full report there on the history of that photo.

After realizing that she is a member of the Olympic Project, I wrote to one of their members and inquired whether they have examined this photo before.

I was naively assuming that Angela thought the photo had some merit and shared it with her Olympic Project colleagues.

Below is the reply I got from an OP member:

"Angela did not give permission to the Australian Team to publish or comment on the photo they included in their YouTube  Video.

Angela did not reveal or talk about the photo with the Olympic Project. Therefore there is nothing to investigate.

People are trolling Angela and I have advised her not to respond."

On the first point, I think he is wrong if you read the comment that Angela posted below the ParaBreakdown video.

See extract below.

She shared that photo with AYR years before and gave them carte blanche on usage.

Not clear what she told them the photo was about. 

On the second point, Olympic Project has never seen that photo or examined it.

Which begs the question, if she really believed it was a BF and not a bear, then why not share the photo with her BF research group?

Maybe she truly does not know what it is and dismisses it because it lacks evidentiary value.

On the latest ParaBreakdown video, the reviewer now claims that it is a bear instead of a photoshopped image.

He includes photo analysis (done by Todd Prescott) showing the position of the bear and suggesting that the top of the image is the bear's nose and not the head (see attached image).

That is certainly one hypothesis to explain this thermal image photo.

However, I noticed that in the photo they highlight all the aspects that fit the bear hypothesis but not the one item that does not fit - the long extended leg.

Maybe that is a thermal imager artifact or some other hot-spot, but when I first saw it, I thought it was the leg extension of a walking creature.

Another complexity of this photo is that two BFRO colleagues (who are experts with Thermal Imagers) told me that the white-hot thermal distribution on the creature's image was too uniformly distributed and that this was indicative of a costume.  They said that most living animals will show more variance in heat with lighter and darker patches. They have conducted thermal experiments with a man in a sasquatch costume and the heat appeared uniform like seen in the Mississippi photo. 

The key word in that statement is indicative as opposed to conclusive.

If it was a bear, then the bear thermal image showed uniform heat distribution.

Many of these uncertainties could be cleared up easily by a summary report from Angela.

If she took the photo, then she will be the best person to reject either the man in a suit hypothesis or the bear hypothesis.

I recall hearing in the AYR video, that Angela claimed to have seen two BFs in the Holly Spring National Forest and that one left quickly in a zig-zag pattern while the 2nd remained hugging a tree (this is the image captured).

Nonetheless, this is 2nd hand information from Dean Harrison and not from Angela directly.

Thus, we really don't know what she think she saw that early morning.

Angela Ashton Post in ParaBreakdown.JPG

Bear Thermal Photo from Mississippi.JPG

Unknown Thermal Photo from Mississippi.jpg

Edited by Explorer