Joe Carter

norseman

Admin

Very good video!

Some years ago I tried looking into this case via the Internet and came up with nada. I could find nothing, apart from the story (which was printed in the Track Record), to indicate that Joe Carter even existed. This video provides more details that I had not seen before. In the TR, the quote is, "The apes got him." That has always stuck with me...

Just curious, is there any record of the route that the skiers took that day, both up and down the mountain (including Joe's)? Given it has been 70 years and the eruption, I am guessing the landscape has changed somewhat since then.

Thanks for providing this!

I won’t be able to watch the video until later, but isn’t this the guy who was skiing downhill like a madman...as if he was being pursued by something?

If so... It’s been a few years since I read about it, but the one thing that sticks out in my memory was the interviews with some of the extremely experienced searchers who claimed that they felt like they were being watched or stalked. 

Just ski lines in the snow but no tracks. Him being Diabetic as well. Some thing does not add up. I am not leaving it to the mountain devils of ape canyon. I am thinking more the lines of his sugar being low and getting confused. Being that I am diabetic my self and have had my own sugar go low. It is not a great feeling. I do get confused and very nervous. Maybe this is what might have happen to him. Where him doing all that hiking. Not checking his sugar and getting on with the day. Not having any snacks or juice to keep his sugar in control. He just maybe got very confused , disorientated because he was going hypoglycemia.

Initial signs and symptoms of diabetic hypoglycemia include:
  • Shakiness.
  • Dizziness.
  • Sweating.
  • Hunger.
  • Fast heartbeat.
  • Inability to concentrate.
  • Confusion.
  • Irritability or moodiness.

Not trying to say that this could be what took place. But we might want to look at all aspects of his life. We all know our bodies and what we can do. But some times our bodies takes over. We loose thought of what's going on and forget that we have an illness. I have done stupid things like this while hunting. Not a great feeling when your body takes control and you have to fight it.  

But how do you explain that all those searchers could not turn up a body or any of his equipment when the ski tracks lead right to where he should have been? What happened with how the search went is more intriguing to me than why he did what he did.

I am not saying that this is what took place. Since there is a whole allot of possibilities that could have happen.  But the fact that they did not find any tracks but his. What else is there to conclude. One can only speculate that he either went hypoglycemic or he just lost his mind. No one else saw nothing other then the tracks he left behind. So that does not tell us allot about his disappearance. So yes it does leave this a mystery. But it also leaves us to speculate that if nothing was left behind and his tracks just stop. then he must have either been picked up in the air or past through a portal. I am more likely to believe in a giant bird like eagle then a portal. Other then since he was diabetic that would be the next thing to think about. He could have stashed his gear some where and hidden them. We just do not know how he was thinking at that point in time.

Ya, I don't really think anything pursued him. Tracks from a pursuer would have been as evident as those of the persuee. If this is Sasquatch related, I believe that it would be what happened after his descent into Ape Canyon.

On 5/12/2021 at 7:21 PM, ShadowBorn said:

Just ski lines in the snow but no tracks. Him being Diabetic as well. Some thing does not add up. I am not leaving it to the mountain devils of ape canyon. I am thinking more the lines of his sugar being low and getting confused. Being that I am diabetic my self and have had my own sugar go low. It is not a great feeling. I do get confused and very nervous. Maybe this is what might have happen to him. Where him doing all that hiking. Not checking his sugar and getting on with the day. Not having any snacks or juice to keep his sugar in control. He just maybe got very confused , disorientated because he was going hypoglycemia.

Not trying to say that this could be what took place. But we might want to look at all aspects of his life. We all know our bodies and what we can do. But some times our bodies takes over. We loose thought of what's going on and forget that we have an illness. I have done stupid things like this while hunting. Not a great feeling when your body takes control and you have to fight it.  

Interesting story and obviously there are a few elements that cannot be simply explained away but as you've written above Shadowborn, the most likely explanation I feel is that he had a hypoglycemic incident that led to him getting confused, lost and maybe his tracks were covered. I too am diabetic and had a hypo incident when I was in Los Angeles a few years back and got totally confused and lost, you don't think rationally or act logically.

There are still questions about why he didn't get found by the search, why his tracks weren't located etc. But maybe they were looking for someone thinking rationally or acting normally which he may not have been. 

Admin

I agree that your theory makes a lot of sense ShadowBorn. But the tracks ending and him not being found would constitute the real mystery...and I have no logical explanation for that unless, as they said, "The apes got him..."

On 5/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, Doug said:

Ya, I don't really think anything pursued him. Tracks from a pursuer would have been as evident as those of the persuee. If this is Sasquatch related, I believe that it would be what happened after his descent into Ape Canyon.

You beat me to it.  I am also confused as to why is friends felt he skied to the bottom normally if his tracks proceed straight down to Ape Canyon.  If they were going to have their picture taken they simply would have followed his tracks down to where he was waiting with the camera.  This case is a little fishy if you ask me.  My money is on the friends doing him end.  Also, ski's in this time frame did not have automatic brakes so a runaway set of skis would look just like this as long as they were released parallel to each other.

19 minutes ago, Twist said:

Then the apes must fly like in the Wizard of Oz!   

Not necessarily. We are assuming that if something was chasing him the attackers tracks would have followed his ski tracks directly behind. But what if they were not? What if something appeared above him and off to the side? What if the searchers were primarily focused on his tracks alone? And didn’t search the whole area well? Whatever spooked him may not have followed him at all. 

All great apes are self aware. Which presumably would include their own tracks left in snow and mud. Sometimes leaving tracks cannot be helped. But in these 411 style stories. It often seems like the person who is separated from the group is targeted and driven farther away from the group. Simply revealing oneself is enough often times. I’ve stood up and waved my arms on a hunt to try to push a deer passed my cousin trying to get him his first deer.

Not saying this is the case. Maybe the guy was trying to commit suicide by skiing. I just see a pattern here is all.

Yeah, he may have seen something that put him into a panic to get away...but that something might not have pursued.

Admin

Or perhaps due to his medical condition, he thought an avalanche was either underway or about to start and was trying to flee. Of course that does nothing to explain his disappearance. Just thinking out loud now...

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Not necessarily. We are assuming that if something was chasing him the attackers tracks would have followed his ski tracks directly behind. But what if they were not? What if something appeared above him and off to the side? What if the searchers were primarily focused on his tracks alone? And didn’t search the whole area well? Whatever spooked him may not have followed him at all. 

All great apes are self aware. Which presumably would include their own tracks left in snow and mud. Sometimes leaving tracks cannot be helped. But in these 411 style stories. It often seems like the person who is separated from the group is targeted and driven farther away from the group. Simply revealing oneself is enough often times. I’ve stood up and waved my arms on a hunt to try to push a deer passed my cousin trying to get him his first deer.

Not saying this is the case. Maybe the guy was trying to commit suicide by skiing. I just see a pattern here is all.

Norseman

This is possible as well Where these creatures were doing a push towards this human. One could be standing off the side to scare the human down hill towards it's next partner where that one would push that human towards the direction it wants him to go. Which would be the forest where there could be another creature pushing the human further into the forest. Where a creature could be hiding up in a tree. Where that creature could have grabbed that human and just swung from tree to tree to get away with the human. which could explain why no tracks were not found after they looked with in the forest. Which only explains his own tracks coming down the mountain but not in the forest.  Am I speculating ? you darn tutting right I am. Does it make sense ? yes, since they do climb tree's and may even swing from tree to tree.  The worst part about this is. It is some thing the searchers might not even think of to search for when looking for lost victims in the snow. Like who is going to look for falling snow off of tree's in the winter. One would just think that it was the wind that did it.

After all this is how I found out that they stole my bait pile over night. By them knocking over a tree and having a small one throw the bait over to it's partners. You have to remember that all this was done over night. So that it would only make sense that they could hunt like this as well. If you want to take different avenues then we should look at all aspects of this creature behavior as well. Talk about an Apex predator. Well here you have one. We thought that we were the only one.