Caring for, and even reviving, your Goretex jacket or pants

wiiawiwb

I learned something new today about how to care for Goretex clothing, such as a jacket. After continued use, in the rain it can feel as though it "wetted out" and will stick to your body. Apparently, cleaning it in a washing machine then putting it straight into the dryer to tumble dry on medium heat will revive the Goretex. 

I was always concerned heat might damage a Gortex jacket or pants and would let it air dry instead--not any more!!

• Upvote 2

The REI video of "Miranda in the wild"  backyard sprinkler activity is interesting.  Caring for Gore-tex fabrics also includes repairs.  I do not own Gore-tex tops or bottoms, but I had some gaiters that I punctured with a snowshoe cleat. Outdoor Research (OR), the maker, fixed the damage for free. They have a lifetime guarantee on their products. OR is American, 2 locations in the Seattle area. They have a material care section in the warranty site.  If you want to drop some serious money on American made outdoor clothing, OR can help. High price but they will repair everything they make.

REI used to have a 'shower booth' at the flagship store in Seattle. The booth could hold 2 people comfortably. 2 persons wanted to water test some gear. They entered the booth. A crowd gathered, including me. The crowd was silent. The 'testers' were wearing rain jackets, but no rain pants. The booth was a downpour. The jackets passed the test, humans did not. They were 50% soaking wet, 100% embarrassed.  The crowd was gooood.