Podcasts/YouTube Hosts And Shows

VAfooter
Admin

First of all a disclaimer - I do not listen to or watch podcasts/video on the internet for the most part. My connection is too slow (hopefully resolved in the next couple of weeks) and I just do not have time to sit down and listen/watch an hour (or more) long episode. I would much rather read the transcript or script since I can pick out the stuff of interest to me and get through it a lot quicker. I also enjoy reading much more than watching/listening.

That said, over the past 2-3 weeks, while jumping headfirst into the LBL stuff, I did listen to a few of the YouTube videos. Specifically, Cryptid Studies Institute, Johnny and Elijah Henderson, and the Paranormal Round Table with Josh Turner. I found both of these to be excellent sites. The hosts were fair and even handed in their treatment of the subject. Also, I found them to be extremely credible. I would recommend either/both based on my very limited experience with them.

Which brings up my main point. Which folks that do these sort of programs (cryptid/paranormal) do you find to be credible and trustworthy? Also, and maybe more importantly, which of these do you find to be either fake or without substance; people you should stay away from because they are just full of bad/false information? I was just curious as to who you like and dislike out there that do these cryptid types of shows?

CelticKevin

I don't listen to or watch many. I am particular/judgmental on my viewing. That said for podcasts...

1. Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo (I listen weekly)

2. Monster X Radio (once in a while)

3. Sasquatch Chronicles (same)

T.V. 

1. Finding Bigfoot (It has issues, I found some of its content ridiculous,  but the personalities make it enjoyable...well, with the exception of Moneymaker whom I'd like to slap upside the head)

YouTube

1. Thinker Thunker (His analysis is interesting to me)

DISLIKES

1. Expedition Bigfoot (Discount Finding Bigfoot. In my opinion, they are terrible and suffer from overplaying  "discoveries"
2. Killing Bigfoot/Bigfoot is Real (IMO is all scripted hoohah. Besides, I'm sure if someone actually shot and killed one, they'd never make it out of the woods alive if any more Squatches were around)
3. Survivorman; Bigfoot (Todd Standing...need i say more?)
4. Expedition Unknown (Drivel. I'm from the area where the cattle mutilation episode was filmed and everyone I know laughed at it. The Ape canyon episode was deceptive as well. Mark Myrsell ALREADY located the site and proved it...so there was no mystery.)
5. Mountain Monsters (Scripted crap so bad it puts a black mark on every other Sasquatch program

OldMort
Posted (edited)

I enjoy the Strange Familiars Podcast with Timothy Renner. He seems sincere and honest and has a most pleasant radio voice.

Most of his material is very interesting and thought provoking though I don't especially care for the ghostly apparitions and sleep paralysis stuff.

Some of his bigfoot and assorted other high strangeness shows are recorded on site in the field and its always fun to join him in his outdoor adventures.  

I have also listened to a lot of Sasquatch Chronicles and though it is usually quite entertaining I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

From what I understand, accusations have been made that some of his story telling guests are just actors reciting pre-scripted BS.

I don't know if that's true or not but my only gripe would be that the host, Wes, fails to call people out on the especially outlandish stuff.

Always nothing but "softball questions."

Finally, I came across the Expanded Perspectives Podcast fairly recently and have thoroughly enjoyed it!

Basically just a couple of good old boys trading strange stories of cryptids, history, folklore, paranormal and urban legends and other assorted strangeness.

These guys are total pros at what they do. They are funny yet intelligent and offer many excellent insights into the various subjects that they discuss.

Great entertainment that I highly recommend! They have quite an archive of old shows on Youtube.

Edited by OldMort
BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor

Strange Familiars is probably my favorite podcast going right now... Timothy is extremely talented...podcaster, writer, musician, illustrator....  There is a term used in the study of High Strangeness....
The Goblin Universe.  The reality that encompasses all of the things that go bump in the night that occasionally intrude upon our mundane world.  Strange Familiars does the best job of any of the current crop of podcasts in capturing the feeling of that Goblin Universe.

Sasquatch Chronicles is my go to podcast for Bigfoot.  I respect how the host’s opinion on the subject has evolved over time, and the show is extremely well done from a production standpoint.  

I used to hate the format of Shannon Legroe’s Into The Fray podcast, but over the last year or so it has become more serious and I listen to it more often or not.

I just came across the Cryptid Studies Institute, but I have been impressed with them so far.  I watched their original piece on the LBL from a year or so ago, and I thought that it was exceptionally well done.  

I have not listened to too much of Josh Turner and his Paranormal Round Table, but from what I can see he does an exceptional job of keeping his guests respectful and allowing a calm discussion.  

I usually don’t like the funny ‘morning zoo’ approach to cryptid/paranormal phenomena, but Expanded Perspectives is the exception to that rule.  They do a great job of examining the subject seriously while still having fun doing so.

BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
Posted (edited)

As far as the ones that I do NOT enjoy...

Any podcast or YouTube channel  dedicated to Dogman is going to be a dumpster fire of chicanery, narcissism, outright lies, and petty infighting.  I am in the middle of attempting to sort through accounts and the history of the phenomenon, and the Dogman field seems to be mostly populated by narcissistic pathological liars who develop these weird little cults of personality.  I don’t know what it is about the subject that attracts this type of person, but it does.  Absolute grandiose statements on the subject are made as declarations of unassailable truth...but with very little to zero verifiable evidence to back it up.  Questions are met with hostility, dog piling, and literal threats of violence.  

The subject is filled with government trained cryptid hunters, covered up massacres, allegations of demonic or experimental scientific origins...all presented by hosts who infight constantly.

If you can suspend your disbelief, they are  good for creepy pasta type of stories, and watching the infighting is fascinating in similar fashion to watching the Hindenburg explode.  I am trying to work through a 5 hour show right now to collect a few notes on an area; and I am having to wade through claims of his great wealth, bragging about beating and even killing those who have crossed him, his claims of former police work, firefights with cryptids, etc.  

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
Arvedis
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

As far as the ones that I do NOT enjoy...

Any podcast or YouTube channel  dedicated to Dogman is going to be a dumpster fire of chicanery, narcissism, outright lies, and petty infighting.  I am in the middle of attempting to sort through accounts and the history of the phenomenon, and the Dogman field seems to be mostly populated by narcissistic pathological liars who develop these weird little cults of personality.  I don’t know what it is about the subject that attracts this type of person, but it does.  Absolute grandiose statements on the subject are made as declarations of unassailable truth...but with very little to zero verifiable evidence to back it up.  Questions are met with hostility, dog piling, and literal threats of violence.  

The subject is filled with government trained cryptid hunters, covered up massacres, allegations of demonic or experimental scientific origins...all presented by hosts who infight constantly.

Dark Waters, Vault of Nightmares, both Dogman Encounters shows, Dogmancams, anything involving the NADP... all of them.  If you can suspend your disbelief, they are  good for creepy pasta type of stories, and watching the infighting is fascinating in similar fashion to watching the Hindenburg explode.  I am trying to work through a 5 hour Vault of Nightmares show right now to collect a few notes on an area; and I am having to wade through claims of his great wealth, bragging about beating and even killing those who have crossed him, his claims of former police work, firefights with cryptids, etc.

Kind of sounds like what bigfoot research was 10 years ago. That seems to have cooled off a bit, maybe because there no big topics to throw stones at.

Shouldn't dogman really be called wolfman?  I'm not seeing a dog of any variety in whatever scraps of images those folks produce. What breed of dog are the narcissists saying this creature resembles?  BTW, I would have to consider my research efforts to be a failure if someone called me a narcissist.  "You just want to look good in front of your fans!"  

On 5/31/2021 at 7:22 AM, VAfooter said:

...over the past 2-3 weeks, while jumping headfirst into the LBL stuff, I did listen to a few of the YouTube videos. Specifically, Cryptid Studies Institute, Johnny and Elijah Henderson, and the Paranormal Round Table with Josh Turner. I found both of these to be excellent sites. The hosts were fair and even handed in their treatment of the subject. Also, I found them to be extremely credible. I would recommend either/both based on my very limited experience with them.

Which brings up my main point. Which folks that do these sort of programs (cryptid/paranormal) do you find to be credible and trustworthy? Also, and maybe more importantly, which of these do you find to be either fake or without substance; people you should stay away from because they are just full of bad/false information? I was just curious as to who you like and dislike out there that do these cryptid types of shows?

Is LBL Land Between the Lakes?  I have heard that come up a few times but not sure if the creature is a BF or a bipedal wolf.  Not sure if they covered it in a podcast yet but the "Sawdustt BEAST" guys have been posting about their LBL investigation on FB.  They usually have pretty good podcast guests.

Edited by Arvedis
VAfooter
Admin

Yes, LBL = Land Between The Lakes (KY and TN). 

You are obviously not up to date on the seven types of Dogmen...  :rolleyes:

Type 3, Variant 2 has a chow head....

https://sasquatchchronicles.com/forums/topic/7-types-of-dogman/

Seriously, even I think that is a bit much. But I have seen reports that described the subject as having a German Shepard or Doberman head, almost exactly. Take that, for what you will... 

Arvedis

I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere. If I'm going to research a German Shepherd Man then what's to stop there being a Tabby Cat Man, or Ferret Man, etc.

SCIence

Hi. New guy here.  On this topic, I've noticed a shift in Dogman Encounters that seems to be promoting a "we come in peace" narrative.  Has anyone else noticed this, or am I imagining a trend where there Is none?  

OldMort
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere. If I'm going to research a German Shepherd Man then what's to stop there being a Tabby Cat Man, or Ferret Man, etc.

Hey, let's not leave out Goatman and Pigman! 

These are a "thing" according to podcast eyewitnesses.

Edited by OldMort
VAfooter
Admin

:lol:

Knew a guy in college from Parkin, AR. He swore up and down that there was a place around Parkin where you could go and see the "Hog Headed Woman". She was mighty fine looking from the neck down, but the head, well, it was a hog head, which sort of dampens youthful passions. You go out to this place, down a dirt road I think I recall, and she would eventually show up and chase the interlopers out of the area. She was fast as well, keeping up with the cars as they tore out. Supposedly, this happened on numerous occasions. I never went over to have a look for myself, but he told the story several times and it never changed. I do not remember if it were certain nights or conditions that she appeared. I always chalked it up as an urban legend (not that Parkin was in any way "urban"), but now, who knows... ;) 

Catmandoo
BFF Donor
2 hours ago, Arvedis said:

I volunteer to take up the Cat Man genre.

BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
6 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

I volunteer to take up the Cat Man genre.

Too late...I already claimed the Cat Man Forums...

BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
8 hours ago, SCIence said:

Hi. New guy here.  On this topic, I've noticed a shift in Dogman Encounters that seems to be promoting a "we come in peace" narrative.  Has anyone else noticed this, or am I imagining a trend where there Is none?  

No, it's a definite trend.  It's the Disney-fication of the Dogman phenomena.  People don't have any experience with nature or anything else other than Disney movies or other works of juvenile fiction that so many adults fetishize these days.

If you look at the history of this subject, it has always been an overwhelmingly hostile and aggressive one.  I consider Linda Godfrey's book to be the seminal work on the subject, staring with her original research on the Beast of Bray Road and beyond into witness accounts that she has collected.  Those encounters ranged from a feeling of pure evil and malevolence to a weird kind of indifference that somehow still seemed to convey an attitude of 'I am not going to do anything to you now, but know that I can take you anytime I want.'

It wasn't until Dogman became more popular on social media that you began to see these weird people talking about their 'wolfies'.  One lady claims that Dogman shaman come to her and mind-speak to her.  Most of these Dogman Facebook groups are no-kill and get super bent out of shape if someone mentions shooting one of these 'beautiful and misunderstood creatures'.  Now, a lot of people basically think of them as some sort of gentle forest protectors.  Then, there is the creepypasta that pops up occasionally about Dogman fighting rakes or whatever they are... 

A lot of these same people were claiming really elaborate habituations of Bigfoot before they turned to their Dogman fantasies.  They are mostly lonely recluses who have built up this weird sort of online fantasy life involving their Dogman partners.  

7 hours ago, VAfooter said:

:lol:

Knew a guy in college from Parkin, AR. He swore up and down that there was a place around Parkin where you could go and see the "Hog Headed Woman". She was mighty fine looking from the neck down, but the head, well, it was a hog head, which sort of dampens youthful passions. You go out to this place, down a dirt road I think I recall, and she would eventually show up and chase the interlopers out of the area. She was fast as well, keeping up with the cars as they tore out. Supposedly, this happened on numerous occasions. I never went over to have a look for myself, but he told the story several times and it never changed. I do not remember if it were certain nights or conditions that she appeared. I always chalked it up as an urban legend (not that Parkin was in any way "urban"), but now, who knows... ;) 

You honestly expect us to believe this part?

Catmandoo
BFF Donor
4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

It's the Disney-fication of the Dogman phenomena.

"Disney-fication" ?  You are good........probably have the copyright on that expression by now.

4 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

People don't have any experience with nature or anything else other than Disney movies or other works of juvenile fiction that so many adults fetishize these days.

Disney will push bad / hoax entertainment.  The Disney movie "Hidalgo" about the horse race in Arabia is a total hoax. No such race took place, just a BS story.  Forget the actors, the horses were talented fine animals.