Techniques used to attract BF to camp

Explorer

I briefly scanned this thread and may have missed an easy attractant.  Snoring.  I can be really good at this because I do 'cartoon snoring'. They know that a human is in my tent from quite a distance away = no surprises.

• Haha 1

I just bought this.

It will play different files you can download like MP3. It also has a decoy up top. The current one looks non descript. Just some fake fur and ribbon. It spins and bounces as the axle is springy.

Its also controlled by remote.

16 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I'm not sure how "to be prepared" and if it would even matter. One could carry a big-bore handgun close at hand but if a sasquatch wanted to take that person, it would be over in a NY minute. No muss, no fuss, just toodle loo. You probably wouldn't even see it coming until it had you.

Just my opinion but I think having a good dog with you would be an early warning system .  It doesn't mean you and your dog would survive a Sasquatch attack but if they do find my body I swear it will lying surrounded by empty cartridge cases :D

• Upvote 1

SSR Team
10 hours ago, norseman said:

I just bought this.

It will play different files you can download like MP3. It also has a decoy up top. The current one looks non descript. Just some fake fur and ribbon. It spins and bounces as the axle is springy.

Its also controlled by remote.

What are you gonna play on it Norse ?

Just the pre-loaded stuff or are you gonna look for what is thought to be Sas vocalizations to load on to it ?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BobbyO said:

What are you gonna play on it Norse ?

Just the pre-loaded stuff or are you gonna look for what is thought to be Sas vocalizations to load on to it ?

Im gonna appeal to the stomach primarily. But I may download a few Sas vocals. A little morbid but maybe even try a baby crying. Which actually a dying rabbit call is close. 

• Upvote 3

Perhaps there's a way to deploy the pheromones of a female gorilla in heat in the field during the mating season. Now that should have some potential! The only drawback I could see is getting access to these pheromones. Unless one is a primatologist, zookeeper, or a veterinarian of exotic animals then accessing gorilla pheromones will prove difficult. 

Edited by Wooly Booger
  • Confused 1

On 6/8/2021 at 2:42 AM, wiiawiwb said:

I'm not necessarily trying to trick a sasquatch but I want it to know I'm there and then use whatever technique I can to arouse its natural curiosity and elicit a response.

I think we're just about ready to try some overnight research trips. I want the forest creatures to know we are there - and the bears and cougars to leave and the bigfoots to come in closer and possibly interact. Whatever technique i use will have to be small and portable, so that puts some limits on options.

Our FLIR encounter with two last July was luck... but with previous sightings by friends in the area. The second possible sighting was accidental. We just both happened to be in the same place, looking at each other over a river. The possible one in a tree in a photo possibly followed us back to our truck, where we joked around and ate lunch. All these events were random luck... but in good locations with a history of activity, with appropriate technology and knowledge of their capabilities and rumored behaviors. The usual requirements of food and water sources and forest cover to hide in are essential, too.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

All these events were random luck...

Sometimes you need a bit of luck to give skill a chance, other times you need skill to give luck a chance.   They're not mutually exclusive.  

The only advice I'd offer anyone is to be the bait ... be interesting rather than trying to be sneaky.    The first most of us can manage, the latter .. we'd be fooling ourselves.

Whatever happens or doesn't, enjoy the camping.   It's a great excuse to eat the stuff we're not supposed to have at home.  :)

MIB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I think we're just about ready to try some overnight research trips. I want the forest creatures to know we are there - and the bears and cougars to leave and the bigfoots to come in closer and possibly interact. Whatever technique i use will have to be small and portable, so that puts some limits on options.

Our FLIR encounter with two last July was luck... but with previous sightings by friends in the area. The second possible sighting was accidental. We just both happened to be in the same place, looking at each other over a river. The possible one in a tree in a photo possibly followed us back to our truck, where we joked around and ate lunch. All these events were random luck... but in good locations with a history of activity, with appropriate technology and knowledge of their capabilities and rumored behaviors. The usual requirements of food and water sources and forest cover to hide in are essential, too.

Backpacking into a location forces us to make decisions about what is most important. Northwind recently mentioned you have a water filter so that eliminates the volume and weight of fluids you need to carry. When I do an overnight, I never devote space in my pack to cooking. I'll bring a protein bar, trail mix, an apple or two, and the like.  I would reserve the space and weight for your FLIR, any sound recorder or player, lights (if you use them as an attractant), and protection.

Do you have an idea that you will use to attract a sasquatch?

Last year, as far as you and Northwind having a little bit of luck, the sage words of Samuel Goldwyn (MGM)..."The harder I work, the luckier I get" and Thomas Edison..."Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." come to mind. 

You two have earned the good events that have come your way. Kindly, never lose sight of that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MIB said:

It's a great excuse to eat the stuff we're not supposed to have at home.

And better than using one's FLIR only to watch the heated floor in front of one's refrigerator, or the heat signature left over from one's footprint on some tile. That stuff is great for impressing the grandkids, nnnnnot so much for finding Sassy.

On 6/8/2021 at 1:35 PM, ShadowBorn said:

All i can say is that they do love salmon and I mean the smoked stuff.

Interesting. We will try that, @ShadowBorn!