Camp Security

wiiawiwb

• 2 weeks later...
BFF Patron

I have a driveway alarm setup that would work well as a movement detector in camp.     Allows you to have 4 sensors that would pretty much cover 360 degrees if they were pointed out away from camp.    Sensors  are wireless and the receiver uses 6 volts.     You select the sensor sound so by sound or looking at the receiver you can tell what zone has been activated.    A dog barking is something in my driveway and the song "Coming around the mountain"  playing is something in front of my house or shop.    It has 4 zones but I only use two.     Normally serves as a UPS detector but once someone showed up at the wrong house.   

5 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I have a driveway alarm setup that would work well as a movement detector in camp.     Allows you to have 4 sensors that would pretty much cover 360 degrees if they were pointed out away from camp.    Sensors  are wireless and the receiver uses 6 volts.     You select the sensor sound so by sound or looking at the receiver you can tell what zone has been activated.    A dog barking is something in my driveway and the song "Coming around the mountain"  playing is something in front of my house or shop.    It has 4 zones but I only use two.     Normally serves as a UPS detector but once someone showed up at the wrong house.   

Infrared?

Camp security? How about CHEAP (and lightweight) camp security? I go off about 25 ft. from camp with a spool of good thread and a bag with four cowbells in it. I tie the end of the thread to  tree number one at about two ft. off the ground, string it along about for about 50ft. and tie it off to tree number two, hang a cowbell on it over a rock, tie a second piece of thread to tree number two, and run it to tree number three and repeat the process until a 50ft. square, four-quadrant bell system is created. Small animals can get by under the threads but taller ones will break through one of the "barriers" and the cowbell dropping onto the rock will tell me where. Four cowbells and thread? $25.00. Tin cans would make the system cost next to nothing.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Camp security? How about CHEAP (and lightweight) camp security? I go off about 25 ft. from camp with a spool of good thread and a bag with four cowbells in it. I tie the end of the thread to  tree number one at about two ft. off the ground, string it along about for about 50ft. and tie it off to tree number two, hang a cowbell on it over a rock, tie a second piece of thread to tree number two, and run it to tree number three and repeat the process until a 50ft. square, four-quadrant bell system is created. Small animals can get by under the threads but taller ones will break through one of the "barriers" and the cowbell dropping onto the rock will tell me where. Four cowbells and thread? $25.00. Tin cans would make the system cost next to nothing.

They use that technique in the walking dead, except they use anything metal they can find. Cowbells are at a premium during the zombie apocalypse.

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

The cowbell/tin-can method works well but assumes the noise created is certain to awaken you.  If I have an intruder violating my camp, I don't want to take any chances and know the personal alarm will get my attention.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MontanaFooter said:

Glock. Sleep with it golf with it to

Yup, my G20 really helps me get quality sleep.

BFF Patron
On 6/28/2021 at 5:17 PM, NorthWind said:

Infrared?

Yes it is IR.     If used in a camping situation I would point it at the camp so not visible from outside camp.     An approaching thing would pass it and be picked up after passing it.   The senders are brown and blend in with tree bark pretty well.    Ideally a BF would pass it and be beyond it and not see the IR beam.   The one I have is good for nearly 200 feet from sender to receiver.    4 would ring a camp very well.      I like the music option because if went off BF would think you are playing a radio or something and not perceive it as an alarm of some sort.    Would probably not associate music coming from camp with anything some distance on a tree.   

I bet the woman dragged out of her tent by a bear recently wished she had a Glock when the bear was chewing on her legs.  

56 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

I bet the woman dragged out of her tent by a bear recently wished she had a Glock when the bear was chewing on her legs.  

Quoted for truth.

On 6/17/2021 at 11:37 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Do you use them in groups of 4 and box your campsite in?

Yes, although I try to put my tent near brush thick enough to form a barrier on one side so that I need to run only three lines.  Another option is to  run only two 90-degree lines, if possible. To do that, you need to have an eye hook in a tree and run the line through that and keep it off the tree.

2 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Another perimeter alarm. On Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YJ4P1PV/?coliid=I1ZIQAS2DNRZ1K&colid=38AMS2I2V9WE1&psc=1

I have noted the above item, but not purchased it.   I have cowbells and the little ding-a-ling bells that you attach to the end of a fishing pole.

At this point, how many people are willing to part with primers? They are no where to be found.

On 6/15/2021 at 3:42 AM, wiiawiwb said:

I've pondered using IR detectors with lights as another means of camp security to detect anything nearby.

Ponder on: TrailMaster Trail Monitors. Not cheap.  Made for the outdoor environment, long battery life, housing made out of Noryl which does not absorb odors, small physical footprint.

The passive units TM300 & TM550 work on heat and motion of the target animal. I don't think the TM300 is available. The TM550 has output jacks to trip a camera or other devices.

The area monitored is a wedge shaped zone that is 65' deep by 150 degrees. At a range of 60', the sensing zone is 6' high.  65' may be beyond your trip wires. The trip wires may be seen ( think Predator ).

https://www.trailmaster.com/

Depending on a persons wish to monitor visitors or scare them away, passive IR systems could work.

I set up my cowbells and ding- a-ling bells close in, at bear shoulder height. I want hairy / furry / feathered visitors.

So far, this thread is 2 pages. I am waiting for someone to present a claymore scenario.

I do a lot of off-road, Into The Middle of Nowhere, solo vehicle camping. Mostly in either the Cascades or the Olympics, both of which are in Washington state. Over the years I have learned a few safety tips. 

If you camp at the end of a dead end Forest Service spur or the like, put your vehicle parked facing back the way you came. This is so if anyone happens along, especially at night, you can put the lights on them. Never park sideways or facing AWAY from the approach to your site. Put the lights toward the direction of any possible human threat, or any stranger driving up on you. 

Get powerful flashlights and the smaller tactical ones and keep a few around at all times. 

HINT: If you are camped WAY out in the middle of nowhere and someone comes along in a vehicle at 2 in the morning, they may not be dangerous, but they might be drunk. Most people don't cruise Forest Service roads that far out from the main road that late at night. Most people will already be camped somewhere. It doesn't always happen that way, but if you are camped say...15 miles from the main highway at the end of some spur road...you should be cautious about anyone approaching in a vehicle after dark. The Forest rangers generally don't go out at night that far off the main road without a good reason. Mostly they are daytime folks. Mostly...

Consider adding a couple of off-road lights to your vehicle. I have this old Nissan truck and too many lights. But I feel safer and if anyone comes up on me out there, I will definitely switch them on if they approach after dark. 

People suggest guns here and there. Sure, I have a few. But at night I will always reach for the 12 gauge first. Believe it or not, it scares the bad people a lot more than almost any pistol. Especially when you snap a shell in there at night. People hear it, they know what it means. I attached a picture of the truck I take into the wilderness. Upgraded front lighting with a couple of Hella off road lights. Combine that with a good flashlight and you will be able to see them before they see you. If people come up on your site and they are legit and harmless, they generally stop some distance off and announce themselves politely. Watch out they aren't drunk. 

No big deal, but I am old as dirt and have been going into the hills since well...the 70's. Never had a problem except once, but that's a different story for later. :)

frontEndpic.jpg

Edited by XoXSciFiGuy
  • Upvote 3