The other side of the coin

vinchyfoot

So, there's always the possibility that Bigfoot, doesn't exist. If that could be proven at some point, what would be the psychological underlying reasons that some many people would have believed that it did? Not just in modern times, but going back into pre Eurpoean times as well?

Proving the creature doesn't exist is even more problematic that proving it does. Until proper scientific methodology is thrown at the issue then all discussions will remain just that...discussion, with the winner only being the current limbo the subject lives in. There is more than one article out there that speaks to/speculates upon the psychology of why Humans need such things. None of them, as far as I can see mentions a whit about reports or evidence, trace or otherwise. It's still a fair topic, though.

Edited by hiflier

Throughout history we have always manifested mythical creatures.  I would venture a guess that it’s to explain the bumps in the night we hear or put an explanation to an unknown event.   Plus who does not like a nice scary story by the fire! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

To the OP: Prove to me unicorns don't exist.

Or let me show you the dragon in my garage.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

To the OP: Prove to me unicorns don't exist.

Or let me show you the dragon in my garage.

The question is a legitimate one, as the OP title suggests. Pretty sure unicorns are pretty iffy

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

So, there's always the possibility that Bigfoot, doesn't exist. If that could be proven at some point, what would be the psychological underlying reasons that some many people would have believed that it did? Not just in modern times, but going back into pre Eurpoean times as well?

I think because homo sapiens have shared the planet with a wide variety of Hominid species in the past? (We know this as fact)

Some of these interactions most assuredly where not pleasant.

So humans are still on the look out for boogeymen in our hinterlands.

Whether they be Native American, European,etc. 

I suppose it is theoretically possible that Bigfoot doesn't exist, but it is highly unlikely.  In fact, proper usage of Occam's Razor would suggest that Bigfoot do exist.  The Native American legends, centuries of eyewitness reports, thousands of tracks, the Patterson-Gimlin Film, and other evidence such as hair, DNA coming back as unknown primate, vocalizations etc... all add up and could easily prove a case in a court of law.

Of course science has different standards that law when it comes to proof, but the facts as they exist speak volumes.  It is far more likely and indeed logical to suppose that these animals exist than the reverse.   

Edited by Wooly Booger

3 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

In my opinion it would just be something that was just an imagination of the human psychic. As it stands today it is not and it leaves something that is physical in nature.

Physical qualities, actions, or things are connected with a person's body, rather than with their mind.

The nature of something is its basic quality or character.

1 hour ago, vinchyfoot said:

The question is a legitimate one, as the OP title suggests. Pretty sure unicorns are pretty iffy

Unicorns are only iffy if you dont know the roots in ancient languages and historic  backgrounds of the Unicorn. Romans had heard stories of ancient historic lore of the middle eastern religions and how they, in their tongue, anointed leaders in the past using the horn of a unicorn. If you know ancient Hebrew or have a way to translate it, then the "unicorn" from ancient hebrew texts you'll find was a hollowed out horn from ancient rhino found in Egypt and the surrounding areas. Northman heard these stories on their travels and ran with it. They began trading and selling the tooth of narwhals as unicorn horns giving us the modern representation of the spiraled horn rather than a ornatly decorated rhino tusk. 

Now that ive ruined everyones child hood dreams, you can actually come to my garage (an 800sqft reptile room) and see my dragons lol @Incorrigible1. They are disappointingly small, but some just as cool as real monsters (one species was what they based Godzilla off of does that count as a dragon?) and a couple species I work with are critically endangered!! 

As for the OP question, the task of proving its not there is just as difficult as proving it does in my opinion. But could all of those who experianced something that they actually saw, not just heard, be having some sort of mass hallucination? Maybe, but how or why? Maybe it was all just a way to explain away something they couldnt explain, like a hominin that hadnt quiet been assimilated/killed/extinct just yet. Some sort of last of their kind stray living in the forests near small up and coming civilizations. Then the image of this "other"  was geneticly burned into our make up as being this physically superior and terrifying bizzaro version of one of us unless the herd of Sapian Sapiens stuck together. You know, the whole "apes stronger together" thing from PotA. IF there really isn't something in the forests that ive been chasing down for years, finding random bare foot hominid prints in 23 degree weather, then maybe its my primordial brain plugging in this imagery of what our ancestors saw to make sense of something else. Then the question is, what was the something else? A misidentified animal? A screen memory? And WHY? Welcome to rabbit hole that is my brain sometimes lol.

Let's make a monster to keep our children from straying too far from the dwelling. Giants are scary, so we'll make it a giant. Animals such as apes can be scary so let's make it an ape. What is more scary than a super giant ape? One that is also part human, like the boogie man. How do we finish it? Make it a night dweller. Now you have a super scary monster that if seen, could alter your life forever! It's the perfect monster that is larger and scarier than all get out, but, not so big as to be seen a lot, so you have the fear of the unknown. Is it there, hiding in the bushes? Behind a tree?

I can see why some would invent a creature similar to a Sasquatch. I can also see why a Sasquatch would, could, and more than likely does exist. I just wish I could find someone to take this unicorn tattoo my ex-wife talked me into getting during a drunken night at a party of my arm.

• Haha 1

Admin
9 hours ago, hiflier said:

Proving the creature doesn't exist is even more problematic that proving it does

That's correct, you can't prove a negative. That's why the law deems you innocent until proven guilty.

• Upvote 1

I guess it's possible they don't but that would mean very credible people are either mistaken bears and moose they have seen as bigfoot or are just 

telling lies .  Since I have never seen one I can't say I'm 100% sure but the evidence tips the scale that they do exist or have at one time in my opinion .

But on the same note I do think there are people who are delusional about it when they think they mind speak to them .

Could it be possible ?  I highly doubt it but they cause no harm in thinking they do.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

So prove it.

Unicorns have nothing to do with the OP, and frankly, it looks like you are attempting to do nothing other than derail a perfectly fine thread out of apparent dislike for the OP.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic